Update: SpyShelter 3.0

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Attached Files:

2. guest

guest Guest

Seems to be good, similar to Zemana and x64 compatible
    spyshelter.com

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Non important notice: A-squared marks the host as possibly dangerous.

Has anybody tried it?

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@guest

Got to say, never heard of SpyShelter before now, so thanks :thumb:

From the various tests so far it looks like a very good App, and therefore a serious contender.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im gunna go ahead and say the sound logging protection is a bogus feature thats only ther for marketing, someone find me a relevant article about sound logging malware plz...

7. CloneRanger

@firzen771

Actually, it's for real.

http://www.spyshelter.com/description.html

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What about the "AntiKernelMode" logger feature? Is it able to stop kernel based loggers, and how is it able to do this? :rolleyes:

9. wildthing2000

wildthing2000 Registered Member

Yes is able, tested with Invisible keylogger stealth from amecisco and blocked well however I noticed that it blocks kernel logger without prompts anyway blocked

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's an anti-keylogger & not much else. A 1-trick pony that wants to run in real time at a price of over $40 USD.

NOOOO thanks!

There are LOTS of & less-expensive-but-effective anti-keylog choices IMO -- such as Sandboxie configured to stringently limit outbound connections, or a firewall configured to do the same, etc etc etc.

Besides, I am getting increasingly reluctant to add overly-specialized security apps that run in real-time. Concerning which, I recommend reading THIS interesting article.

You may disagree with me but -- everyone has a right to be wrong, I suppose (unless you're the pilot on an airplane that I am riding on). :cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Agree with you bellgamin. Great article. People are buying new pcs, then installing so much real-time software, it's slower than a much older system. And some people are worrying about all these threats, when they probably only ever surf on over to wilders! :p

12. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Bellgamin, with all due respect, I must say I disagree.

IMHO, anti-keylogger is the essential privacy tool on any PC. I emphasize: privacy tool, I didn't say security tool.

As I see it, security policy is one thing and it is meant to prevent system damage, while privacy policy focuses on protecting sensitive data from falling into wrong hands.

If your private data is logged and sent to a foe, all virtualization of this world will not save you.

Currently I have two dedicated anti-keyloggers plus two HIPS running in real time on my machine. I don't mind sacrificing some of the system resources in order to protect my ID, financial records or other private matter.

I hope you see my point.

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

funny - that article has neither nor any relationship to this topic.

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

umm, i said an article showing me relevent threats from sound recording malware, cuz i havent heard of this in anyway and i dont see any other products looking at this either, so my statement holds the same as before.

a marketing description the company gives to its own component isnt a good enough piece of evidence lol...

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Preventing loss/compromise of private information IS essential. But anti-keylogger is unnecessary. All you need to do to prevent compromise of private data is to closely control which apps are allowed to make outbound internet connections. If a keylogger should get installed & operational, it is a castrated bull if it is unable to connect out. Without an outbound connection, the keylogger is unable to do anything with its loot.

Sandboxie & just about any firewall can protect outbound connections, plus they do a LOT more. On the other hand, an anti-keylogger is a 1-trick pony. An exorbitant and unnecessary expense. A drag on computer effectiveness.

Yet another keylog-prevention option is to use an accessory app such as the keyscrambler extension for browsers.

Bottom line -- I repeat that there are other options for preventing keylogger damage -- equally or more effective, and less costly of money & system drag, than is the case for dedicated, 1-trick anti-keyloggers such as the one discussed by this thread.

The article deals with the heavy system drag imposed by security programs running in real-time. One of the reasons I object to using an anti-keylogger running real-time is that it is yet another unnecessary security drag on system resources. Thus, the article is connected to my comments about SpyShelter's causing system drag by running real-time for insufficient reasons.

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I do see the value in an anti-keylogger. But anti-keyloggers have shown they are like AVs, must keep up with new programs being released, as some will miss commercial keyloggers.

But if you have Online-Armor, Comodo, Malware Defender, installing an anti-keylogger may slow down your system for an event that may not come. How will it install in the first place? If you've given your pc to someone who might install a keylogger (partner etc), fair enough. But that's now something you'll have to address (eg. installing shadow defender, then giving pc to friend/partner would work).

But if you're the only one who uses your system, ways to get around it, as bellgamin said, use sandboxie etc while browsing and discard the sandbox.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bellgamin

I totally agree with you. I run Sandboxie, and Online Armor, and would consider a free stand alone anti Keylogger to expensive, no less paying for one.

How does a key logger work if it a) can't get on your machine, b) can't run once there, and c) can't send anything anywhere.

18. ratwing

ratwing Guest

It really seems a tightly configued sandboxie ( I know cliche!! cliche!!) plus KeyScrambler,is enough..
    As for hardware KeyLoggers, I would hope none could be installed,without my knowledge.

That said,I saw the added functionality of Zemana,as rising above the status of "one trick pony".
    The problem was,other conflicts led me to uninstall.

19. CloneRanger

@firzen771

Thay ARE for real, and have been for years ! Spyshelter even gave a link on the link i gave you, you must have missed it ?

s1.gif

http://www.scmagazineus.com/skype-snooping-trojan-detected/article/147537/

Trojan.Peskyspy Listening in on your Conversations http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/trojanpeskyspy-listening-your-conversations

Here's even more of them, just a sample.

GhostNet Organized Threat or Random Hack? http://network-securityblog.globalk...6/ghostnet-–-organized-threat-or-random-hack/

Chinabased ghostnets social malware attacks exposed http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/chinabased_ghostnets_social_malware_attacks_exposed

Backdoor Generic http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/backdoor.shtml

Voice Trojan http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=6594

What is Malware Capable of? https://ssd.eff.org/tech/malware

Comodo BOClean 4.27 Publisher's Description http://www.place77.com/comodo-boclean-36050.html

I think you'll find they are NOT just marketing claims, but REAL relevent threats which you asked for, and therefore i was quite in order in posting the initial link/info for you. And Spyshelter quite within their rights to publish it etc.

20. guest

guest Guest

I cant tell the source but:

21. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Oh... ouch... :ouch:

Was that because they couldn't implement all the different protection mechanics otherwise, just like DW?

22. guest

guest Guest

It's one of their competitors and is a conversation by email, dont seem to me very polite say the source, maybe wasnt polite either publish this info here.
    I dont understand very well your question.

23. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I just mean that DefenseWall won't be available for 64-bit anytime soon, if at all, because PatchGuard is blocking it from being implemented properly without vulnerabilities. Is it the same case with SpyShelter, making them have to break through PG with full force in order to make their software function as they wish it should do?

24. guest

guest Guest

Yes is the same case than DW, but seems that SpyShelter dont want to "pay" for the SDK of PG so they found the way to crack PG.

Anybody knows what have to happend in order to get these SDK from microsoft in order to make it work in x64? It is just money or something else, like reputation or...?

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

A good scare mongering post. First of all it's not yet detected in the wild. 2nd the posters of your links all say stay current with security software. I saw nothing that I think could bypass sandboxie and a good HIPS.

Also the indication was it would take "social engineering" for it to get on your system. And there in lies the beauty of the sandboxie HIPS approach. IF even if you click by mistake you have plenty of warning.

There is nothing there that would make me feel SpyShelter a worthy addition to my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.