Suggestions for "light" paid AV for older computer.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acillatem, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

I've been using NOD32 for a very long time, and now with version 5, my scan times are ridiculously long, and so is the startup scan. ESET customer service tried some different settings, and it didn't help, so I'm looking for a new AV that works well, and doesn't mind being on an older computer.
    It's a 9 year old Dell, XP, P4 1.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 40Gb HD with about 6Gb free space.

Thanks in advance!

2. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

The slowdown you've been seeing with ESET NOD32 v.5 might not necessarily be NOD32's fault.
    It might be caused by several reasons and you may want to try to narrow down the culprit.

Some examples: [a] Do you defragment your hard drive very often? How many programs do you have installed on your computer? [c] What security programs you have running on your computer that might conflict with NOD32? [d] Have you tried reverting to NOD32 v.4 to see if the problem goes away?

Form your configuration, I see you have plenty of RAM memory to run NOD32.
    Thus, memory shouldn't matter and your P4 processor can handle tasks very easily. Therefore, I'm thinking that is something related to your drive itself.
    What % of free space you have in your HDD?

If you can come up with answers to these questions, may be some posters here might be able to help you.

Regards,

Carlos

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Sorry, didn't see at a glance you'd posted how much free space you have on your HDD. I see you only have 6GB free out of a 40 GB hard disk.

That means you only have 15% free space left. So, your OS along with your programs occupy 36GB out of 40GB [ ~85%].

No wonder why NOD32 v.5 takes forever to scan those 36GB of files, folders, data and programs.
    Have you thought about freeing up some space backing up some data to an external HDD and uninstalling some programs you might not use?

Thanks.

Carlos

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. acillatem

Thanks.....and I have another thread going about this issue.:)
    I did try version 4, same thing. No other security programs that would conflict. I use MBAM but not real time. These are scans that take this long with nothing else running.

5. acillatem

I hadn't considered that but maybe I will. The weird thing is I haven't added anything significant lately, and not long ago, with version 4, it never took this long. I haven't defragmented the drive in a while either. Thanks for the tips.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.