Upgraded rig XP SP3 and Security Setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Roger_, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Hi,

Having upgraded my rig, I am setting up a new setup of security software.
    Before, I was sticking with:
    - XP SP2
    - Jetico Firewall 1.0.1.61 (free)
    - NOD32 2.7 (paid)
    - Prosecurity 1.43 (Paid)
    - HostsMan
    - SpywareBlaster
    - EnoughIsEnough

With this hardware upgrade, I am installing from scratch and, though I installed the slipstreamed XP SP2, I think it is now logical to update it to the latest SP3 patches.
    In the meanwhile, we got a new laptop with XP SP3 to be shared among our home users, I set it up with Avira free and Comodo Firewall with Defense+ (hardened according to Kees1958 advices from the thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=234443) and it has shown no problems so far.
    So, for my upgraded XP SP3 rig, though I was thinking of replacing Jetico with Comodo Firewall and Defense+, I still do not completely trust Defense+ HIPS capabilities...

Questions:
    - Would Prosecurity 1.43 work with SP3 or should I look for its substitute, Real-time Defender? If so, where can I download RTD from?
    - Would EQSecure be better? Would it not be too tricky to learn to set up for an experienced Prosecurity user?
    - Or should I simply rely on hardened Defense+?
    - To replace EnoughIsEnough, is there a more practical tool to harden IE at demand that is not too mazy? I once tried sandboxing with GesWall and found it was a bit tricky...
    I usually browse the Net with Opera, ocasionally with Firefox, and just use IE as a last resource for IE-compatible only sites.
    - As I have gone through some threads reporting troubles with NOD32 v.3 and v.4, should I stick with 2.7 for SP3 or is it a no-no and I should upgrade (to 3 or 4?)?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

2. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Anyone?... :(
    Each and every advice/opinion is very welcome!

Thanks!

Roger

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try comodo, Defense plus in clean PC mode (choose proactive protection) looks like PS or RTD free. I would stick to products which are being developed. To extra protect your browsers use the freebie:
    - EdgeGuard Solo free (from Blueridge)
    - AVG LinkScanner free

You will be fine

4. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Thanks much, Kees, I will try that setup!
    Will Comodo do well if I just import the settings from the laptop installation (already set to Proactive and hardened, just wanted to avoid some duplicate work...)?

5. Kees1958

Should work, remove stale rules and try all internet facing aps once

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

RealTime Defender was soon discontinued, it seems to had being only a trial. As HIPS, CIS Defense + ( free ) or Malware Defender ( pay ). As fw why Jetico ? Comodo fw is one of the best, and free. Online Armor idem also if the free vesion is not much configurable.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

EdgeGuard Solo is still being developed? I thought that AppGuard took it's place, and become a paid product?

Regards

8. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Yep, I am not keeping Jetico fw, definitely changing to Comodo's.

That doubt also crossed my mind, especially after going through the thread Introducing EdgeGuard Solo Beta (zero-day malware defense)...

Also, the EdgeGuard Solo setup file I downloaded from BlueRidge is a bit too old: dates back from April 2008.

9. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Is there a kind enlightened mind willing to clear out these last questions on 'old' EdgeGuard Solo versus AppGuard?? :doubt:

Thanks!

10. Kees1958

EdgeGuard Solo is a stripped down version of the previous AppGuard. The beta still works great. I think BlueRidge will provide a new version after AppGuard gets a major update.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.