I thought TI9 did this.......

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by D Killeen, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Killeen

D Killeen Registered Member

I'm pretty disappointed with Acronis right now. I had an 80GB drive die, and I replaced it with a 250GB drive. If I'd have use Ghost, it would have asked me if I wanted to proportionately expand the image to fill the new disk. With ATI, I ended up with 80GB of the new drive filled, and the rest "un-apportioned". I had to use Partition Magic to expand the partitions to fill the new disk. What possible reason could there be? o_O

I know that Acronis knows how to partition hard drives, they have a stand alone product that does this. Maybe that IS the problem. Am I supposed to buy two products to get the restore done properly?

I am eagerly awaiting Acronis' response to this glaring problem in an otherwise good product.

David Killeen

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I presume you got into this predicament when you restored an image of your small drive to the bigger drive.
    The Acronis recommended way to upgrade to a new larger drive is to use the cloning method rather than imaging. During this process you would have been given options as to how you wanted to expand into the extra space.
    There is, to my mind, an even neater way to bring the unallocated space into use. Just recover your image to the larger drive and then create a Secure Zone in the unused space. The next step, using the manage secure zone wizard is to delete the newly created zone and you will then be able to allocate it to your drive to bring it into use.
    So to put things into perspective the , as you put it, gearing failing is really down to the fact that you did not adequately read the manual, FAQs or consult this group before getting in a muddle.
    I hope you already had your partition management progam to hand and did not actually make a special purchase.

Xpilot

3. D Killeen

With a dead drive cloning is difficult to do.

Too many hoops to jump through. Program should be smart enough to ask whether or not you want to fill up the available space.

Yep, you're right. I just assumed that the product would do what other imaging apps do. Yes, I know what assume really means :D

No, I had Parition Magic on hand.

Xpilot[/QUOTE]

My purpose for this post is really to get Acronis to give me an answer about why ATI isn't a little more user freindly about restores. I really like the program and would not use anything else. But I can't be the only one that took advantage of a dead hard drive and used this emergency to update to a bigger drive. Acronis has drive management software in place with another product. Is it too much to ask to use a limited version of the partitioning software to make restores to larger drives easier?

David Killeen

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

David,

There was another option available without resorting to Partition Magic. You should have invoked the Recovery Wizard again and performed one more restore on top of the previous one, this time as a partition(s) restore with resizing.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello David,

Assuming you are using True Image 9.0 Home Build 3567 or higher, you can resize the partitions during a restore. Unfortunately, it's not quite as intuative as it could be:

1. When you get to the screen asking which partition or whole hard drive you want to restore make sure you only tick the checkbox adjacent to a Partition rather than the Disk Number.
    2. Later in the restore process you will be able to drag the partition size slider to the size you want.
    3. When you are then asked whether you want to restore another partition or hard drive, select "Yes, I want to restore another partition or hard drive". You can then select another partition (if the original hard drive contained more than one) and resize that if required.
    4. Repeat step #3 for all partitions in the image, finishing off by ticking the MBR & Track 0 checkbox.
    5. When done, commit the combined restore via the "Proceed" button. You should then end up with a bootable system drive where the partition(s) fills all the available space on the new drive.

Sounds a bit long winded I know but it's really just a case of selecting the individual partition(s), resizing it/them accordingly and then finally including the MBR & Track 0 before committing the restore.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Menorcaman,
    Just a quick post to compliment you and several of the other dedicated volunteers that continue to respond (frequently, and in great detail) to so many different postings.

The acronus users asking for answers probably do not realize how lucky they are and how much benefit they derive from responses--such as yours--and the others. I'm new to the forum and I can see the time investment you guys make in order to provide answers-- such as the above. The user manual offers a great deal (if the user takes the time to read it) but that hands-on experience is ever so helpful. As I follow along the many posts, I find helpful info that only first hand experience can provide. Thanks. Grover

7. D Killeen

Thanks for the information, guys. One can hope that Acronis will one day make restores to larger drives more intuitive. I am a little disappointed that after spending good money for their program no one from Acronis cared enough to chime in. o_O

David

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Based on my experience using it, if you used Ghost and had a problem, the support would have been long waits in telephone hell, wrong answers, or possibly worse. It was Symantec that really impressed me to move to another vendor, which led me to Acronis. It ain't perfect but there's real help available.

sh

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Neat trick.
    I tried it to see if it would let me resize a partition having the 'bad sector' issue - unfortunately it doesn't.
    (see link: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=82535)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.