SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE THINK IT'S MALWARE

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by frannysattic, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frannysattic

frannysattic Registered Member

I am not the most literate on the computer but this one really has me stumped and I do not know what to do. Over the weekend my son made a "MySpace" page for me. I am new to this so I thought I would see what he had done. I saw emaild from all of these people asking to be my friend. I clicked on one of them and up came the "New Malware J Virus" through my McAfeee software. I tried to clean it, and I couldn't. the msg said to make sure the file wasn't read only. Then I tried to delete it too and could not that either. I lastly tried to quantine and that failed as well. So, I continued what I was doing. Then all he** broke loose. My computer had all kinds of pop-ups come up and then it froze. When I restarted my system, there was the dreaded yellow triange with the explanation mark. The box around it though was grey and had no words it in. I tried to click on the Program Error and then my whole computer froze again. I then ran Brave Sentry just to see what was going on and it told me that I had a "Wild Trojan Dropper that infects all .exe files and the level was "sever". Then I got another window that said smss.exe was potential virus. No, I can go in to safe mode but I can't open up anything and have no way to click on any of my software programs because they are all .exe. I am running Windows 2000 and cannot figure out what to do to fix this mess. I don't want o reload the op because I don't want to lose everything I have but at thsi point it may be my only hope. Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who has gotten themselves in to a real mess!?!?!? Thanks! Oh and I am writing this at work so no one has to be worried that this email is infected. My email address here is francine.schmidt [at] citigroup.com

Thank you so much for anyone who can guide me in some kind of direction!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Re: SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE THINK IT'S AMLWARE

not to worry lots of folks here to help. for the moment you can try repeatedly tapping the F8 key while your machine boots. when you see a list of choices select Last Known Good Configuration and see if that fixes anything.

Secondly if at work and you are able to download a trial version of avast antivirus from avast.com save it on a usb removable device. when you boot into the computer use steps above and boot into safe mode. then install the program from your usb device - during setup it will ask if you want to run a boot time scan select yes and when finished installing select start shutdown and restart. when your machine restarts you will see the boot time scanner go to work. when it finds the infections it will give you the option of either deleting the files or quarantine etc.

Hope these suggestions help!

3. frannysattic

frannysattic Registered Member

Thank you so much for the ideas! I will try them tonight when I get home from work and see if this is successful! I will let you know results!

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi frannysattic, I've moved your thread from the "other anti-malware program" forum over into this one since we're dealing with a malware infection.

You mentioned that you ran the Brave Sentry program? Brave Sentry is a nasty rogue anti-spyware app that will hijack your desktop. It is also listed on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products list:
    You can find more information on it here and here.

I would suggest that you choose one of the malware cleaning forums listed in the last paragraph in this Announcement, and post a hijackthis log at one of those forums for analysis. You want to ensure all traces of Brave Sentry are removed including any other infection that might have installed along with it.

Whichever forum you decide to go to, please follow their posting instructions before posting your HJT log.

Please let us know how it works out. :)

Regards,

snap

5. TheDesigner

TheDesigner Registered Member

Hello, It looks like I'm having almost exactly the same problem as that guy. I've done everything I can think of and followed a few of the same steps. I have that BraveSentry too, and to tell you the truth I'm not sure where I got it. It talks about the Wild Trojan Dropper and some Complexel Trojan. I realize it's it a rogue but I figured it may be right. I can't even get mine to boot up now. It sticks at the blue "Windows is Starting Up..." Screen. I've tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Boot Logging, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Repair, VGA Mode, and everything else on the list. Please let me know if you can help me get it booted up.

BTW, I would try the avast.com thing but since it won't boot up it's sort of obsolute.

-Rafe Wilmoth

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

@TheDesigner

The three suggestions i would give if you cant boot up windows at all but it freezes at the windows screen (meaning it is still likely there on your hard drive. Just something is corrupted preventing it to fully load).

Is firstly use your windows install CD and do a repair installation. This neither wipes nor adds nothing to your hard drive but simply tries to repair your windows.

If this doesnt work. Try using either a boot floppy disk or again your windows installation CD and go to dos and type

fixmbr

Or finally downaload from another computer a linux live CD and use linux's free F-prot antivirus to scan your hard drive for viruses preventing your windows to boot.

Hopefully these should fix your problems.

But i guess some others may come along with some other suggestions to do too.

7. TheDesigner

TheDesigner Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try them out when I get home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.