µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

strange because of
    in total: 58547

i just merged both list and removed dupes - your right, thank you. annoyance list did not grow.

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

no problem. :thumb:

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

There's a popup here, and I cant determine what's causing it; the log file doesn't show anything obvious. Does anyone know how to block it?

5. plat

plat Registered Member

May I ask: does the popup look like this or some other thing that blacks out the page? I got it using Firefox. Edge Dev browser was clear, using Strict setting.

azcentral popup.png

I played with the in-built Firefox settings b/c uBO filter lists were identical in both browsers so it wouldn't have mattered. Here's what made it go away and stay away after multiple refreshes and clicking among the various headings (Sports, Things to Do, etc). Hopefully, it works for you also. If it doesn't, someone with expertise will hopefully comment.

azcentralffinbuilt.png

6. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

I have the same Firefox privacy settings as you have and I don't get the pop-up either.

7. n8chavez

It looks like that most of the time.l But sometimes the popup is just a transparent "x" in the corner, as if the rest were blocked out.

That's the odd thing; my firefox settings are the same as your and I still get the popup all the time.

8. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, I got another very similar popup under the USA Today heading. This time, I imported the full oisd list with over 1 million filters. The popup did not re-appear within the short time frame I tried it. I also have Dandelion Sprout's Annoying Banners and Overlays list--maybe that helps? I'm going to de-list oisd, it was just for testing purposes.

I clicked the Weather heading and it knew my location right away. Dang!:cautious:

Oh, and I have NextDNS in Firefox. Do you have that enabled or the default DNS provider?

9. n8chavez

I do have oisd enabled with NextDNS. But I did not know about Dandelion Sprout's Annoying Banners and Overlays list. After adding that to uBo, the popup seems to be gone...I hope. I've refreshed multiple times and haven't seen it after adding that list. BTW, NextDNS along with YogaDNS Pro makes a good combo!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  10. imdb

imdb Registered Member

based on your ip. so, nothing to worry about. :geek:

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i don't have any of those and i didn't get no popups on that page.

12. plat

plat Registered Member

Cool, very good. :)

Odd how things differ from one user to the next. Given that it's present in Firefox, it took some tweaking and messing around before it could be gotten rid of on here. You must have the magic touch with these annoyances, imdb. :thumb:

Edit: sorry to hear it's still coming back n8chavez. Last thing: I have ClearUrls as an extension. Do you have that as well? I'm trying this web-page repeatedly and the overlay isn't returning {yet}.

13. n8chavez

I lied, apparently. I still got the popup!

This is what I get when I go to the page, even with ClearURL.

1.png

This is what I get after being on the page for a few minutes.

2.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Oh man. Can you please share your Firefox theme or CSS files? That is awesome! PM is fine so as to not derail this thread.

15. n8chavez

Done!

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

might have something to do with the filter lists i use. also i have custom etp settings, i have 3rd party cookies blocked.

@plat1098 @n8chavez
    what filter lists do you guys have enabled in ubo (including custom ones)?

17. n8chavez

Here are the lists I use. I also use YogaDNS with the AdGuard Base list (domain version), with NextDNS, and I have 3rd party cookies blocked in Firefox

1.png 2.png

18. plat

plat Registered Member

Right here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ublock-a-lean-and-fast-blocker.365273/page-239#post-3047817

Also have 3rd party cookies blocked in Firefox. NextDNS, Custom Privacy as shown in snip) and "Always" send Do Not Track requests. Only have 4 custom rules and they just apply to specific websites--like the Push Notifications bar on MalwareTips, eg.

If I get an ad or banner, it's extremely rare. And I'm asking for it on sites like Yahoo where recently, uBO blocked like over 1000 connection attempts. No ads, no problems there.

19. n8chavez

Oh really? That actually is already added.

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

never heard of yoga before. sounds worth giving a try.
    and as for your selection of filter lists, ubo annoyances is for use together with fb's annoyance or ag annoyances, it's a complementary list.

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

looks like a very good selection of filter lists to me. :thumb:
    just one side note, experts say dnt is of no use, because most sites simply do not honor dnt requests sent by browsers, they just ignore them. what's more, turning dnt on makes your fingerprint more unique, mind you.

22. n8chavez

YogaDNS is awesome! It intercepts all DNS queries from your system and sends through your selected server. Here are the NextDNS lists I use.

3.png

23. imdb

imdb Registered Member

looks very interesting. i'll definitely give it a try. thanks for letting us know. :thumb:

24. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, I was dimly aware of this but I figured: if it works even once, then it's OK to keep it enabled--and if a mainsteam browser still offers this setting, there has to be at least some merit to having it around. I know most sites don't honor this setting, including the one n8chavez referenced--azcentral. Is this an example?--lol.I gave up on fingerprints. I work on damage control instead--if and when I become aware of any. :cautious:
    ff cross site cookie.png

25. imdb

imdb Registered Member

ah, ok. i take your point then. :thumb:
    and yes, that's a spot-on example of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.