ESS hangs Lenovo Client Services/TPM

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kwg, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I'm experiencing the issue quoted below, first reported in the Beta forum. It prevents me from logging on to my Lenovo Thinkpad T62. For me, though, the situation is even worse than it was for SutterCane, because I can't even log on in normal Safe Mode in order to remove ESS. The problem began with a reboot following the installation of ESS 3.0.560.

In an attempt to circumvent the problem, I disabled the the embedded security chip in BIOS. However, I am still unable to log on to my computer at all, even in Safe Mode.

2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

3. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I've been running NOD32 without issue for the last two years. Like SutterCane, I think the current problem is a consequence of Eset firewall misbehavior. At present, my major problem is that I cannot even log on to my computer, even in Safe Mode.

4. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Oops !!

5. kwg

kwg Registered Member

It's OK. :) Your suggestion was a good guess (since I hadn't given you more information).

6. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I've managed to recover from the problem I described in the initial post. Here's what I did:

1. Booted from the Windows XP installation CD.

2. Used Recovery Console to rename the eset folder to _eset.

3. Rebooted normally into Windows. I experienced no problem this time (except, of course, that ESS didn't load).

4. Renamed the _eset folder back to eset.

5. Uninstalled ESS 3.0.560.

6. Rebooted normally into Windows.

7. Installed ESS 3.0.563.

8. Rebooted normally into Windows.

So far the problem has not recurred.

7. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I've had a recurrence of this problem: Thinkpad T42 hangs during boot while "Checking the status of the embedded security chip." The only way to get the computer to boot completely was, once again, to use Recovery Console to rename the eset directory to _eset and then reinstall ESS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.