"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kirk Reynolds, Jan 11, 2014.

1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No, it is has been confirmed, not at least until Update 3. If Update 2 would contain Start menu, people would have no reason to buy Windows 9. :argh:

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I'm happy to hear that MS will be releasing a public preview of Threshold aka Windows 9 in Fall 2014; I'll definitely be checking it out in a VM. I'm hoping that the effort to make 9 more desktop friendly will extend throughout the OS and not be limited to restoring the Start Menu.

It seem unlikely that MS would offer 9 to Windows 7SP1 users for free. I'd be happy with a discounted license offer similar to the offer when 8 was first released.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yeah, I think Mary Jo Foley's opinion that MS now views Windows 8 as Vista 2.0 is correct. They want to distance themselves from it and release Threshold/9 as something new so people will give it a chance.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    did you find 8.1 really better then v8?

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I did not see much difference between 8.0 and 8.1, however there are important changes in "Update 1" for 8.1, such as a close button (X) on full screen Metro apps and support for booting directly to the desktop. If I was using 8.0 I would definitely update to "8.1 Update 1" for these features.

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

8.1 is usable without ClasicShell or similar, 8 is not. Another advantage is that the search function operates globally. In general, 8.1 is a much better OS.

8. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I wonder if we'll be able to customize the size of the tiles on the right side of the menu. I've wondered if there is any rhyme or reason as to which tiles get large rectangles while others get smaller squares. I think, along with the color choices, that it's supposed to be random, but I'm not sure.

What I think would be cool though, is if the tile size could be based on how often you use the program - so of course a frequently used program would get a large tile while a rarely used program would get a small tile. If they won't do it automatically, I'd at least like to set it myself.

9. guest

guest Guest

10. guest

guest Guest

I heard that 8.1 Update 3 was scrapped and they would jump to 9 instead. The last semi-major upgrade for 8.x family was supposed to be 8.1 Update 2 which either would be delivered via WU or Store. But then again, speculations are still speculations.

11. SirDrexl

Speaking of point releases and updates, I hope that with Windows 9 they simplify the naming scheme. If they want to use points, use points and don't give us this "8.1 Update 1" stuff. Just call the first major update 9.1, then the next would be 9.2, and so on.

BTW, that activation system sounds troublesome. I've always been wary of systems that require the current activation to be removed first. What happens if your drive crashes (and you don't have an image) and you can't remove your activation? Or maybe you just forget to do it? I hope they would let you log in from computer B to remove the activation from computer A.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, the Windows 8 ".1" update (to go from 8.0 to 8.1) Vs Windows 8.1 "update 1" has been confusing.

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Microsoft desperately tried to avoid using Service Pack's name, because people are accustomed to use Windows since SP1. MS wanted to break the circle, it has not worked out, people actually consider 8.1.1 to be SP1. I was honestly expecting the next update to be called something like Windows 8.1 Update 1 Patch 1. :D

14. guest

guest Guest

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but shouldn't the ei.cfg trick still work to enforce the new license key?

HAHAHAHAH!! :argh:

15. SirDrexl

I don't know what you mean. That file just dictates which edition to install and the type of licensing.

I'm not sure, but it sounds as if the product key you have to enter (the one that would come with the disc if you buy it that way) is only temporary and the "real" key is hidden. So if you lose your installation without de-activating it, you won't get to enter the key because you won't know it. The temporary key would only be used the first time, to prove you bought it and associate your copy with your account.

16. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Report by the Verge & citing people close to the matter reveals Microsoft is working to make
    the Start screen capable to maximizing to the entire screen and cover your whole desktop.
    The Start menu would only be part of Windows 9 versions installed on PCs and devices with a mouse
    and keyboard, while touch-capable devices, such as tablets, would get the Start screen and no menu.

As usual, we should take everything with a pinch of salt because Microsoft hasn’t confirmed anything to so far.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-9-s-Start-Menu-Could-Eat-Up-the-Entire-Desktop-451624.shtml

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Well I hope they have learned something from mistakes they have made with Windows 8 interface.

19. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

What we know about the next versions of Windows

Permit me to start by going through the list of characters...

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/what-we-know-about-the-next-versions-of-windows-247018

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Since new update will be optional and it won't bring any significant changes, I will think twice before updating. And the name will be 'August update'? Who has come up with such bright naming idea? o_O
    At least I know MS has given up on 8, so I can wait till 9 comes out.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree that the naming convention for the updates is confusing and ridiculous - who knows what they're thinking. Although the August Update doesn't bring new features it may be worthwhile - we'll have to see what it addresses eg, compatibility? bug fixes? I'm also glad to see the focus switching to 9 and hope there will be a public beta this Fall. I really would like to feel excited again about a new version of Windows :thumb:

24. anon

anon Registered Member

25. guest

guest Guest

So it's been official that Windows 8.1 Update 2 never exists eh? Windows 8.1 Update 1 August Update... Give me back my service packs! The naming scheme is so silly! >=V

I really can't imagine about how they would name Windows 9 releases.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.