Tor Exit Nodes - Which countries nodes are best option to use?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by KLB5962, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLB5962

KLB5962 Registered Member

I want to set my Tor browser to use specific Tor exit nodes. I think we are currently only able to choose by country rather than city? So which countries nodes are the best option and why? I will mainly be accessing websites based in the US, so im thinking exit nodes somewhere outside the US would be best option for extra protection..?

Also how can I set Tor browser to stop changing nodes/IP address while im using it. At the moment it changes IP address like every 10 mins! This is causing me problems. I want it to just connect then stay with that IP until I finish what im doing and close the Tor browser. Can this be done?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I suppose those that don't censor anything?

3. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Choosing a specific city as an exit node would require you to specify the hostname(s) of nodes located in that city, but that may be an overly restrictive/impractical setup. The preferable option, IMO, would be to just choose which exit node countries not to use, for example in your case:

ExcludeExitNodes {US}

4. KLB5962

But the problem is, when im using online services, like online email, and each time I log in its from different IP addresses from countries all over the world, they think the account has been hacked and suspend the account for "suspicious activity"! Then they ask you to verify your identity by asking for things like phone numbers, etc and i want to protect my identity so i cant give them that info and my account stays locked! What can be done to prevent this issue? I was thinking if theres a way to set it to stick to the same IP during my session, and each time get an IP from the same city or close geographic area so not to arouse suspicion. How can this be done? or does anyone have a better idea?

5. CasperFace

I would consider using a different email provider then; preferably one that doesn't particularly care which IP address(es) you use while logged into your account. That means you'll probably want to avoid the big corporate providers like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. and go with something a little less mainstream instead.

This should help get you started:

Comparison of webmail providers - Wikipedia

And here's a few hundred more:

Free Email Providers Guide

:D

6. KLB5962

Wow thats a lot of email providers, thanks lol I have no idea how im gonna select a suitable one for this. I had actually started a thread about this email issue here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=318772 but no one replied :( if anyone can help me out on that there i'd appreciate it.

However this problem with the multiple different IP's isnt just with email, the same thing happens with other online services/sites like social networking sites. They see you logging in from IP's all around the world in a short time, they suspend the service/account for "suspicious activity". I really think the only solution is to set Tor to use exit nodes from a specific geographic location, and not change IP's while im using it. How can this be done? Or is there some other solution?

7. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Have you tried Advanced Onion Tor?......Does all that you ask via wizard (of a sort)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advtor/

8. marktor

marktor Registered Member

9. CasperFace

In that case, you may want to consider creating 2 separate browser profiles. Configure one instance of your browser to be used exclusively with Tor, and then use the other (non-Tor) browser profile for those location-aware services (Facebook, Gmail, online banking, etc.) which require IP address integrity. Given the known vulnerabilities of Tor exit nodes, keeping identity-related activity off of the Tor network is advisable anyway.

10. KLB5962

But the point is to use Tor to protect my real IP when using those "location-aware services (Facebook, Gmail, etc)". and my data coming out the exit nodes would be protected because i would use HTTPS.

So is there any recommendation for which countries exit nodes i should use. I keep hearing about sweden or switzerland as good choices for VPN server locations. is it the same for Tor exit nodes??

What about Luxembourg? Thats a very small geographic area (compared to most countries anyway).

Also is this the list of Tor nodes that i can choose from: https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/index.php?SR=CountryCode&SO=Asc

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.