SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Ah, I think I understand. I can imagine someone reported LibreOffice 5.3.1.2 as beta a few days earlier, when 5.3.1.2 was still beta, and by the time you finally got to flag it as beta, it was no longer beta, but you didn't notice. Am I right, maybe?
    Don't worry about it, Kyle. If was fun arm-wrestling over LibreOffice 5.3.1.2. :D

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I'd suppose that this is due to some programs used by a few users, which might cause such "fluctuations". Next time it happens please post screenshots of both occurences so that i can give it a closer look.

Thanks !

5. roger_m

Thanks Kyle, I'll post screenshots soon.

6. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thanks !

appart from this, any feedback on SUMo ?

7. roger_m

I like it a lot because of the very large database, which makes it stand out from other software updaters. It would be nice for it to be able and to download and launch installers for softeware you want to update, but I do realise this would be a lot of work to implement.

I also use Software Update Pro, from Glarysoft, which downloads and silently installs updates, which is good in theory, but has a very limited database compared to SUMo.

8. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

9. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

SUMo has always worked as advertised, no problems here. Keep up the good work, Kyle.:thumb:

10. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thanks ! I'm preparing 5.1.5 and 5.2.x. Any "big feature" you'd love to see in 5.2 among the ones listed in our bug tracker ?

11. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Hm... I can't think of any "big features" at the moment. SUMo does what it's supposed to do - it helps me keep my software up to date. I'll get back to you if I can think of something that should be added to SUMo. Thanks for all you do, Kyle.:)

12. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

OK !

13. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Are you planning on solving the DPI issues with your GUIs?

One feature that would be nice is to be able to ignore an individual file instead of the whole product. For example 7-zip. I have a special version exe related to 7zip called 7zdn.exe v4. 42 which was wriiten by Igor for RVMi which only decompresses and does not have the archiving function implemented. If I set this to ignore, All 7-zip stuff is ignored. IMO ignoring on a product level is a bit too broad, especially where multiple exe files are involved. Another case, is where other apps are still using older 7-zip components. I may want to ignore only those individual files.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  14. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

What you're looking at is exclusion of file/filepaths. I'll have this done !

15. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Thanks Kyle for answering my occasional email notifications so fast on Betas/Errors. SuMo is really a great program!

16. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

+1

17. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you guys !
    Big drop in "PRO" licence orders these days... i hope future 5.2 will help to recover !

18. paulderdash

Sure hope so. You deserve it.

19. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

20. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 5.1.5 (Released 2017-03-22)
    ==================================

http://www.kcsoftwares.com

21. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

22. paulderdash

I still use PSI (3) just to monitor only (not download - I do that manually). But it has performance issues on my system, so I have considered uninstalling it.

Frankly, SUMo shows much more and is definitely my update monitoring product of choice.

The only benefit of PSI is that it shows if an app is EOL.

23. Stupendous Man

I hope all former PSI 2.0 users properly understand that SUMo is an entirely different product than PSI.
    SUMo reports any new update and does not report EOL status, PSI reports security updates only and also EOL status.
    And PSI 3.0 offers automatic updating (PSI 2.0 offered a little), SUMo does not.
    As long as users understand those differences and their consequences, it's great that PSI users use SUMo.

Like paulderdash, I use both SUMo and PSI, first PSI 2.0, since last Friday PSI 3.0.
    PSI I use with all automated features set to manual mode only (so no downloading updates automatically, no updating programs automatically, Secunia PSI Agent service set to manual, Secunia Update Agent service set to manual, and disabled Secunia PSI Tray startup item in msconfig). I use PSI to do one manual scan a week, just to be sure I did not overlook some security update, and also to check if none of my applications is EOL.
    Others may also want PSI updating programs automatically, but I don't need that and don't want that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  24. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Would an EOL tag in SUMo be useful for you ? It should not be such a burden to put in place.

Regarding EOL : it is a tag for a complete "discontinued" product (eg : will NEVER receive any new update) what PSI does and what you may need ?

25. Stupendous Man

As there's still PSI 3.0, there's no real need for EOL tags in SUMo, but for whom only uses SUMo, EOL tags in SUMo may certainly be useful. However, I don't know which percentage of SUMo users would find such feature useful.
    If you implement such feature in SUMo, please make sure it can be enabled/disabled in SUMo settings.
    And please try to make sure EOL tags are correct, beyond any discussion, and usable, not like the current PSI 3.0 EOL tag for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x. But as Flexera support explained to Spiff and colebantam (see their April 4th posts), that is not that easy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.