SpywareGuard Updates

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by amoeba, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoeba

amoeba Registered Member

Hi All!
    Just wondering what the info stated in the "Definitions Information" box should say in version 2.2 .

Mine says "1/22/04".
    Is this the latest definitions version available?
    Thanks,Rich

2. Nick

Nick Registered Member

That's correct, you have the latest update.

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  4. amoeba

amoeba Registered Member

Re:Having problems with SpywareGuard Updates

So,being ignorant of the usual update process,I'd like to know if it's normal for so much time to pass between updates?

My definitions date shows 1/22/04,some 40 odd days since the last update.That may be normal,but I have no way of knowing this.I am used to antivirus and trojan programs,which both update at least weekly,sometimes daily.Is there some other way to know that I have the latest update,besides clicking the Live Update link,then assuming it works?

Please understand,I'm not complaining,just want to be more informed.Thanks!
    Rich

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi amoeba,

The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. (Basically this means it doesn't need a specific signature for every spyware it catches, simply an overall pattern or approach-used, which it can identify and then trigger off of.) So, SpywareGuard works for many of the newer versions of the same spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them.

An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.

6. amoeba

amoeba Registered Member

Thanks for the fast reply!
    Helps to give me a better understanding of the software I'm using. Rich

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

If I might make one addition to LWM's (excellent, of course) explanation? In practice, the last two updates were each on the order of about 2 months after the previous one. Somewhere "official" (maybe in SG's Help?) there's a recommendation that you check for updates about once a month.

8. tigbroad

tigbroad Registered Member

Have just been checking for the latest updates and the date is still at 1/22/04. Is this correct as it seems quite a long time since for it not to be updated. Would it be possible to be able to go to a page somewhere to make sure we have the latest updates - say on the SpywareGaurd homepage ?. I am not criticising but as I am new to computing I dont know all the ins and outs things like this.

9. snowbound

Yes, that date u posted is correct for the latest Spywareguard Defs.

The reasons why it is not updated very often is explained in LWM's post #5 in case u didn't see it. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

snowbound

10. tigbroad

tigbroad Registered Member

Thanks Snowbound. Have read the other reference which you kindly pointed out to me and I think I understand the gist of it !! Will rely on the powers that be to keep us updated as and when its needed. Thanks again. Tig

11. snowbound

Your welcome tigbroad. ;) :D

snowbound

12. howdy1

howdy1 Guest

just a related question...

my DOESN'T say the last update was 1/22/04, but rather it says the last update 8/30/03.

is this strange? I mean everyone else seems to have January as their last update but mine is August even though I've updated my definitions many times.

13. dog

dog Guest

Hi Howdy1, ;)

Is your Spyware Guard ver. 2.2? ... if not here's a Link ... yes, the latest def's should be 1/22/04

dog - *puppy*

14. howdy1

howdy1 Guest

thanks dog :)

I just shut down the program and restarted the computer (for an unrelated reason) and checked the definitions date on it again, and it now says January.

woohoo. :D

15. Joakim Agren

Joakim Agren Guest

Hello!

I have read the explaination why SG is not updated very often but now it seems to be almost ridiculus how long it has been since new definitions was added, it is now soon 14 months since it was updated. It must be some spywares by now that has evolved to avoid detection by SG so if that is the case is SG useless as protection by now??

Has the program been discontinued as far as development is concerned??

It sure seems like it!!

Sincerely Joakim Agren!!

16. ffx

ffx Guest

I agree wth Joakim Agren...

Is possible to have an answer about it?

17. JiM35

JiM35 Guest

'Lo,

Sorry for may poor english, I'm french...

THX a lot for these explanations about SGuard updating.
    I also wondered how it could be updated with a last update on 04/04.

I understand now.

THX a lot.

PS : my computer is protected with SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol, a² and spybot. Antivirus : KAV as resident, and BitDefender Free as complement for ananlysis of downloaded files.
    In one year, while surfing on warez boards and downloading with emule and torrent, ZERO problem.

THX a lot for your explanations,
    for these excellent softwares.

18. Anonypuss

Anonypuss Guest

I agree,

What's up with this software? Is it discontinued?

At least have the guts to admit it !

19. somebody

somebody Guest

How come there isn't a way to manually update the definitions for SpywareGuard? I mean going on the Internet and being able to click on a link that provides the actual update. I'm thinking this because i'm currently fixing up my computer and then I can't be able to use the liveupdate yet because my firewall is in the way and I want to stay on my limited account (I have Windows Xp) so that I can stay on the internet and make sure that spyware don't wreck my computer. Other programs have been able to do this on their website, why can't yours?

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

21. scuro

scuro Registered Member

Today is November 13, 2005 - the latest update is 1/22/04? I read the thread about it using heuristic scans, but surely there has been something new in 21 months?

22. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

I've noticed that Spyware Guard's definitions update date has been 1/22/04 for forever and there is never any updates available when checking. But I do remember when there were updates available and I did ADD SpywareBlaster after I added SpywareGuard so it is possible that SpywareGuard uses the SpyBlaster DB somehow thus not needing anymore updates after I added SpywareBlaster.

I have wondered about whether it was still supported but as I said I finally kind of assumed that for those who have SpywareBlaster the update is taken care of since I have been always checking this program for updates and maybe Spyware Guard uses this DB beyond the hueristics programing that it uses.

I've kind of wondered if I were to not check for updates on Spyware Blaster would the Spyware Guard then give me an update ? But the problem is I never know when SpywareBlaster has an update until it is already updating so I cannot check the manual update for Spyware Guard ahead of time to really find that out.

Is there anyone that actually ONLY uses SpywareGuard WITHOUT SpywareBlaster ? If this were the case then this would rule out my suggestion.

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

SpywareGuard and Spywareblaster are two totally different programs(apples and oranges). Neither program feeds off the other programs database. SpywareGuards latest database update was 1/22/04. If a user only had SpywareGuard installed they would be receiving the same exact protection, updates....etc....that a user of both programs receive.

24. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

If I may, Bubba, your wording was a little misleading (at least to me) ...

By "same exact protection, updates ... etc." you mean with regard to SpywareGuard itself -- i.e., SpywareBlaster wouldn't give you the same thing but updated more frequently. That's pretty well spelled out in the first part of your post, but this part might be a little confusing, particularly to a newcomer.

Best, as usual,
    Mike

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yes....SpywareGuard files(def1.dtb, def2.dtb, dlbdata1.dtb and dlbdata2.dtb) can only be downloaded via the program or by following the above mentioned Manually Updating SpywareGuard link.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.