Updated NOD32 Wont Auto update Anymore

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by poutine, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Hi.
    Bit the bullet and updated NOD32 650 to 657, just installed on top, went very well but It reset my definitions back to 23/4/08 and now NOD refuses to update on it own. ! Its dont this twice now. :mad: What gives ?
    Thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Restart your computer and see if it updates.

3. poutine

I rebooted twice, still no joy had to update manually. It set the def's back so far, dont understand it ? It kept my settings but wouldnt auto update.
    Uninstalled and went back to 650 for now. Cheers.

4. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

This happens to me each time i reinstall because it's using the defs that ship in the download. However it usually only takes 4-6 attempts at a download to get updated.

5. poutine

Thanks, but i dont like it when it wont update by itself. It should auto update like 650 does !! Just seems stuck in April. lol.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does it work if you run the Regular update task manually in Scheduler? If so, then the task must be run in a 1-hour interval unless you set it otherwise.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Has windows scheduler been disabled somehow ?

8. poutine

Hi,
    Everything was left at default, only thing i changed was "splash screen" If
    scheduler had been disabled, it must be that NOD itself did it.
    Anyway i cant check it now as im back on 650, and none of the fixes applied to me so im not worried about this at present.
    Funny how the definitions went back to April 23rd though for a newly released Version ! o_O
    Thanks everyone.

9. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

One of our machines on 3.0.650 quit updating 5/23/08. If I grab the config, it looks good. It's just not updating. The guy goes into the GUI and it's all screwed up, his words. (This is a remote PC which updates directly with eSet and reports to my admin server.) This machine hasn't been rebooted since 5/23/08 and it's Vista.

I had the guy upgrade to 3.0.657 and reboot & it started updating again.

10. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

I didn't mean it does it everytime. Just seems to be the first time after installation / upgrade. Normally it updates just fine. All the builds so far have worked like this for me and several other people i know and maintain NOD32 for on their PCs.

11. poutine

I left it for an hour before i gave up, i also cleared the cache. Bit of a mystery but no harm done. No matter. ;)

12. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

Now a PC running 3.0.657 quit updating about 3 hours ago. It refuses to upgrade to 3140, though the rest of the LAN has. I tried the tricks we used with the bad 3199/3120 patterns but still no update. PC had been up for 4 days.

13. poutine

For the hell of it i tried it again, back to April and wont update on its own.
    In services eset http is set to manual. Is that right ? If it isnt then the latest version is seriously screwy. Anyway cant update unless i do it.

Check this out !!
    http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1059/nod32updatescrewedupae5.jpg

nod32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What if anything does your logs have concerning updates and have you verified Windows Scheduler service is enabled and\or your firewall is not the issue ?

In the Nod32 Scheduler/Planner section, does the first item Regular automatic update show a Last run time and is it indeed still checked ?

If I recall correctly, that service is associated with and used only for Business editions. All of my prior installs have had that service selected as manual.

One thing you could consider is to select Diagnostic records as the Minimum verbosity for notifications in the Alerts and notifications area of Setup. You possibly should then receive an e-mail concerning an update attempt....successful or not.

Bubba

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, this issue is generally caused by some form of corruption on your system; as such you will have to try multiple solutions in attempt to address this.

Please ensure you are using the latest version of ESET Antivirus 3.0 and begin with Part 1 below:

Part 1
    For Windows XP (Vista is similar).

1. Click on “Start”.

2. Click on “Run”.

3. Type in: cmd

4. Type in: ping u20.eset.com

Other update server addresses to ping are:

u21.eset.com
    u22.eset.com
    u23.eset.com
    u24.eset.com
    u30.eset.com

5. Do you receive a response from our update server? If yes, please continue with the instructions below.

Next, please open up the ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security Control Center by completing the following:

For Windows XP

1. Click on “Start”.

2. Click on “All Programs”.

3. Click on “ESET”.

4. Click on “ESET NOD32 Antivirus” or “ESET Smart Security”.

5. Click on “ESET NOD32 Antivirus” or “ESET Smart Security”, this will open up the ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security Control Center.

6. Click on “Setup”.

7. Click on “Enter entire advanced setup tree”.

8. Click on “Update”.

9. On the right hand side make sure the “Update server” is set to its DEFAULT SETTING of "Choose Automatically".

10. Click on “Advanced update setup”.

11. Click on the “HTTP Proxy” tab and make sure there it is set to “Use global proxy server settings” (99.99% of people do not use a proxy).

12. Click on the “LAN” tab and make sure it is set to “System Account (default)”.

13. Click “OK”.

14. Click “OK”

15. While connected to the Internet, click “Update”.

16. Click on “Update virus signature database”.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security should now update unless a firewall is blocking the Internet connection.

Part 2
    If the above fails continue below:

Please download and run CCleaner from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ this will clean out your temp files.

Next, for Windows XP:

1. Click on “Start”.

3. Click on “ESET”.

4. Click on either “ESET NOD32 Antivirus” or “ESET Smart Security”.

5. Click on “ESET NOD32 Antivirus” or “ESET Smart Security”, this will open up the ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security Control Center.

6. Click on “Setup”.

7. Click on “Enter entire advanced setup tree…” or "Toggle advanced mode".

8. Click on “Update” in the left hand tree.

9. Click on the “Clear” button alongside “Clear update cache”.

10. Click on “OK”.

11. Reboot your Computer.

12. Go back to the ESET NOD32 Antivirus / ESET Smart Security Control Center.

13. Click on “Update”.

14. While on the internet click on “Update virus signature database”.

15. Click on “OK”.

Part 3
    Is your ESET software now up to date? If not, please continue below:

1. Download and SAVE WinsockXPfix from here: http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_winsockxpfix.html

Next, for Windows XP:

1. Click on Start.

2. Click on Run.

3. Type in cmd

4. Click on OK.

5. Type in netsh winsock reset (Please note there are spaces between the netsh and winsock and reset)

6. Press ENTER

7. Restart your computer.

If the above does not work due to an issue with Windows, run WinsockXPfix that you downloaded above and follow the prompts.

