UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Trash

Trash Registered Member

Hello!

I am Spanish and I have used Google Translate to write in English. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have been a SUMo user for many years. Now I have switched to UCheck. My intention with this post is not to make any criticism but rather to contribute my grain of sand to improve UCheck.

I thank Tigzy for all the work done so far to improve his tool. And I also take this opportunity to thank Kyle_Katarn for all his efforts during all these years with SUMo.

I would like to make two recommendations for improving UCheck, if possible:

1.- When starting UCheck, I consider that most of the time it will be to do an Analysis of all the programs on the computer. Would it be possible to add the option to "Start analysis when starting UCheck" in Settings? Something similar to "Start the application when the computer starts".

https://i.imgur.com/TjoyvkU.jpg

2.- When updates that are not compatible with UCheck appear, it is not possible to see which update is selected. Would it be possible to add a background color or a different color border for when an update has been selected from the list? When scrolling, you visually lose focus and it is somewhat uncomfortable.

https://i.imgur.com/YTPf5bP.jpg

These are the two personal recommendations to improve UCheck.

Below, to help improve UCheck, I will indicate some observations that I have found in my analyses:

1.- Different versions in Java 8

https://i.imgur.com/0ZAKufD.jpg

The current version of Java 8 is 8.0.391. UCheck understands that the latest version is 8.0.333, which is a very obsolete version.

2.- Google Drive

https://i.imgur.com/3EThxsO.jpg

The format of the installed version and the latest version is different.

3.- HeidiSQL

https://i.imgur.com/4iOr6Q6.jpg

This software updates the minor version (12.5.0) every 6 months. But the interesting thing is to be updated with the revision version (6677) that changes every week.

4.- K-Lite Codec Pack

https://i.imgur.com/NhMFT5a.jpg

I imagine this depends on the community and I don't know if it has a solution but version 17.8.6 (official) already came out a week ago.

5.- Microsoft Teams classic

https://i.imgur.com/DUK75wg.jpg

In this case, I imagine that it also depends on the community, unlike case 4, the version 1.6.00.27573 that I have installed is the official version. Version 1.6.00.28557 has to be a beta version. I have also detected this problem with this software in SUMo and with versions prior to this one.

Anyway, thanks for reading me. I repeat, this is just my way of adding my grain of sand to thank you for your work with this program.

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  2. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

These recommended version numbers are strange, Cyberpunk is up-to-date:

upload_2023-10-22_9-5-20.png

3. Soulreaver1977

Soulreaver1977 Registered Member

Great idea. That's what SUMo also does :thumb:

4. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

I already suggested this in the past (in a Support Ticket, before I found this topic here):

5. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Issue found, it's not a hang, it's creating the report. The bug is that we don't say it, that'll be fixed.

6. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Exactly. There's a new planned feature server-side that could help with that.
    We'll have "Community alerts" and cross-verifications between supported and community on our server side. That's planned very soon

7. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I don't think it's a great idea, because it will clutter Windows startup. Instead, you should use scheduled scans (Settings, Scans, scheduled scans)

8. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

@OLLI_S "This requires, that UCheck shows a notification, when there are new updates available."
    This is already the case, when UCheck is in the tray and a scheduled scan is launched, there's a notification if there's updates.

9. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

As said above, you'd better use Scheduled scans to avoid performance issues at startup.

There's no selection possible, everything happens with the checkbox. Is this what you meant ?

10. Soulreaver1977

And what about making this selection only available if "Start the application when the machine starts" is not enabled?

11. Soulreaver1977

Update detected, that's correct, but download is not working:
    upload_2023-10-23_11-25-28.png

12. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

That is pretty bad UX, plus I don't get the difference with scheduler.... When UCheck is started, if the last scan is older than <selected> a new scan is triggered after some sleep time (usually 5 mns)

13. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

It's fixed, UltraVNC changed their link pattern. Should be in prod in a few minutes
    EDIT: It's there, can you retry ?

