Best Online Privacy Email Services & How To Use PGP

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well the title says it, anyone know any good online encrypted email services or a nice method for using your own client?

These I've found: (Didn't mention Hush with it's past problems of handing over data).

4SecureMail
    http://www.4securemail.com/

Countermail
    https://countermail.com/

Freenigma (Firefox addon)
    http://www.freenigma.com/index.html

Lockbin
    https://lockbin.com/

Mutemail
    http://www.mutemail.com/

Safe-mail (Thinking maybe to use this instead of Hushmail)
    http://www.safe-mail.net/

Now I'm sure that if you really want to have the best privacy and security then it's best to use your own email client and use like GnuPG, but when you're out on the road or need a lot of email accounts, this is where I see having a nice webmail account handy.

So besides listing any encrypted email services you may know, if anyone knows of any nice simple methods for using PGP on a client, like as an example Enigmail for Thunderbird, or any client or app you might know to use with a client to make it nice and simple, please share...

I found this online for clients;

Reading OpenPGP E-mail
    https://help.launchpad.net/ReadingOpenPgpMail

THANKS

2. nix

nix Registered Member

Well, I'm going to say those all have possibilities. But you know, at the end of the day, I'm probably still going to use the Hushmail addy with the Java enabled, because, honestly, if it was good enough for Thomas Drake, it works for me.:D

I mean he's NSA IT turncoat. I can't think of a better endorsement. Hushmail should put it on the log-in page.

Cryptoheaven looks about the same.

I say, let's pick one already, and start writing;)

Oh, just kidding.:-*

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Countermail has been discussed here and they are in Panama if I remember correctly. Same place as Cryptohippie and Xerobank.

4. nix

nix Registered Member

I love the look of Countermail, Caspian. Servers in Sweden, I think.

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well...

'Thomas Drake: Former NSA Executive Charged As Whistleblower'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/15/thomas-drake-former-nsa-e_n_539217.html

LOL, was that Hushmail?

Countermail now that looks like the real deal to bad there is no free accounts... :(

So why should Drake be a good endorsement here, or was that a joke?

No one knows much about Safe-mail? From what I remember they are in Israel...

6. nix

nix Registered Member

Well, it wasn't the Hushmail that did Drake in ;)

7. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

My problem is some what different. my friends are getting e-mail that shows it is from me, but it is not. I had one of them sent to me and I did not know all the ones that received the e-mail. I sent a copy to Yahoo and did not get any reply at all from them. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop this, some of those e-mails are a bit weird if you know what I mean.

Twodogs44 thanks for taking the time to read this.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

POP3 email or web based? Do you know how to read headers? Could be a spammer got you and it's doing this...

9. caspian

Ooops. I have them confused with some else. I wonder who? It was a service that was discussed here.

10. box750

box750 Registered Member

NeoMailBox claims to support OpenPGP encryption and digital signatures, with a choice of email hosting in the US or Switzerland. It also hides your IP in the headers.

I have not tried them myself.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Looks nice thanks, but I won't pay for a whole year of service, only a month at a time.

There's to much change in technology to want to be tied down to someone for a year.

By the way no one using Enigmail with Thunderbird?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yeah, with GPG4Win and love it :thumb: as i have it set so that after i close an email that was decrypted, it remains encrypted ;) Just wish my contacts did :oops: :mad:

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So no problems with Engimail?

14. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

Anonymous Speech?

15. caspian

That's it. Thanks for reminding me.

16. iezeghiel

iezeghiel Registered Member

Why not simply make yourself a Key pair (either with GPG or the Key Manager Firefox add-on) and just use those with your email client. They are both free and there are a lot of servers you can publish your public key on. No third party or any other service has to snoop in your comms.

17. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

I am not sure, but it was with both "Hotmail" and "Yahoo". I guess this makes thing worse yet.

18. iezeghiel

With Hotmail you can use Outlook connector and actually use the account directly from Outlook. Simplifying things, ... the certificates you'd be making with one of the tools I posted above would be Self-signed anyway ...
    With yahoo ... a different matter, as with most other webmail services which don't allow an email client integration.

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I forgot if you use an email client then the person on the other end is going to have to be able to receive and decrypt.

I think for now what I was looking more for was that I can encrypt and if I want to sent a private email from my end if the person doesn't have the ability like with Hushmail they type in a captcha and they can read...

So at least in route I guess everything is safe and private.

This is what I was more concerned with...

What ya think? o_O

20. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You can do this with CryptoHeaven - send secure mail to non secure practicing users that is encrypted (simply following a link) or encrypted with a question/answer or password which must be entered after following the link. And any "non-secure" email you receive is automatically encrypted with your public key (AES 256) when hitting the CH server.

SafeMail uses "certificates" not key pairs but has this option via their "SafeBox"

Comodo Secure Email (also certificates) can do this with the use of a "one time use certificate".

TrulyMail can send via an "encrypted package" if the recipient is not a TrulyMail user.

21. iezeghiel

Comodo would be the first I'd suggest too .... IF the Certificate they issue didn't have just a 1 year life :(.

22. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I think for now I might just sign up and use Safe-mail http://safe-mail.net/

Sheesh it has to be better then Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc...

THANKS

23. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

If you're looking for a free web-email provider I would choose Cyber-rights.net instead of Safe-mail, some reasons:

-Safe-mail have no real end-to-end security, password is sent in plaintext (inside HTTPS) to their server
    -Your IP-address is included in every email
    -The Israeli government may have some backdoor:
    http://infosecurity.ch/20100129/licensed-by-israel-ministry-of-defense-how-things-really-works/

Cyber-rights.net is not exactly the same as Hushmail, they have another login page where the stronger Java version is used as default.

When we created CounterMail we did a lot of research on other providers, and many of them have some weaknesses, but I think Safe-mail.net surprised me the most...

24. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Looks and smells like hushmail to me :cautious: And all the dates on that site are from 2004 :rolleyes:

25. nix

nix Registered Member

Oh, come now.
    You guys are so hard on Hushmail. :p But it's better than nothing, right? Besides, are you talking about both the sender and recipient using the same service? I mean, to a certain extent, email correspondence is only as secure as least secure user anyway. If your recipients use encryption and you want to talk to them enough, you'll use whatever they want. But if they don't use encryption, and they want to, you'll want to make it easy as possible. Which means that Hushmail and Countermail both look good. Unless someone's worried about NSA. But if that's the case, they probably already have a keylogger on their machine anyway, so...oops;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.