Secured email services -Free and Paid..

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bryanjoe, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

Hi all,

Need your recommendations on any secured email services , can be paid or free?

for the reason is that i may be terminating my ISP email soon.
    And i use this existing email for many official correspondences. I also set this email for banking notifications, ebay, paypal, etc... i use a separate free email for signing up forums etc..

So i would your inputs on this as i worried about the privacy of these emails i received..

thanks for reading...

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try GPG or Comodo SecureEmail.

3. bryanjoe

thanks for the recommendation

4. bryanjoe

anymore?
    please recommend.....

not intend to use gmail or yahoo for purpose e.g. banking, monthly statements etc...

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Try CryptoHeaven (3 month trial)

What sets it apart is that "non-encrypted" email is automatically "encrypted" with your key when it hits the CH servers.

http://www.cryptoheaven.com/

6. bryanjoe

thanks for the recommendations..

for the "non-encrypted" email is automatically "encrypted" , if i am not wrong, the receiver has to be invited into it first...

and the pricing abit high... but provided with 5 email addresses... http://www.cryptoheaven.com/ch/signup.jsp?UserID=&account=1

but i would say the client is very cool and neat...

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. bryanjoe

i am more concern with the privacy as i will be using it for my banking transactions, billings notifications, etc...

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

That's why i recommended CH ;) because what you ask is not easy!

Most email may be encrypted in transit but once it hit's your inbox, it lies there in "plain text" :eek:

If your bank is up for it, you could setup "Thunderbird, GPG4Win and Enigmail" and provide them with your encryption key. If not, CryptoHeaven is as close as you can get to communicating securely via email even with "non-secure" practicing parties.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

I was looking for the same thing last month. I use Gmail now and decided to stay with them. If you have a smartphone you can download the (google authenticator) and you will need to login once a month using it. I logout daily but that's my preference.
    If you are looking though I was considering GoDaddy.com .

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

While that may add some additional security, it does "nothing" privacy wise!

11. bryanjoe

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

CH Support is excellent and received the following response to your questions:

No - you will still receive the email.

Yes, not cheap. However, if you take the opening package and pay for a full year ($66.00) that's only $5.50/month which isn't bad.

what's really cool is you can install it in "portable mode" - meaning it will create it's own "Java installation" in it's folder even if you don't have/want java installed on your computer;) Good for use on a usb drive.

13. jimmy011211

jimmy011211 Registered Member

For free, encrypted webmail, I use Hushmail. The storage for a free account is very limited (2MB), but there are some paid upgrades you can take advantage of. One of the neat features I found on Hushmail is that they can encrypt your outgoing mail with a simple "question and answer" feature, so that even if the recipient doesn't have or know how to use encryption, he/she can still receive your encrypted message by simply answering a question that you provided.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Actually, the free version of "Anon-Mail" (re-branded hushmail) is better because you get unlimited aliases which is only available in the paid version of Hushmail. However, the OP's bank doesn't appear to have encryption in place so using Hushmail will do little for him "privacywise". What he needs is an "encrypted inbox" and there are few email services that provide that!

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Why don't you spend next time 5 mins on the forum and you'll see I made a post over this ages ago and you could of looked in there and bumped up that old post and continue it for everyone's benefit...

And I really could careless who made the post, but next time spend some time reading through the forum...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286828

16. bryanjoe

mmmm.....

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I know alot of people love their Gmail and prefer webmail over email client use so thought i'd share this service i just stumbled on that encrypts your email right in the gmail web interface via a "pre-shared" password.

It did work but not sure how secure the service is pertaining to the possibility of "sniffing" the passphrase o_O

Any thoughts?

PointMX - https://www.completelyprivatefiles.com/services/smx/

18. bryanjoe

sir any updates on the above? secured?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.