*.tib to dvd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by binary_dreamer, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binary_dreamer

binary_dreamer Registered Member

i did a complete backup of my newly installed system.
    it created a file name.tib
    when i open nero to burn it as data, there is something that it does not like and it returns an error about the filesystem. what i am doing wrong?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello binary_dreamer,

Firstly, please advise the size of the .tib file you were trying to burn to DVD.

Regards

3. binary_dreamer

it is 3.4 GB

4. Menorcaman

In that case I'm guessing you tried to burn it as a DVD-ROM (ISO) data compilation. Nero objects if the file size is greater than 2000 MB so you need to opt to burn the image as a Nero DVD-ROM (UDF) data compilation instead (4.3 GB max file size limitation).

Regards

5. binary_dreamer

not quite sure on how to do that.
    i would be glad if you could tell me please. i am running nero 7

6. Menorcaman

I'm afraid I use Nero 6 so don't know how relevant the following advice is:

1. Open Nero and select "New".
    2. In the "New Compilation" screen select (1) DVD, (2) DVD_ROM (UDF) and then click (3) New - see Screenshot 1 below.
    3. In the UDF1_DVD compilation screen, drag-n-drop the required .tib image file into new compilation window - see Screenshot 2.
    4. Once you have finished composing the new compilation click the Burn icon to record it onto a blank DVD (R or RW). I recommend you set the burn speed to approx half the maximum rated speed of your burner or DVD media, whichever is the lesser.
    5. When completed, use TI's Backup Archive Validation Wizard to verify the recorded image.

Hopefully you can pick the bones out of the above and apply it to Nero 7.

Regards

Attached Files:

7. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

I have a question also about this.
    I am using TI 9.0.3677 and Nero 6.6.0.18. My DVD is a plextor D/L, and I am using verbatim d/l DVD's. I cannot get a good burn and verification with it as I have the same problems that everyone else has.
    I am using a USB external drive to create the *.tib file to. The file size is
    28.5 gig. I want to burn it to the D/L DVD's once a month. I backup to the USB every week.
    So I have 2 questions.
    1. What special settings do I have to make to do this?
    2. If I have to restore from these DVD's, can someone explain the procedure?

Thanks Irv

8. Menorcaman

Hello Irv,

Hopefully this <previous reply> provides you with the necessary information.

Just make sure you validate the image via TI's Validate Backup Archive Wizard and then commence the restore. In both cases, when the image spans multiple DVDs, you will need to insert the last disk first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes. Also, after inserting a disk, make sure your recorder's activity light has extinguished before proceeding with any subsequent action.

Post back if you require more help.

Regards

9. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

Ok, Thanks for the info, But 2 More questions.
    What am I trying to make? A DVD data, DVD image Etc. What do I select?
    Next thing is, My question about restoring was:
    If I have a major melt down, how do I restore if I can't get into Windows. I have made a boot disk, so where do I go from there?
    Thanks Irv

Attached Files:

• Nero.JPG
      Nero.JPG
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Menorcaman

Hi again Irv,

Sorry for the delay but I've recently upgrade to Nero 7 and felt I needed to restore an earlier image containing Nero 6 before responding.

Looking at your screenshot, you seem to be using a cut down version of Nero 6. My screenshot below of Nero StartSmart (advanced tasks) was taken using Nero Burning ROM 6 Reloaded version 6.6.1.4 so I don't know how much you can read across.

Anyway, essentially, you need to create a Data DVD compilation, either a DVD-ROM (ISO) if TI's split size was set to 1492MB or DVD-ROM (UDF) if set to 4.3GB.

Well, make sure you have created a Full disk image (all partitions plus the MBR & Track 0 data) by ticking the checkbox adjacent to Disk 1. This will be necessary if restoring to a new replacement drive or your existing MBR has become corrupted. Next, boot from the Linux based Acronis rescue CD (which you will need to do anyway if restoring the system disk/partition) and select the "full" TI recovery mode. If restoring from an image on your external USB HD then make sure this is connected and switched on before booting from the rescue CD.

