StartPage-DU trojan - it keeps coming back!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sirbartonslady, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirbartonslady

sirbartonslady Registered Member

Long story..... bear with me, I'm very verbose ;)

I have McAfee virus-scan and recently downloaded Ad-aware (and am keeping it up-to-date with scans every other day) yet I'm still having trouble with this trojan -- it seems like every fifteen to thirty minutes McAfee pops up an alert that says it has detected and cleaned a file infected by the StartPage-DU trojan.

The first couple of times, I told it to do a full-system virus-scan afterwards. Mind you, it takes about an hour for VirusScan to scan my entire system, at which time I cannot really do anything else (my system's RAM / virutal memory cache goes berserk on me and starts denying memory requests if I try to do anything else while VirusScan is scanning) But it never pulls anything up. Ad-Aware has come out clean the last two times I've run it. But I'm still getting this StartPage-DU trojan alert regularly.

I went to McAfee's site and did everything they said to do.... and it still doesn't work.

I get this alert whether I'm surfing the internet or not -- I can be working on somehting in PaintShopPro or in Microsoft FrontPage, with no browsers open to the internet, and I still get that alert. Even playing games I've had that alert interrupt play to tell me that. So I know it's not a specific site I'm going to that's giving me the trojan.

I'm at my wit's end, and it's starting to really irritate me. I can't set a "home" page in my browser because this trojan hijacks that and changes it to "about:blank" which points, strangely enough, to some bizarre search engine (I have the MyWebSearch toolbar, which may account for that).

What can I do to get rid of this stupid Trojan once and for all? McAfee is good at detecting and removing it, but can't seem to prevent it from coming along in the first place.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi sirbartonslady :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Looks like u have the 'about:blank' Hijacker.

U could follow the instructions here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post your HijackThis log in the hijack cleaning forum and one of the experts will give u recommendations on any Malware found.

If u do post your log, please be patient as it could take some time to get an answer as it is quite busy in that forum at the moment.

snowbound

3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I have the same virus on my computer as well, except mine is not as bad and does not seem to be active as my homepage does not get hijacked and McAfee only pops up with it every couple of days, it also always seems to infect something in my system32 folder, I do not know if it is a legit file or one that the virus created. I believe that I got the virus from a browser hijack that I had a few weeks ago, CWS shedder fixed the problem, but I think that this virus may be left over from the hijack. It does not bother me too much because the virus does not do anything bad and does not seem to be causing any harm to my system, I would still like to get it off of my computer regardless, but I have no idea how. See the two threads below, in the first one the poster was able to get rid of it, the second one I posted and it has not gotten any replies yet.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=38441&highlight=Startpage-DU

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=40246

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.