Spyshelter Keylogger Test

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I wish Xiaolin would add protection for these two activities. :'(

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I tried it too, when executing the test, prevx said threat detected, I then clicked ignore to do try tests.

Keylogging - It is able to log the keystrokes when typing with the testtool in the foreground, but not when typing in a form on the https site.
    Webcam capture - Is able to make a screen capture.
    Screenshot - error
    Clipboard - fails, even works when doing it inside a https website
    System protection - blocked
    Sound record - seems like fail, but the created sound file doesn't contain any sound, even when making lots of noise, so is blocked is some way :)

I'm using v3.0.5.85 with safe-online(all default settings) on Vista HP SP2 32 bits.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have called this thread to Xiaolin's attention. I'm hopeful that he will visit here when he finds time to do so.

By the way, the Password Manager that I use provides for "obfuscating" ClipBoard entries when used for entering private information. Even so, I would be very happy if Xiaolin added Clipboard protection to Malware Defender in the near future.

4. xiaolin

xiaolin Registered Member

IMHO, it's not critical security activities. I will think about it but have no plan yet. :)

Thanks,
    Xiaolin

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks for visiting, Xiaolin. However I must disagree with you concerning the fact that MD does not protect against ClipBoard monitoring. Other HIPS (such as Online Armor) DO protect against Clipboard monitoring. Why shouldn't MD offer equal protection?

Many less-experienced computer users use the clipboard to cut & paste private information into Logins. A ClipBoard monitor can readily steal this information. PLEASE add Clipboard protection to MD.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Got to say, never heard of SpyShelter before now, so thanks to guest :thumb: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=266798

From the various tests so far it looks like a very good App, and therefore a serious contender.

Have the full version of Zemana and tried the AntiTest.exe myself, after allowing it through ProcessGuard. Also have PE Guard by OPS installed on PowerGuard, and not a peep from it ? We shouldn't really expect to see blocks by AV etc with tests such as these, as they know that they are NOT real malware. I didn't get any alerts from Prevx or Antivir. Whether this is due to what i just said, i don't know, but i hope so.

Don't have a webcam, and no microphone is permanently connected. Zemana gave me a prompt on all the other applicable tests, and blocked all attempts at capture etc, nice.

Thanks to all the testers :thumb:

AntiTest.exe along with the Zemana and other tests, are all very useful tools.

By the way, Zemana now updated to v1.9.2.172

z.png

7. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Threatfire passed the webcam, system protection and sound test with this file. Lol.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did any body tried mamutu?

9. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I second that!

10. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Online Armor 4.0.0.15.Free:

Keylogging -- Fail
    Webcam -- Pass (but said Key Logger Detected o_O )
    Screen Capture -- Pass
    ClipBoard -- Pass
    System Protection -- Pass
    Sound Record -- Couldn't test this

Rising Free AV 2010 only passed System Protection (and I didn't expect it to pass others, it isn't meant for that)

Attached Files:

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

was it not pushed to the auto updates yet, cuz i checked and says no new update in the program and shows an older version.

12. firzen771

well i do have A2 running, but Zemana caught it all so not sure, ill try disabling zemana and try

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool man;) thanks

14. CloneRanger

@firzen771

Hi i updated via the inbuilt checker, as you can see it's definately v1.9.2.172.

zan.png

Try again.

15. firzen771

ye it just updated like an hour ago, it just wasnt pushed thru wen u posted i guess.

16. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Thanks for publishing all the tests. Saves me some work. Feeling very comfortable with my OA++/Zemana combo now. :thumb:

17. CloneRanger

@firzen771

Good news :thumb:

18. darkwolf_99

darkwolf_99 Registered Member

in my win7-32bit, CIS v4 can pass all of spyshelter's test except sound record because i am not sure that it passed the test.

but spyshelter 3.1 cannot pass the clipboard test in through-the-eyes-of-a-keylogger_v1_0_0:blink:

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think this tool will be good to run with an antivirus but when you run a program that already protects your keyboard is not needed:D

20. BerserkerPup

BerserkerPup Registered Member

Currently running NIS, Mamutu, SAS Pro, Zemana, WinPatrol Plus resident.

When I first tried to run antitest.ext, NIS kicked it immediately to quarantine as a threat.

I allowed it, and Zemana caught:
    Keylogger
    Webcam (I normally keep it disabled, but turned it on for this test)
    Screen Capture
    Clipboard

Mamutu popped up first catching System Protection, so I don't know how Zemana would do there.

Sound recorder was allowed. So, not bad given that I don't use any programs that require me to use my built-in microphone other than Rosetta Stone. So if someone wants to hear me practicing Welsh, more power to them.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.