UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

Hi Tigzy,

What version do you mean? The official version from their site seems to be 2.0 (like mine, not 51). Where did you find this?

https://www.gog.com/galaxy

2. Trash

Trash Registered Member

Good morning:

With the aim of helping to refine ucheck a little more, I share this screen.

ucheck.jpg

Except for the BIG-IP Edge Client program (which is a program that I have no control over its updates), the rest of the programs I know are using the latest version. I have checked their official websites and the version I use is the latest one you can download. However, for several weeks now (weeks, not days) I have not been able to update them to the version that ucheck recommends. From what I understand they must be beta versions that some users are using.

In the case of Adobe Lightroom Classic, I have installed version 13.1, but in Windows itself (in the control panel - uninstall) it also refers to version 12.5 so it is possible that it is a failure of the Adobe installer itself. which ucheck can't do anything.

And nothing more, I hope it's helpful.

Greetings and thank you!

3. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

4. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

New version released from the looks of it;

Code:
    V5.3.0 02/16/2024
    =================
    - Updated to core 6.18.1
      * Fix for UCheck exclusions with compressed paths
      * Now no longer ignoring UCheck excluded files during scan
      * Fixed un-needed lock during crash dump upload
      * Removed unneeded ACL reset
      * Replaced folder ACL reset by "Add World ACE"
      * Added IsInstalled verification in core
      * Now using current directory's subdir for non-installed core instances
      * Modular core, preparing for core optimizations
      * Added UCheck bitness detection algorithm
      * Added UCheck existence verification
      * Removed potential crashing logs
      * Added AsyncWorker for smoother UI experience
      * Theme fixes
      * Report UI refactoring
      * Minor fixes
    - Consolidated Tech portable available features
    - Added "fully portable" feature, if not installed will work from a current dir's subdir
    - Added Path exclusion action item (Update tab)
    - Added extended selection (Installed tab)

5. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

BEWARE!

I seem to have lost/reset all my settings, not sure if things are overhauled and that this is expected @Tigzy

Might want to backup the settings in \programdata\ucheck before running this version.

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Cleared my exclusions, had to reset them.

Edit: Warning too late @RonnyT :D, but thanks for confirming.

7. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

There are now options for "Add File" and "Add Folder" so I'm guessing what exclusions got refactored, but in my case I lost all settings proxy/notifications etc.
    Anyway cool stuff, much requested and it's a good thing to start fresh every now and then ;)

8. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Ah I think I found it, the portable version is now really portable (file based at least) it no longer uses \programdata\ucheck but .\ucheck in the portable folder, hence all my settings started fresh.

Code:
    - Added "fully portable" feature, if not installed will work from a current dir's subdir

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  9. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

:thumb:

10. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Does anyone know if UCheck Portable v5.3.0.0 runs a cleanup routine the first time it's launched?

If there is no automated cleanup routine, does anyone know if it's safe to manually delete the hidden C:\Program Data\UCheck folder and registry keys like Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adlice Software\UCheck (see attached image) and Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-<my user ID>)\SOFTWARE\Adlice Software\UCheck that were created by previous UCheck Portable and BETA versions, or are some of these disk files and registry entries still required for UCheck Portable v5.3..x and higher?

Win 10 Pro v22HH2 registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE UCheck Entries 16 Feb 2024.png
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4046 * Firefox v122.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.24010.10 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2259 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable v5.2.2.0 * QuickInstaller (Preview) v0.3.8787.28825

11. Adric

Adric Registered Member

That's not very portable is it. :rolleyes: I guess they should call it a hybrid portable. :D To me portable should leave zero footprint on the system.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  12. duf666

duf666 Registered Member

Hi,

Few things on the latest 5.3.0 portable version:

Deletion of entries seems not possible:

000931.jpg 000930.jpg
    The search on this particular entry is strange...

000933.jpg

000932.jpg

13. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi du666:

Regarding the failed deletion of those entries, I suspect it's because you had already excluded those programs.

The "[E]" in front of those entries indicates you had previously selected "Exclude Software" from the righht-click context menu so they were already ignored by UCheck. When programs are marked for exclusion they don't immediately disappear from the UCheck interface - you have to start a new scan or close and re-launch UCheck to refresh the interface. Once those excluded programs disappear from the Installed tab they will be listed at History & Settings | Exclusions, and if you change your mind and decide that you want UCheck to start checking for available updates again you can unhide them. If you actually want to delete the entries for those excluded programs I assume you will have to remove them from History & Settings | Exclusions. re-launch UCheck, and delete them from the Installed tab.

Personally, I'm not sure why it's even necessary to have a "Delete Entry" option in the right-click context menu when users already have the option to "Exclude Software" from their scan results. Someone else might be able to explain what benefit there is, if any, to choosing "Delete Entry" instead of "Exclude Software" (i.e., what functionality users would loose if the "Delete Entry" option was removed from the context menu).

Regarding your odd search result for the home page for O&O App Buster, I would prefer to see all those "Open Search" links for Community apps removed from the Updates tab. There is always a risk that the search string UCheck creates using key words from the program name could generate a result where the top search result does not take you to the developer's official (and presumably safe) download page for the latest installer. That UCheck search feature is intended to be a time saver for users but if you aren't careful about checking the search results generated by UCheck it's possible you could end up clicking a link that takes you to an unsafe site.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4046 * Firefox v122.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.24010.10 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2259 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable v5.3.0.0 * QuickInstaller (Preview) v0.3.8787.28825

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  14. duf666

duf666 Registered Member

Hi,
    Is it possible to keep column width once you change them ?

000939.jpg

To:

000940.jpg

15. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Yeah, it would be nice to load last scan results on opening like SUMo did

16. DJDANY

DJDANY Registered Member

I do not understand why you do not simplify the program, you have the example of the old sumo, the program is too bush, we only need to scan the last updates of the programs that we have installed or portable

17. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I replaced SUMo with two programs, UCheck and QuickInstaller. While neither program catches all of the updates QuickInstaller is much faster at alerting me to updates. Of the two programs I believe I would recommend QuickInstaller over UCheck.

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

An issue with QuickInstaller and other similar tools which use Microsoft's winget tool to get updates, is that they find few updates. As an example, on my main PC, QuickInstaller finds 11 updates, whereas UCheck finds 55.

19. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

That's why this was improved in latest version ;) can't get to Rome in one day :shifty:

20. BRO

BRO Registered Member

Attached Files:

21. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

It's read from the "Program & Features" version that is displayed.

22. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

For your information, that happens if you use the PORTABLE version.
    Now it's "fully" portable, creating a local folder next to the .EXE.
    The ProgramData folder isn't changed, so if you want to retrieve your "installed" settings you just need to copy them into the local folder.

23. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

It's safe to delete, as long as you don't want to keep your settings and all licensing information.

24. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

That'll come. For the time being it was not really possible to leave everything behind, especially the licensing for Premium users.
    We'll add a button to clean everything up -for portable version-, when installed the way to go is to use the uninstaller.

25. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Errr, yes this is the ampersand that is a special character for query strings. Probably lacking some encoding

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.