SpywareGuard 2.2 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groelands

groelands Registered Member

Thank you, now I understand it's functionality better.

Gerard Roelands

2. tj500005

tj500005 Guest

Spyware Guard 2.2 why does is the definitions date is 8/30/03? It says it's up to date but how could it be?

3. tj500006

tj500006 Guest

my mistake. I needed to to run update. anyway showing 1/22/04 now.. Still a 14 mo. old. Same question still applies.

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

That is the latest update.

Check out # 218 for explanation why. ;)

snowbound

5. $impl?_?i?h

$impl?_?i?h Registered Member

Hey nice update, thanks very much :)

6. john42

john42 Registered Member

Does anyone know how to uninstall spyware guard. I've tried but have to date been unsuccessful. thanx o_O

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Let's start with the (supposedly) obvious -- did you exit SG before trying to uninstall, so it's not showing in the tooltray icons? Otherwise it's still active in memory. You might also have to turn off the 3 protection items (Options) and save the new settings before shutting it down.

8. Luc

Luc Guest

Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released!-----> PROBLEM

After installing SG (minimal setup, but also with full setup) I get an unknown error:
    'System error &H80004005 (-214746259) non descriptive error'

Can anybody help me?

9. Ruud

Ruud Guest

Hi, i 'm using the SpywareGuard anti-spyware program.
    Now is the def file from 1/22/04, is that not very, very old?

Regards,

Ruud.

10. snowbound

Well, 1/22/04 are the latest defs and the reasons why it is seldom updated is explained here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=23839

snowbound

11. Alphonse

Alphonse Registered Member

Hi,

I thank you all very much for developping these products.
    Is it possible - on the homewebsite javacoolsoftware - to create a notification what's the most recent update for spywareguard under the icon products ? Because when someone is new one of the first looks is the icon products and after downloading spywareguard I know for sure the following question will be: "please help, because of having errors in updating". After some time I read the some answers in wilderssecurity-forums.
    Forgive my poor english, please.

regards, Alphonse

12. fred hogg

fred hogg Guest

I have downloaded SG 2.2 to try it out. I have not used SG before. When I double click the icon it will not open. When I look in the Properties it is set up for Windows 95 and I use XP? Can you help please.
    Fred.

13. babybert

babybert Registered Member

I am not sure if this is even the right place to post this. I have been searching all of the wilders forums and I am stumped. The other day I find out that I had shinwow and came across spyguard and mrublaster. I downloaded them and managed to get rid of adware and other spyware that my spyware killer and pestpatrol didn't find.

Now I can't access my Astrobingo site. I know it sounds crazy, but this seems to be coincidental? I keep getting page cannot be displayed errors. I also try my downloaded version of the bingo game and it won't open either. It is very frustrating and I don't know what to do. I've tried to uninstall both programs and they are both not found.

Please help!
    Thank you! :)

If I can't get to this site, why can't I uninstall Spywareguard? Please I am desperate!

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  14. babybert

babybert Registered Member

OK forget it, tell me how to get rid of it. This and MRU blaster. They are causing me nothing but problems. PLEASE!

15. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I am a relative novice myself, but I have been using both SpywareGuard and MRU Blaster for some time without any problem (Spyware Blaster as well). The only thing I can think of as far as the Astrobingo problem goes is that something may be misinterpreting it as malware for some reason. Maybe a coincidence? Is it possible that some of your AS has led you to inadvertently delete a cookie associated with that site so that you can't get back in? Cookies sometimes contain passwords and other essential information related to their site.

As for the two AS applications you mentioned, I never liked Pest Patrol because it seemed to have a problem with false positives, but recently on my own machine when I ran a free scan, none showed up. Maybe they are improving their product.

I don't think Spyware Killer is a very good product. See the Spyware Warrior site for some comments on it. I never see it mentioned as a top AS application. Try both Spybot and Ad-Aware SE (both free, but consider a donation to Spybot). The Microsoft AS is free also, formerly Giant AS, which I understand was essentially the same as Counterspy when MS acquired it. I like Spy Sweeper very much, but it is not free.

I also run regular scans with the free versions of Spyware Doctor and a-squared.

If you have Windows XP, I would suggest you create a Restore point before you download either any major or any "dubious" files. That way if you have trouble uninstalling them or something just does not seem right to you for whatever reason, you can just roll your system back to the pre-install point in time, and you can still go forward to the later point if you choose. I have done so a couple of times. Works great for me. The Restore point description I use is "pre (product X) download", where product X is the file in question.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. Hopefully the more techie types here can assist you.

16. Sholix

Sholix Registered Member

Hi.
    I've been reading about the update questions other users have had but I find the responses don't help me.

My Update was last done on 08/30/2003.
    This is said to be the backup.
    And I get the same error message others get when trying to update.

I've tried exiting the program and restarting, but still cannot get the latest update {1/2//2004}.

Is my only recourse to uninstall SpyGuard and do a fresh d/l and installation?

Any and all serious suggestions will be considered.

Thanks in advance.

17. snowbound

18. Sholix

Sholix Registered Member

:cool:
    Many thanks.
    I'm now current with the rest of the Community. :D

Oh yeah!
    Is there an OPTION somewhere that I'm overlooking, to do a manual update on the programs' interface?

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  19. snowbound

Your welcome. I'm glad u got it worked out. :)

The only way to update Spywareguard through the interface is the Live Update option.

snowbound

20. noel

noel Guest

Definations database

i installed spywareguard recently. Brand new install.
    the definations database date is 1/22/04.
    Updatre tells me there is no more recent version available.
    A database over a year old cannot possible be good.........
    Is this the most recent database? and if so, why is it not updated?
    ..or do I have another issue with the program?.....

21. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

22. Gandalf

Gandalf Registered Member

Have just installed v2.2 and updated successfully. One small query: I got the following and allowed it, presuming it to be a false positive. Is this OK?

NEW BHO DETECTION ALERT
    On 10:39:55 06/10/2005 a new BHO installation attempt was detected.
    BHO: {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2}
    ProgramID: SpywareGuardDLBLOCK.CBrowserHelper
    File Location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
    User Action Taken: KEEP BHO

Gandalf

23. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Gandalf, This is spywareguards BHO download blocker, and is legit. If you have spybot S+D installed open it, look in tools and then BHO's, there you will find all your BHO's including this one [which I have too]. All the legit BHO's have a green tick......... as should this one.
    Gordon

24. Gandalf

Gandalf Registered Member

Cheers, Gordon have checked SS&D and it is indeed there marked with a green check mark.
    Many thanks
    Gandalf

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.