UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Where is it written "Supported only" ? It's probably leftover and not meant to be present anymore

2. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Are you seeing them into "Settings", "Exclusions" ?

3. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

What do you mean by elevate?

4. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Start / Restart as admin. But this is now fixed.

5. Soulreaver1977

Soulreaver1977 Registered Member

1. I would also appreciate if the version number increases with new BETA builds (Also for my internal checking between different versions)
    2. Why does "Open file location" not work for all programs?

6. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

OK... thanks @Tigzy. For us SUMo users, UCheck keeps getting better.

Bill

7. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Tigzy:

If your filters on the Installed tab are now working as you expect then I suspect many users are going to have a problem customizing their view. Just a suggestion, but I think it would be preferable if you used radio buttons that limit users to a single choice instead of check boxes so that users don't have to enable a combination of multiple filters just to achieve the view they want.

For example, selecting a radio button named "All" would show all Installed and Portable apps (except Excluded), sorted alphabetically by PROGRAM name. This should be the only filter that includes Unsupported (no highlight) apps that UCheck ignores when it scans for available updates so users could still modify / uninstall these Unsupported apps.

For any supported apps where UCheck does scan for an available update (i.e., excluding Unsupported and Excluded apps) you could have separate radio buttons for each category, such as:
    • "Supported" to display all Installed (purple), Community (grey) and Portable (red) apps (sorted by the OUTDATED column first and then by alphabetical PROGRAM name with OUTDATED = YES sorted to the top).
    • "Community" to display only Community (grey) apps (sorted by the OUTDATED column first and then by alphabetical PROGRAM name with OUTDATED = YES sorted to the top).
    • Similar to "Community", separate radio buttons could be added for each single category like "Installed" (purple only), "Portable" (red only), "Microsoft" (where COMPANY = Microsoft or Microsoft Corporation), "Up-to-Date" (where OUTDATED = NO and sorted alphabetically by PROGRAM name) and "Outdated" (where OUTDATED = YES and sorted alphabetically by PROGRAM name).
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3448 * Firefox v118.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23080.2006-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.3.282-1.0.2158 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * Patch My PC Portable v4.5.0.4 * SUMo Free Potable v5.17.10.542 * UCheck Free Portable BETA v4.11.0.0

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  8. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

I think you mean "Community only" rather than "Supported only".

I do see "Community only" on the tooltip for the row.

My questions are still valid, just substitute "community" for "community only".

Bill

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  9. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

Yes.

Bill

10. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

When users have usability issues with the filter drop-down, then this means, that this element may not be intuitive.
    Having some radio-buttons instead would be an option.

I really love this suggestion, makes it much easier.

@Tigzy please implement these radio-buttons in addition to the filter list, so we all can test them and provide feedback!

11. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

I was just looking at Settings > Exclusions and noticed the first line has no program name. Not sure how it got there as I have only excluded programs with names.

upload_2023-10-4_11-21-15.png

Bill

12. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

Earlier I said Yes, but now I see that some are showing and some not.

These are showing in Settings > Exclusions and in Installed:

intel(r) chipset device software
    intel(r) computing improvement program
    intel(r) management engine components
    realtek high definition audio driver

These are showing in Installed, but not in Settings > Exclusions even though I did exclude them.

Canon MG7700 series User Registration
    GedStar Pro V4.6.3
    SQLite ODBC Driver (remove only)

Bill

13. dking02

dking02 Registered Member

Tigzy,

How do you plan to determine the “Latest” version for community programs?

For UCheck-supported programs the “Latest” version should be the current version from the supported programs database. However, for community programs, the “Latest” version needs to be determined from the installed versions reported in the current user data uploaded to the server after a scan is performed. This needs to be done automatically and is more complicated.

When multiple versions of the same program are reported by community users, do you attempt to distinguish between released and beta versions by considering the relative user counts between recent versions or do you select the version with the highest user count or highest version number for the “Latest” version?

Is it possible to add a confidence measure for the “Latest” version of community programs, such as the number of users on the “Latest” version out of the total number of users of the affected program (M of N)?

Is it planned to provide user access to manually query the database for the current number of users on each reported version of a specific program as available in SUMo?

Do you store a copy of the data from uploaded user’s current installed software list in the database (server)? Do you maintain an ID for the specific instance of UCheck that is uploading the software list so problems with data can be tracked down to the source or so that user counts for each version of the programs can be updated by simply incrementing and decrementing counts without having to compute these counts by accessing every record in the database?

14. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Well the answer will be quite easy, it's not technically possible :)
    Besides this, I don't get how a list of radio buttons will help increase UX, those would be mutually exclusive;
    This means only one can be selected at a time, and I'd need to make lists like "Installed + Community + Microsoft". That's awful.

Really I don't get the problem with the checkboxes, they are just display filters. If you want to hide some items, just uncheck them. That's it
    I'll fix the tooltips.

15. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I'm not sure I understand, do you have an example for 1. ?
    2. Not all programs expose an installed location (see the dedicated column)

16. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes this is bad, can you try to remove them all and see if that happens again ? If so, with what program ?
    EDIT: or just remove that empty line, if possible (it may not want to)

17. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

For a higher version number to be "promoted" as current "latest", its count seen must reach a certain level compared to current latest. That's a test, it may change in the future

18. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, probably later we'll have a "popularity" score

19. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

No, it's all anonymized, and for now we don't persist any user information, just programs.

20. Soulreaver1977

If I gues right you released 3 BETA versions in the meantime. But all of them have version number 4.11.0.0
    upload_2023-10-5_8-16-58.png

New BETA versions should have a new release number like 4.12.0.0 or 4.11.0.1 or whatever ;)

21. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, this is wanted. I'm just dropping it here for you guys. Nothing formal

22. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Guess who's at the top of the Community list ? :geek:
    2023-10-05 10_04_24-Download.png

23. Soulreaver1977

So keep on doing your good work and in the near future it should be UCheck ;):thumb:
    (Not at the top of the community list but with the same amount of installations!)

24. dking02

dking02 Registered Member

I have two different releases of Python installed on my machine, 3.11.6 and 3.12.0. Version 3.11 is still active and has updates 3.11.7, .8, and .9 scheduled thru Apr 2024. 3.12 is a new release of Python (2 Oct 2023), Folks developing or maintaining Python code in 3.11 don't necessarily convert to the brand new 3.12 release so updating 3.11.6 to 3.12.0 is not necessarily applicable. The two releases appear as separate entries on the UCheck Installed tab.

UCheck reported an update of 3.11.6 to 3.12.0 was available. This was not desired since there are still updates to the 3.11 baseline coming. When I went to exclude the update to 3.11.6 in the Updates tab, the Settings-Exclusion tab showed it was excluding ALL versions of Python and there was no option to limit the exclusion to just the selected version 3.11.6 as the instructions on the tab state should be available.

When I went back to the Installed tab, the tab had not been refreshed to reflect the applied exclusions. Both Python releases still appeared whether the Excluded filter was checked or not. I performed another scan to refresh the Installed tab.. I would note that another scan with transfer of software lists between the server and the client should not really be required for a refresh of the Installed tab for an exclusion. After the Installed tab was refreshed, neither version of Python (3.11.6 or 3.12.0) were displayed, whether the Excluded filter was selected or not. The only change observed was that the count of programs would deecrement by two from 158/158 to 156/158. See attached PDF file with screenshots for further detail.

Attached Files:

25. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Did you try the second option, "Skip this update" ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.