Asking for help getting rid of “Startpage-DU” virus.

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by Matt_Smi, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Hello,

I have a virus that McAfee keeps finding every few days and that I cannot get rid of. It comes up as “startpage-DU” and usually when it comes up it has also infected another file in the system 32 folder. I have read this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=38441 and the poster seems to have had the same problem but got it solved with help here, I am hoping that I may be able to solve it with help as well. The starter of that thread seems to have had the same virus as me, except mine does not seem to be doing anything bad to my system, it does not hijack my homepage and my computer seems to be running fine. I did have a browser hijack a few weeks ago, but was able to get rid of it with CWS shedder, maybe this virus is left over from that? Anyway I have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D 1.3 and McAfee all updated and I also have CWS shedder and Hijack this! If you want me to post a log to start let me know. I am glad that the virus seems to be doing no harm, but it is annoying knowing that it’s on there, plus it occasionally infects something in system 32, which can’t be good. I hope with some help/advice here I can get rid of it, but I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to registry edits and such, and I think that is what may be needed in order to get rid of it, Anyway thanks.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.