Use the Restore Data Wizard to select the image file you wish to restore and set the option to validate the backup archive as part of the actual restoration. Note - if restoring from a multi-DVD spanned image you will need to insert the last DVD first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes.

If restoring to a replacement hard drive then make sure you tick the checkbox next to Disk 1 in order to restore all partitions plus the MBR and Track 0 data. This will ensure the new disk is bootable. However, if the replacement drive is larger than the old drive then you will need to follow the precedure in this <previous reply>.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Attached Files:

11. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

Perfect. Thanks so much. I will copy this and over the weekend I will study and try it.
    Thanks Agin,
    Irv

12. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

I totally thought that I understood it until I actually tried it.

"When creating the initial image to your hard drive, choose the option to split the size manually and just type in the required size into the space provided (ignore the drop down pick-list)".

Here I entered 8.5GB.

"Ensure you burn 'Single Session' compilations and that each DVD is 'Finalized' as part of the burn process".

I can find the 'Finalized' as part of the burn process. I cannot find anything that tells me about "Ensure you burn 'Single Session' compilations".

Could you please look at these and advise me as to what I am doing wrong?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/irvdk/diskcontent2.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/irvdk/diskcontent.jpg

Thanks Again
    Irv

13. Menorcaman

Hello again Irv,

It looks as if you are burning a UDF compilation to a dual layer DVD (data capacity 8152MB ?). In which case, (a) I guess your split size of 8.5GB is somewhat too large and (b) you should only be adding one .tib file of no more than 8152MB to each new compilation.

A single layer DVD can only hold just over 4.3 GB of data. Therefore, when using single layer media to burn a DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation you can set the split at 1492MB and burn up to a maximum of three .tib files per disk or you can set the split at 4.3GB and burn a single .tib file per DVD-ROM (UDF) compilation.

Well, in Nero Burning ROM, "single session" is the same as selecting the "No Multisession" radio button (look carefully at Screenshot 1 in Post #6 above). In my version of Nero Express (supplied with Nero 7 Premium) this is the same as unticking the "Allow files to be added later (multisession disc)" checkbox (see screenshot below).

Regards

Attached Files:

14. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

o_O When you get old I hope you have your wits about you as I sure DON'T....8.5 just seemed to me at a glace as 8.500. Duh...Thanks now it makes sense. 8152=8.5 Got it!

I will redo the backup's tomorrow and give it another shot.
    Should I verify data to the disk after the burn?
    Irv

15. Menorcaman

I became 63 last Thursday - how old do I need to get :eek: :blink: :D

O.K. but don't forget that you can only burn one 8152MB .tib file to your Dual Layer disk at a time.

Yes, tick Nero's Verify Disc checkbox and to reduce the risk of a faulty recording I recommend setting the burn speed to around half the maximum rated write speed of your recorder or the media being used, whichever is the lesser. In addition, always use TI's archive validation feature, just prior to or as part of, restoring any image. Half way through a restore is not the time to find out that TI considers the archive to be corrupt because, by then, your destination partition(s) will have been deleted :'(.

Regards

16. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

"I became 63 last Thursday - how old do I need to get :eek: :blink: :D "

Just a few more years!! 65 with short term memory loss...Umm wonder why?? o_O

Everything went perfectly today thanks to you. :thumb: I now have a disaster recovery plan that (hopefully) will work. Doubt that it will ever come to that as I have a weekly copy on the USB external drive, but one never knows.

Somewhere I read that when you are doing a restore from DVD the last disk goes in first. Is that correct?

Irv

17. Menorcaman

Indeed it is. TI calls each chunk of the image a "Volume" and, looking at your previous screenshot files, your backup archive consists of three chunks (.tib files), which you will have burnt onto three Dual Layer DVDs. Just insert the disk containing the last Volume and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent Volume changes.

Happy imaging and, hopefully, not too many causes for restoring :).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.