Update conflicts with ZoneAlarm - help!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by freeflier, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeflier

freeflier Registered Member

I recently downloaded and installed the trial version of NOD32. Whenever an update is attempted (either automatic or manual), all my internet access gets locked up - neither Nescape, nor Firefox, nor my email can get out. This only happens if I'm running ZoneAlarm - if I turn ZA off, then the update works ok.

Oh, and I don't get the ZA pop-up, either - the one that asks if this program should access the internet.

I contacted NOD support, and they said to uninstall NOD, run LSPfix, then reinstall. I did that, but the problem persists.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix?

If it matters, I'm running Win98, ZA2.6.362, NOD32 2.7

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would try the reverse, uninstall ZoneAlarm, repair Winsock check that NOD32 updates and then reinstall ZoneAlarm. You may have to repair Winsock again after this.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. freeflier

Ok, I uninstalled ZA, reinstalled, ran LSPfix (it reported "no problems"), tried to run update and same thing happens. ZA doesn't recognize that NOD ever attempted to connect to the internet, and NOD Update is stuck trying to get the update. Clicking "Abort" doesn't work, either. Well, it works in that I get the dialog box, and I click "OK", but it doesn't abort the update attempt. And I have to reboot my system to regain my internet connection.

If I leave ZA turned off, then the update process goes OK (I get the report that I'm all up to date), and life is good - except I don't want to run my system without a firewall.

Do I really have to choose between NOD and ZA? You'd think I should be able to have both.

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Try the following: Click the Zone Alarm Program tab: Bring up NOD 32 there are probably several components. Click trust level. Make sure you have 2 green lines trusted in the first box. Then make sure a check is in place all the way across.Click the first Nod 32 entry.Look down below on right Entry detail Click options.Look at the box Advanced program control. Click Allow application interaction. If that doesn't work try blackspear again.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If the suggestions above don't help, may I suggest dumping ZA and installing Comodo. Just as simple, without the bugs. And it's free. :D

6. Blackspear

This is not a Winsock issue, it is ZoneAlarm blocking NOD32's access to the internet. You need to open ZA and removed NOD32 from ZA's program list and then click update now in the NOD32 Control Centre. ZA should then prompt that NOD32 is trying to access the internet, which you need to allow.

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Yup... being a ZA user... only way update wouldn't work. Poster clicked no when they should have clicked yes.

8. freeflier

No, the problem is not simply clicking "no" instead of "yes." I know how to look at ZA's program list and see (and edit) the settings.

ZA doesn't list NOD, or NOD Update, or anything of the sort, in the "Programs" tab. ZA does not ask whether NOD should access the internet, like it does for my web browser, email, newsreader, etc.

Yes, I think the problem is between the Update and ZA (hence the title of my post).

Every other program I've ever run that connects to the internet, Zone Alarm asks me if it should be allowed to do so (at least until I check "remember this setting"). Not NOD Update. Seems that NOD is attempting to connect in a way that ZA does not recognize, but is still blocked by ZA.

How can I get ZA to recognize that NOD is trying to access the internet, and to ask me whether to allow it?

9. Blackspear

The issue is with ZoneAlarm.

The best thing to do is ask the question in the Official ZoneAlarm Forum as the issue is with ZoneAlarm not NOD32.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without coming across as disputing your comments concerning your knowledge of ZA....I can assure you there should be a NOD32 Kernel Service entry showing in ZA's program list. Having used ZA for 5 years and as a beta tester that whole time....I will agree with others that your issue lies with ZA. One of the things that is usually a cause of this is a corrupted\confused database. I suggest one of two things....complete un-install of ZA or resetting of the Interent Logs database.

Or

Bubba

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

A possible suggestion. Since ZA version 7 is in beta and due to be released soon, you could save yourself the agony of a uninstall/re-install now, and do it when you upgrade. That's if you know the new version is OK and not full of bugs. The new version may not give you the problem you're having with NOD. Then again if you do it now, it'll be fresh in your mind, and you can sail through the upgrade uninstall/install. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.