Unable to login to windows after recovery.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hodnik, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodnik

hodnik Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I have been having some troubles with TI and DD on my computer and until recently haven't been able to successfully do anything. Made a bartPE CD thanks to mustang and now am able to at least perform tasks such as resizing partitions and recovering partitions - sort of.

My setup, ATI 9.3854, DD10.
    Seagate Sata HDD.
    Partition 1 - windows install
    Partition 2 - attemped recover of windows install
    Partition 3 - backups

In the past I have been dual booting with the setup shown about. I use two copies of windows and have the choice to pick when one I want loaded at startup. Problems arise when I try and recover an image to either of the 1st 2 partitions.

I already have an image for partition 1 and an image for partition 2 that I would like to use. Now that bartPE lets me actually complete the task (TI nor DD was reading my HDD), I run into the problem of not being able to log into windows.

I booted with bartPE
    I started ATI
    I chose recovery
    I picked partition 2
    I restored to partition 2
    Returned to partition 1
    Edited boot.ini to include an option for partition 2
    Rebooted and picked partition 2
    My error follows and the system just stays there.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/hodnik/SSPX0082.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

3. hodnik

hodnik Registered Member

hmm. I did search and the reason I posted is cause I couldn't find a solution to my problem.

Some of the threads I looked at are..
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=143719&highlight=login
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=115525
    and a few others.

The only relevant thing I found is this

"Please be aware that the most probable reason for the problem you have encountered is that you have created and afterwards restored an image of a single system partition only, while the original 40 GB hard drive contains several other partitions in addition to the system one. If that's the case then the Windows installation you have transferred to the "new" 18 GB hard drive just can not find the other partitions it "knows" about, which prevents it from proper functioning.

If my assumption is correct then I recommend you to create an image of the entire 40 GB hard drive by checking the tickbox near the hard drive's name (see respective screen shot in section 4.2 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide). After you restore the image of the entire 40 GB hard drive to the "new" 18 GB disk and "swap" the drives, you should be able to boot into Windows without a problem. Please be aware that you should completely unplug the original 40 GB hard drive prior to booting into Windows for the first time, since keeping two identical hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems."

Ok, that makes sense.. sorta. In my situation it is saying that images will only work if the partitions are the same as when the images were taken?

I have three partitions
    Partition 1 win xp
    Partition 2 win xp
    Partition 3

I have images of 1 and 2. Since I have taken images of 1 and 2 the partition sizes have changed - is this the problem?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

So what happened when you attempted a repair from the XP recovery console as recommended in the link?

F.

5. hodnik

hodnik Registered Member

Well finally got back to this. Repartitioned my drive as I had given up with the dual boot option and imaging.

Was successfully booting into my first partion windows.
    Loaded bartPE & TI9,
    Recovered the appropriate image to partition 2.
    Restarted to add the line to boot.ini.
    restarted to the recovered image - and got no blue screen .. just logged on where i left off when I took the image.

I was going to go through the windows repair method - but for some reason it worked this time around? Any thoughts?

Thanks for encouraging me to give it another go - otherwise I was gonna stay using one boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.