µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Thats a matter of reading html mails in full featured mode instead plain text first, or html w/o remote content.

2. plat

plat Registered Member

A good and fair question...I don't know. But one thing: it's so easy to forget to purge caches and update uBO--unless you write yourself a reminder. Firefox's updates aren't like that; you can have it update automatically. Whether any blocklist updates are included in that--I don't know but would like to. It would be worth researching that. I think partial info is sent to Mozilla by user telemetry but when that gets incorporated--dunno. :doubt:

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, so basically it's a bit difficult to develop global protection for this. And did you look into the other problem with the element blocker, that it doesn't actually block stuff from loading, but only hides it?

4. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

I do that each day, right after opening Firefox (that's one of the benefits of being autistic, I guess ;)).

5. nicolaasjan

I've done some research.
    You can check yourself by following the steps from here:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewt...id=4927d7f76698a463a74a58f3d7e4345a#p14794889

You'll see lines in the console like this:

Code:
    listmanager: 13:56:42 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd): Waiting 360min
    listmanager: 13:56:42 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd): Setting last update of mozilla to 1635685002256
    listmanager: 13:56:42 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd): Setting next update of mozilla to 1635706602256 (360min from now)
    And:
    Code:
    listmanager: 13:57:34 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd): Waiting 30min
    listmanager: 13:57:34 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd): Setting last update of google4 to 1635685054554
    listmanager: 13:57:34 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd): Setting next update of google4 to 1635686882554 (30min from now)

6. plat

plat Registered Member

Oh wow. So this is interesting. Can one conclude, then, that the blocklists in the browsers (I look at Firefox specifically) are updated two or more times per day? Well, that makes for an interesting conclusion, right?--esp. if you're not purging/updating uBO on a regular basis. I don't have any Mozilla services blocked in the firewall either, so that's good.

I find this info valuable regardless. :thumb: Who wants any redundancy or dead weight nowadays, even if it's miniscule?

7. nicolaasjan

When looking at your system specs, I think you wouldn't even notice it if you had a billion rules in uBO. :argh:

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

should you disable ff's (or any other browser's, for that matter) built-in tracking protection if you're using ubo?

9. Brummelchen

no. ublock extends firefox protection. same for cookie autodelete, cookiebro, umatrix and some more. and firefox is a fallback solution where others may fail.

10. plat

plat Registered Member

Tx--the cpu and drive make it snap but my graphics processor is kind of old and meh. I'm stuck in the supply-chain thing going on right now. My target gpu is currently selling for the equivalent of a mid-range laptop or around 1200 USD-- and is about as plentiful as a dodo bird. :cautious:

NO! Actually the opposite. I beefed up the internal protections in Firefox somewhat--as far as my modest knowledge would take me. :) Switched to NextDNS and kept the tracking protection on Strict. Just disabled those 3 Malware Domain lists--I changed my mind and don't find them necessary for my use-scenario anyway.

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i see. thanks.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

ok, thanks. yeah, i disabled mw protection lists too.

13. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

14. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

15. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

Easy privacy is blocking consensu.org with the filter .js?referer=
    How can I override it?

16. Gandalf_The_Grey

You can use the logger to see what's blocked and create your own filter from there.
    Something like this:
    Code:
    @@||quantcast.mgr.consensu.org^$script,domain=www.protothema.gr
    Others can probably make better filters, but it works...

17. nicolaasjan

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  18. Brummelchen

there is no opt-out for those.
    you can use "i dont care about cookies" as extension (the list is pain and depends on cosmetic filters or not), the extension can also solve with javascript, uBo can't do that. or you can install "consent blocker" as extension which first was introduced for google/yt, then expanded for more pages, works pretty well. "i dont care about cookies" creates issues with ublock or other ad-blockers if the cookie dialog is filtered, but not a gray overlay as example. then its better to filter no consent and click it manually off.
    ublock is not the right choice at least to filter cookie consents.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  19. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

You're talking about your imdb.com problem? No, I never use that site. Besides, you didn't tell us which exact filters you created with the element picker, e.g., cosmetic or network filters?

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thank you for bringing this up. I believe that one of the subs that I subscribe to on uBO has I dont care about cookies built in. Is it easylist, not sure? I sometimes have problems when going to a website. Gibson.com for example. uBO is blocking it with the filter list and I get screwed having to disable uBO to accept or deny the cookie popup. Then I can re-enable uBO to browse the website as per normal. Is this the extension you are talking about here? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-consent/ If so, nice. However I would then have to unsubscribe from EasyList I guess?

Below is everything I have right now.

upload_2021-11-5_14-33-12.png

upload_2021-11-5_14-33-39.png

21. Gandalf_The_Grey

It is not EasyList, but probably Fanboy's Annoyance that is causing those issues:
    https://easylist.to/
    https://fanboy.co.nz/

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thank you. I removed Faboy Annoyance but I still have that issue on Gibson.com for example. It must be included in some other list that I am using.

23. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

More rules = more likelihood of broken websites.;):)

24. Gandalf_The_Grey

Try to disable AdGuard Annoyances filter.
    I have only uBlock filters – Annoyances and Anti-Facebook as annoyances filters and have no issues with Gibson.com, just checked it.
    A last option could be the list from Kees: EU US most prevalent ads & trackers.
    Just disable one of those and see if the site works... trial and error.

25. plat

plat Registered Member

Trooper what kind of trouble exactly on the Gibson.com? Maybe it's dumb luck but the YouTube video loads and plays very fine here in Firefox. Nothing of consequence on the rest of the site. I have the regular not-optimized AdGuard Annoyances enabled with nearly all rules applied and the site loads without issues. Here is my current config.

ubo part1.png
    ubo part2.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.