14. Soulreaver1977

The difference? I think for the scheduling function I need to buy a license? :isay: But could be an option...;)

15. Soulreaver1977

It works! Thanks! :thumb:

16. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, premium makes sense for advanced features :)

17. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

There's a few fixes that I made that I'd like to use for a new BETA run.
    I think I'll submit a new one by end of day today.

18. Trash

Trash Registered Member

I don't mean that the analysis begins when Windows starts and the application starts.

I mean now, I start the application and if I want to do the analysis I have to press the analysis button. I wonder if it would be possible that when you start the application, it would automatically start the analysis (without having to press the Analysis button again). Put it as an option in settings. SUMo does it.

About scheduled scans, I don't understand how to do something like that. It only gives me the option of "every day" from a date but it doesn't give me any more options.

There is no selection possible, everything happens with the checkbox. Is this what you wanted to say? [/APPOINTMENT]

By this I mean that when there are a large number of incompatible applications, with a blue background, when you mark one to know which one you are in, it does not show any color or any border. In the case of the compatible ones, with a white background, the gray border is slightly noticeable. But in the rest of the cases no.

In this image, I have marked the ccleaner with a green color as an example. I would like it if when you click on any of the available updates you could set a different border or background color so you can visually know where you are.

https://i.imgur.com/vmJcuIV.png

In this other image, you can see how he does SUMo.

https://i.imgur.com/9k4iMgv.jpg

I'm only mentioning it in case it's possible. Personally I would see these two options as improvements.

Thank you so much ![/QUOTE]

19. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Small overview.
    2023-10-23 16_08_29-Cuckoo Host - 192.168.1.17_3389 - Connexion Bureau à distance.png

Yes, community no longer has "Warning" icon

20. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Ok, so it's NOT the way to select items. I think the highlight is just a bug, it's not supposed to show. Use the checkboxes.

21. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

22. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Is there a difference between what the top "Scan" button and the bottom "Scan" button does? If not, why are there two of them? And, as far as I know, Emsisoft (EEK) is my only portable program. It is in my C: drive as C:\EEK, and I have added it in Custom Locations. If this is correct will I be able to see it included in the Installed List?

23. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

I like the Scan button at the top as now I can scan even if I am on the Installed tab. I guess the lower one on the dashboard really isn't needed anymore as there is the one at the top.

Where is the "create report" status?

Thanks,
    Bill

24. Trash

Trash Registered Member

I apologize if you don't understand what I mean.

https://i.imgur.com/mzkZLJD.gif

In this gif you can see that when I select "Zoom [64-bit]" a small gray border appears. When I select the rest disappears but in the one I select nothing appears.

As you can see, there are no check boxes.

Anyway, thanks for your attention. I will no longer discuss the topic.

25. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Tigzy:

I also noticed that I no longer have a check box on the Updates panel for my outdated AdwCleaner v7.4.2 [a Portable (purple) app], and the option to Download is missing from the Action dropdown . Is this now expected behaviour or a bug?

Here's what I see today with the latest UCheck Free Portable 64-bit BETA v5.0.4.0 (offered 23-Oct-2023 in post # 621). I can't see any way to download the latest AdwCleaner v8.4.0 from within UCheck ...

UCheck v5_0_4_0 BETA AdwCleaner v7_4_0 No Option to Download NEW 23 Oct 2023.png

... and here's the check box and Download link I used to see with an older UCheck Free Portable BETA v4_11_0_0 (offered 05-Oct-2023 in post # 335 - see my 06-Oct-2023 test results where I successfully downloaded AdwCleaner v8.4.0 in post # 376).

UCheck 4_11_0_0C BETA Updates Download AdwCleaner 05 Oct 2023.png
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3570 * Firefox v118.0.2 * Microsoft Edge v118.0.2088.57 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.4.286-1.0.2163 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * Patch My PC Portable v4.5.0.4 * SUMo Free Portable v5.17.10.542 * UCheck Free Portable 64-bit BETA v5.0.4.0

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.