"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kirk Reynolds, Jan 11, 2014.

1. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't mind the point naming scheme. It is simpler than "SP1, SP2." But they really should keep it consistent; Update 1 should have been "8.2." I don't care if some updates are more significant than others; this would just be a lot easier to follow. They might even consider just doing an annual point release, regardless of whatever changes and fixes are included.

2. guest

guest Guest

It's just that it'd be annoying to answer questions like "what OS are you using?" when troubleshooting some issues. It's not that 8.x is the problem. The problem is the whole naming scheme which goes by Windows [insert major release here] Update [insert semi-major update release here] [insert a name of a month here] Update. Then what we will get next? Windows 9 Update 1 December Update Wednesday Update Night Update 8:00 P.M. GMT+5 Update A.1.00.087.152.12? Meh. Besides, SPs are smaller in size. Downloading almost 4GB update is just the same as downloading the whole OS, for barely any worthy improvement.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, I've already experienced confusion talking with people about the Windows 8.1 update (to go from 8.0 to 8.1) Vs Windows 8.1 Update 1. To make matters worse "Update 1" (for Windows 8.1) is not documented in System Properties so there's no easy way to tell if the update has been applied. Another problem I've experienced with "Update 1" is it's so large that it often won't download. I now carry around an offline installer so I can apply the update without wasting time trying to use Windows Update.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but will an w8.11 internal update ?
    or should i do a clean install ?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

from my internal sources april is not set anywhere in stone yet. also i have been told about the virtual desktops as mentioned above but its a very early thought right now and may or may not find there way into windows 9.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zfactor, the linked article does reflect that caveat:

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m back on Win 8 again, and it´s really kinda crappy. The development team should be ashamed of themselves. :)

1 Even when you don´t use Metro, you still sometimes see the "Metro style" GUI.
    2 Had to install Classic Shell to get rid of Metro.
    3 No ability to change tool-tip colors.
    4 Horrible tray-bar icon management, plus you won´t always get to see the context menu when "right clicking" on the icons.
    5 For some reason the "Focus Rectangle" is now visible almost everywhere, with no way to turn it off.
    6 Had to apply a "tweak" to bring back the "quick launch bar".
    7 Horrible, not easy to manage and slow "Task Scheduler".
    8 All kinds of system services running in the background, way more than in Win XP.
    9 Windows don´t remember size and position.
    10 Win Explorer doesn´t remember "colum size".

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Welcome to the Real World... :)

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, very disappointing for a billion dollar company to come up with this, as a geek these things really get on my nerves. If guys like me can spot this kinda stuff, why can´t their quality control (and GUI design) team? :thumbd:

EDIT: the guy/girl who decided to not give an on/off option for the "Focus Rectangle", should do some jail-time.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Awesome post. Especially for point #1. For me 8 is unusable.

15. guest

guest Guest

JFYI: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

16. anon

anon Registered Member

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-win...ktops-drop-charms-7000032401/#ftag=RSS0966a21

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, virtual desktops :cool: Are all of the people who were confused by the dual UI in Windows 8.X going to like the abstraction of multiple desktops? I've played with Virtual Desktop apps and they add a level of complexity to accomplish little more than minimizing an app to the taskbar (they hide the taskbar icon).

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just don't make me go to Apple.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

21. guest

guest Guest

The more I read news and rumours about 9 the more I lost interest on it. Is there nothing more interesting in 9?

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The question is what does a new version of Windows really need? Windows 7 is already very mature. There's nothing signficant in Windows 8 that was needed for the desktop and the "under the hood" improvements, such as UEFI support and Secure Boot, could have been added to "7" via Service Pack. I expect "9" will be an evolutionary step forward, restoring the functionality of the desktop and having underlying improvements, but I don't see how they're going to create buzz to market it. I don't think virtual desktops are going to sell it. Still, as long as it does restore desktop functionality I will upgrade.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

9 will just be a continuation of 8 with a few surface distractions to make people think it's better again. Don't hold your breathe....

24. guest

guest Guest

@Victek
    It needs more security.

@Kerodo
    Just curious of what under-the-hood improvements in 9. Basically that's what made me upgraded to 8. There doesn't seem to be enough love for that everywhere, as it always seems to be. :doubt:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  25. guest

guest Guest

As you might have already known...

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-1-August-Update-What-s-New-454792.shtml

------------------------------------------------------------

JFYI, this thing they called August Update (code: KB2975719) is 171.1 MB in size (my OS is Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 64-bit).

Personal troll note: Good luck to those who list the OSes they are using in their sigs. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.