SecureAPlus Freemium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sinlam, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

#2151 + #2152 = :( @Krusty

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm installing the trial, after imaging my machine of course.

3. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the freemium you also get their excellent Ai engine APEX, currently only scanning exe files.
    And yes, it is real-time protection :thumb:

/E

4. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi all

SecureAPlus 6.7.0 is out now

We’re pleased to present SecureAPlus 6.7.0.

With best Regards
    Mops21

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Mops21 -- Got it! Thanks for the information.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

7. bellgamin

SA+'s 7z.dll is used simply for packing/unpacking a user-info whitelist & has nothing whatsoever to do with the functioning of the SA+ program itself. 7zip is NOT a dependency of secureaplus.exe, as your post seems to allege.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was just looking at the SecureAPlus User Manual and they have added a lot of functionality since I last used SAP a few years ago. It appears they have added a Restricted Apps feature which is separate from the command line monitoring feature. Is the Restricted Apps feature separate from the Command Line monitoring feature in SAP? If it is then this is something I would have liked to have seen NoVirusThanks add to ERP, but it was only wishful thinking on my part.

If the Restricted Apps feature in SAP is separate from the Command Line Monitoring then what restrictions does it enforce on vulnerable applications? The description in the manual sounds as though it only monitors child processes of vulnerable applications and prevents them from automatically being trusted. Does it by any chance also prevent vulnerable/restricted applications from writing to the System Space and the startup folders in the User-Space and ProgramData Folders?

NoVirusThanks abandoned ERP and it's a shame since it only had a few bugs that needed fixed. I was considering switching to SAP if the performance impact is not too great and they are open to the idea of working with experts and beta testers on getting the most out of the Restricted Apps feature and possibly improving some of the other features. The only other thing that would prevent me from using SAP is if it's too buggy. Pretty much all software contains bugs but stable releases should only contain a reasonable amount of bugs and bugs that threaten security or stability should be addressed promptly. Do SAP stable releases tend to only contain minor bugs or is it the luck of the drawl?

Edited:
    Opps, I forgot to ask, does SAP also monitor .dll files? The last time I used SAP it only monitored .exe files.

9. bellgamin

@Cutting_Edgetech -- Great questions but way above my pay grade. I urge you to post them on SA+'s support forum over THERE. Please do post them -- I would love to see their answers. By the way, SA+'s forum moderators are often slow to reply, but they always do so.... eventually.

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Doesn't SA+ scan inside archives?

11. moredhelfinland

moredhelfinland Registered Member

Tried the 90 day trial version of SAP Pro, quite liked it so i bought essentials license. Tweaked it for my own liking (enable name and thumbprint in trusted certificates list) and i also added .dll extension to inclusion list for more safety.
    SAP is a whitelisting software with some additional features, like:
    - APEX A.I engine against .exe files
    - If APEX thinks the file is safe -> do a name and thumbprint certificate check when running the executable file
    - Good protection for powershell etc script based malwares
    - Universal AV (Pro version does include AVIRA offline engine)
    - Tech-savvys can add own script etc based rules, so you can tweak it a lot
    - Compatible with most of the third party AVs because you can register it OR not it to Windows Security Center
    - Does not slow down your computer (when building a whitelist it will take a time, depends on your conf. Remember to put whitelist scan in fast mode!!)

12. bellgamin

SA+ is NOT an anti-virus scanner. Instead, SA+ is an anti-execute/whitelist/certificate-checker app. As such, SA+ itself is designed to deal primarily with executable files & command lines. Archives cannot execute.

Accordingly, for AV-type scans, SA+ uploads files to 10 external in-the-cloud AV scanners such as Avast, F-Secure, & McAfee.

This is similar to the way that VoodooShield functioned until recently. To wit, VS is an anti-execute/whitelist/certificate-checker app that used VirusTotal to initiate external AV-type scans.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Ah thank you for explaining. I saw SA+ also has it's own offline scanner, but that only scans executables.

14. bellgamin

Yes, the offline scanner is named Apex. It is reportedly AI/behavior-based.

IMO, Apex can often be too aggressive -- many false positives. Fortunately, SA+ provides a "More Info" button on its alerts. That button will reveal what the 10 in-the-cloud AVs reported. It also allows uploading the file for online scan by VirusTotal. So there is no need for even the newest user to make an uninformed decision when confronted by an SA+ alert.

If the great majority of SA+'s 10 AVs say a file is okay, then it's 99.9% likely to be REALLY okay, despite what Apex says. However, if a user wants to be more certain, the "safest" thing to do is tell SA+ to put the file into SA+'s Quarantine. Then the user can further check the file at his or her leisure -- e.g., do further online research &/or scan it with an on-demand AV scanner. My personal favorite on-demand AV scanner is Emsisoft's Free Scanner -- it works great WITHOUT having to be installed. If user's further research says the file is okay, simply hit Quarantine's "Restore" button & the file is back in business.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Yeah I usually use Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Malwarebytes for on-demand scans.

16. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi all

SecureAPlus 6.7.1 is out now

With best Regards
    Mops21

17. Oldie1950

Oldie1950 Registered Member

18. GrDukeMalden

GrDukeMalden Registered Member

6.7.0 is still being downloaded from the website.

19. Oldie1950

Oldie1950 Registered Member

20. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

21. GrDukeMalden

Well thankfully S.A.P. didn't cause any problems on my system.
    I'm running 64 bit windows 11 now, home edition.

22. GrDukeMalden

Voodooshield also has a machine learning AI and a whitelist database. And it allows you to check everything that gets blocked on virustotal.

23. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I didn't have any issues either, but at least they fixed it for others that did.

24. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

25. bellgamin

Hey Mops, maybe you should start a new thread titled CatchPulse. This Secure APlus thread is old, out-dated by its "Freemium" title, and needs a new face.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.