UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Tigzy:

Since my 03-Oct-2023 post # 283 five of my Community (grey) apps have been reclassified as Unsupported (no highlight) apps, so the breakdown of my 47 total apps has changed to:
    • 5 Installed (purple) / supported (all up-to-date)
    • 1 Portable (red) / supported (outdated)
    • 17 Unsupported (no highlight)
    • 24 Community (grey) / (20 up-to-date, 4 outdated)
    Using your current filters, how do I display my N = 24 Community (grey) apps ONLY? The closest I can come is to remove Unsupported (no highlight, N = 17) and Portable (red, N = 1), which leaves me with 29 displayed apps.

UCheck 4_11_0_0C BETA Unsupported Poratble Deselected 05 Oct 2023.png

To your comment "I'd need to make lists like "Installed + Community + Microsoft". That's awful", that's the purpose of the "All" (everything except Excluded) and "Supported" [everything except Unsupported (no highlight) and Excluded] radio buttons I proposed in post # 307.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3448 * Firefox v118.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23080.2006-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.3.282-1.0.2158 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * Patch My PC Portable v4.5.0.4 * SUMo Free Potable v5.17.10.542 * UCheck Free Portable BETA v4.11.0.0

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  2. Soulreaver1977

Soulreaver1977 Registered Member

Same problem here. Community only works together with installed/portable selection. Selecting Community alone shows nothing!

For my understanding:
    Community does only work with "installed" apps, not with "portable" apps, am I right?

3. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Soulreaver1977:

Yes, that is my understanding as well. As far as I can tell, in order to see all my Community (grey) apps with the current filters I must leave Community + Installed + Microsoft all checked. That is because all of my Community apps are currently installed apps and some (but not all) of my Community apps are from Microsoft. Unfortunately, that combination also displays my 5 installed / supported (purple) apps as well.

At the moment UCheck only detects a single Portable (red) app (Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner) but my assumption is that as more portable apps are supported by UCheck then they will be handled exactly like the Installed and supported (purple) apps where the "latest" stable version is looked up from a database "filled using editors websites and changelogs" (i.e., unlike a Community app where the "latest" version is the most prevalent version number being used in the wider community of users). See forum moderator Curson's 03-Oct-2024 topic A Comparison Between SUMo and UCheck that is pinned at the top of the UCheck (Adlice) user forum for further details.

At least I hope that's how Portable apps will be handled by UCheck. I currently use HWiNFO Portable, but as an end user I don't really care if my current HWiNFO v7.62 software is installed on my hard drive or if HWiINFO is run as a portable app from my removable USB thumb drive - all I care about when I'm checking for an available software update is that I have the latest stable release recommended by the manufacturer.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3448 * Firefox v118.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23080.2006-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.3.282-1.0.2158 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * Patch My PC Portable v4.5.0.4 * SUMo Free Potable v5.17.10.542 * UCheck Free Portable BETA v4.11.0.0

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  4. Soulreaver1977

From this topic I came to the following topic https://forum.adlice.com/index.php?topic=3808.0
    ==> Erroneous detection / Application support request <==

This thread is meant for users who wants to report error with existing detections and users who wish to submit an application to be added to UCheck database.
    I wish application X to be added to UCheck database

Is it still neccessary to upload the exported history as mentioned in this topic If I want a program to be added or is it done by the "community upload" automatically?

5. dking02

dking02 Registered Member

I tried using "Skip this update" but it also failed (differently). It resulted in a version-specific exclusion for 3.12.0 and a Installed tab which now showed both releases visible whether the Excluded filter was selected whereas the previous test that ended up excluding ALL (both) versions hid both releases. See attached PDF file.

Attached Files:

6. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Why would you do that ? I don't get the use case behind it. The way it's displayed now you have all apps that are recognized by UCheck.

7. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

For now, yes. Later it will have both.

8. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

It's 2 different things.
    Supported (purple color) is ability to recognize, and update/install
    Community (gray color) is abiliary to recognize only

9. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Because "Skip this version" is for current LATEST version, so it does apply to BOTH python versions you have. In that case I would simply exclude Python entirely.

10. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

New BETA: https://download.adlice.com/UCheck/Beta/UCheck64.exe
    Minor fixes that some of you reported.
    It's going to be probably the last one, if no other issues found for the client.

Some asked, what's next ?
    - Release in production. However community feedback will be silent (no updates report) for at least some days, maybe a week, during data accumulation. If some server side fixes are needed, they'll be deployed at this time.
    - We'll then enable community feedback as a feature for everyone. You'll be able to see the Updates. If everything goes well, that part should now be stable and fully automated.
    - Then we'll work on portable apps support, with a new cycle of BETA versions (here)

11. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Looking forward to it.

12. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

What about the low Color Contrast for some elements?

13. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

Using the latest beta, UCheck did allow me to delete it. I didn't know which program it was since the Program column is blank.

I then went to the Installed tab and excluded "SQLite ODBC Driver (remove only)". UCheck said the exclusion was added successfully and the program was removed from the Installed list. I went to Settings > Exclusions and there was again a blank line on the top and "SQLite ODBC Driver (remove only)" was not in the list. I closed and reopened UCheck and ran a scan and now "SQLite ODBC Driver (remove only)" is back in the Installed list and the blank entry is still there in Settings > Exclusions.

I then went back to the Installed tab and excluded "Realtek high definition audio driver". This was also added successfully and the program was removed from the Installed list. I went to Settings > Exclusions and "Realtek high definition audio driver" was added to the list and no blank entry was added at the beginning. I closed and reopened UCheck and ran a scan and now "Realtek high definition audio driver" was both in the Installed list and in Settings > Exclusions, so the problem initially described in reply #312 still exists in the latest beta.

Bill

14. Soulreaver1977

In this case, what does "community" mean? Will it be only recognized (For whatever reason then...) or will it be able to be updated/installed/supported in the future?

15. SRT

SRT Registered Member

Poor detecting programs.

SUMo detected : Mailwasher Pro, PrivaZer, Process Lasso, The Bat!.

Only ones the UChck found is: Winrar, Ubisoft Connect.

16. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

Here in the forums there are some irritations about the filters.
    This shows, that some people have usability issues with this feature, it seems, that the filters are not self-explanary.

As a possible solution, the user @lmacri suggested to have 3 or 4 radio buttons, that are a set of pre-configured filters.
    Ech of these filters (except "All") filters for multiple criteria and also sorts the table by various columns.
    This simplifies the filters and in some cases this is more usable.

What about the following suggestion, what is a combination of the current filters and the suggestion of @lmacri:
    Add the radio-buttons that @lmacri suggested (including "All" to see all entries).
    I know, that radio-buttons are used to select one entry (and not multiple).
    Add also a radio-button "Custom".
    Only when "Custom" is selected, you enable the filter-dropdown, for all other radio-buttons, the filter-dropdown is disabled.

17. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

UCheck still recommends MailWasher Pro 7.12.181, what is a Beta-Version (not yet public)

18. dking02

Hiding both releases of Python is what I plan to do. That, of course, defeats the purpose of using a software update monitor but is only a minor inconvenience since dates for upcoming Python releases are already known and are announced on major software websites at the time of release. Python is a UCheck-compatible program and releases 3.11 and 3.12 are installed as separate programs on the machine so it would seem reasonable to expect it be able to handle updates to each separately. It is not atypical for persons involved in software development or beta testing to have to maintain multiple editions or releases and installers of related software often provide an option to remove or keep the older release. I and others on this thread have noted other unexpected results when using exclusions but I suspect these are baseline issues and not related to implementing community-based update notification in UCheck which is progressing well.

19. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I am using the latest beta; today my Updates include Proton 3.2.1, ESET 17.0.6.0, and OE Clasic 4.5. But, there are no Updates listed on the various program Websites. I did notice that when choosing the Download option from the main menu the display of categories includes: Developement and Development; Password Manager and Passwords Manager; Security and Security Tool. Perhaps the like categories should be combined? UCheck seems to be improving each day, keep up the good work.

20. dking02

There are also some 1 or 2 item categories which should not be separate. My recommendation would be to delete the categories altogether and just have one simple list sorted alphabetically by program name. People are most likely going to this tab looking to download a specific item. Having them in groups makes it more difficult to find the item by name. Patch My PC discarded the use of these functional categories in their supported programs list several years ago and now just breaks it into "Main" (Installed programs) and "Portable" programs.

21. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Sorry may have missed that out; Can you put it again ?

22. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Ok so it might be something with this entry. I'll try to replicate, but I fear maybe there's some encoding issue with it, any special characters into it ?

23. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

community is the data send by the users to us, it means only the version is showing up. It MAY be added in the future, depending on its level of popularity;

24. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Not sure what you want me to say, we've been working on supporting community feedback for several weeks now. Have tried it ?

25. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

There's no possibility of adding radio-buttons here, as I stated before. This is technical limitation of the UI.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.