For Windows VISTA

1. Click on Start button.

2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.

3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator.

4. Allow elevation request.

5. Type netsh winsock reset (there are spaces between each word) in the Command Prompt shell

6. Press the Enter key.

7. Restart the computer.

Next, please also check for missing or damaged files within Windows:

1. From the Start menu, select Run.

2. In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)

3. Select the OK button.

4. Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.

5. Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

6. Try updating again.

Part 4

Please check that the following files exist:

C Drive> Windows> Temp

C Drive> Documents and Settings> (User Name) XXXXXX> Local Settings> Temp

Do the "Temp and TMP" folders exist in "Environmental Variables" when you right click on My Computer as per the screenshots found in this link? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=764434#post764434

When you then navigate to the folders mentioned in "Environmental Variables" are they actually there?

This error message is solely related to the following:
    • Not enough space on disk
    • Missing Temp folder(s)
    • Insufficient rights to write to Temp folder
    • Possibly a damaged archive, although it's unlikely.
    • Permissions on the directories, not share permissions, but actual security permissions.

Please see here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Sometimes the only method is to delete and reinstall the Temp folders.

You can also try running this file http://www.nod32.it/getfile.php?tool=settmp it will set both the user and system TEMP/TMP variables to c:\windows\temp. Just make sure the folder exists.

With Vista, you can also try turning off UAC in the Vista Control Panel.

Part 5

Please reinstall a fresh copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus/ESET Smart Security by completing the following:

1. Go to www.eset.com

2. Under “Purchased Software", click on “Home Users”.

3. Click on "Download" alongside “ESET Smart Security for Win XP/2000/Vista (32-bit)”. If you are running Windows XP or Vista 32bit edition, which most people are.

4. Up will come a "prompt box" asking for a Username and Password.

5. Copy and Paste your "Username" that was given to you, it begins ESET NOD32 Antivirus- It can be found in your Tax Invoice/License.

6. Copy and Paste your "Password" that was given to you and can be found directly underneath your Username.

7. Click on "Save" (do NOT try to run a program directly from the Internet, always save it to your computer first).

8. Save the file to your "Desktop".

9. When it has fully downloaded, close the download window.

10. Uninstall your current version of ESET Smart Security by clicking on Start> All Programs ESET> ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus> Uninstall.

11. Reboot your Computer.

12. Go to your Desktop (the first window that appears when you start up your computer and it has finished loading).

13. Double click on the file that you downloaded.

14. Follow the prompts.

Part 6
    If this still fails to resolve the issue, please try the following:

1. Delete all of the .dat files in c:\program files\eset\eset NOD32 Antivirus. One file will not delete (probably em002_32.dat), reboot and delete the remaining file.

2. Reboot again and try updating.

Part 7
    If this still fails to resolve the issue, please complete the following:

For Windows XP.

1. Click on “Start”.

3. Click on “ESET”.

4. Click on “ESET Smart Security” or “ESET NOD32 Antivirus”.

5. Click on “ESET Smart Security” or “ESET NOD32 Antivirus”, this will open up the ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus Control Center.

6. Click on “Setup”.

7. Click on “Enter advanced setup tree” or “Toggle Advanced mode”.

8. Click on “OK” to go back to the main ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus Control Center” window.

9. Click on “Import and export settings”.

10. Click on the Radio button for “Export settings”.

11. Click on the “…”(3 dots) on the right hand side of the “File name” field.

12. Click on a location where you are going to export the file to, in this case I always recommend to the “Desktop”.

13. Click in the “File name” field and call the file “ESET Smart Security Settings” or “ESET NOD32 Antivirus Settings”.

14. Click on “Save”.

15. Click on “OK”.

Now you will see a file called “ESET Smart Security Settings” on your “Desktop”, please forward this to your local ESET Support Office ZIPPED together with the following:

1. Download and SAVE to your Desktop, ESET SysInspector 32 bit edition from here: http://www.eset.com/download/sysinspector.php

2. Go to your Desktop and double click on the file names “SysInspector.exe”.

3. Scroll down and click on “I agree”.

4. ESET SysInspector will now begin scanning your entire computer and you can see this in the progress bar.

5. When it has completed scanning you will see a colourful screen.

6. In the top right hand side click on “File”.

7. Click on “Save log”.

8. Click on “Yes”.

9. In the left hand side click on the button that says “Desktop”.

10. Up the top of the same Windows it will now say “Save in Desktop”.

11. Down the bottom of the same Window you will see the “File name”, change this to “System Scan”.

12. Click on “Save”.

13. Click on “OK”.

14. Close SysInspector.

15. “Do you really want to quit”, yes.

16. Attach to the same email the file called “System Scan.zip” located on your Desktop.

ESET will check this log and advise you further.

Cheers :D

16. poutine

Thank you for all that, but my sys is clean installed and the version 650 worked flawlessly, anyway i see no reason why installing the latest 657 over the old one would cause all those issues !!!!
    Anyway it updated this morning after being off all night and i cleared out the whole cache folder before shutting off last night.
    What a performance though and why such an old installed defintion file (april 23 ) o_O I think thats part of the reason. The new 657 should have a later def file date shouldnt it ?
    Thank you Blackspear for all those solutions , that will be handy for a lot of people i'm sure.

Thanks again. ;)

Seems alright now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.