Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source) (VERSION 5.33.6 ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by bo elam, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Still using 5.33.6 and making up my mind whether to move to the new versions and if so which one. Sometimes I feel it might be easier to just rely on the native browser sandboxes especially I am not doing malware testing or similar. I do like the fact that I can run my pdf sandboxed and use different sandboxes for different browsers with clearing out everything at the end of the session.
    Anyway, I was able to create the workarounds to prevent chrome from crashing since they changed something a few months ago and have been surfing this way since. However since yesterday one site keeps crashing any sandbox and I wonder what is special about this site: https://www.tradingview.com/chart/TCkZx9AN/

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

> related 'tradingview.com'
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-sbie-fork.427755/page-33#post-2967501
    > related Chrome crashing - #198
    https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/198

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

interesting, so it's not just me though I don't see any outcome or solution

4. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

5.44.1 Classic is pretty solid on my system - the website you mention does not cause the sandbox to crash

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

What browser are you using?
    If it's an up to date Chrome/Chromium based browser the site crashes for me. It loads for a few seconds then crashes.

6. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Sorry, yes it crashes Edge for me. I used Firefox without thinking.

7. Novicesandboxieuser

Novicesandboxieuser Registered Member

I am a novice user of sandboxie and I need some advice please. I am running Windows 7 with an older version of Slimjet running in sandboxie version 5.18. Some websites no longer load properly or open at all now (and some say 'this site provided invalid certificate transparency information'). I have updated slimjet to the latest version but this causes Sandboxie 5.18 to Immediately crash when I run it (so i had to revert back to the older version of slimjet.)

My question is - which new version of sandboxie do I need to download to run the latest version of slimjet flawlessly inside it?

I notice there is -

1. Softpedia website version. (v5.33.3)
    2. Sophos last supported version. (with EULA form to fill in) (?)
    3. Sandboxie classic? install. (open source) (v5.45.0)
    4. Sandboxie Plus. (open source) (v0.5.0)

Can you recommend me an exact version I should use, and show me a download link for it please (I want to ensure that I download a version that works flawlessly, and that the download is definitely malware free, as I dont want to risk damaging my computer).

Does sandboxie modify a driver or something when you install a newer version? Does this still work flawlessly in the newer open source versions.

Also when installing a newer version of sandboxie (as long as you still have an installer file of the older version) can you then uninstall it completely and then revert to the previous version again?

I gather that slimjet (and antivirus vendors) will stop supporting Windows 7 in a year or two, so I will have to migrate to Windows 10. I have been used to the incredible protection offered by sandboxie for the last 10 or so years, that I find moving to a windows 10 computer daunting. When I get a windows 10 computer would using only 'windows defender' built into windows (or installing a 3rd party antivirus e.g. Avira Antivirus free) and using slimjet or edge current version and using careful internet browsing protect me fully against malware, or would I still need to use an open source version of sandboxie to be safe (and keep it upto date)?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You have 2 choices, number one is to download and install version 5.33.6, and change the target path in the shortcut that you are using for running Slimjet sandboxed. Your choice number 2 is to download and install latest version of Sandboxie by David Xanatos.

1. Use this link to download version 5.33.6.

https://community.sophos.com/sandbo...ndboxie-5-33-6-release-and-open-source-update

For instructions with regard to changing the target path of the shortcut you are using to run Slimjet, read in this thread, from post 482 to 507. Start here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...-sbie-open-source.428156/page-20#post-2954919

If you are wondering why the change in the target path is needed, this is because this issue is caused by an update to the browser (chromium based browsers), and the workaround is to change the target path.

2. Your second solution is to upgrade to David's open source version. Latest is 5.45.0. With this version you wont have to change the target path. I suggest you read the thread in its entirety. Link to installer can be found in the first post.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...sbie-fork-versions-with-signed-driver.434924/

Bo

9. bo elam

I wouldn't trade Sandboxie for nothing. Last time I had an infection was before I discovered SBIE (late 2008. For me personally, that alone is reason enough to never stop using SBIE, and use it as long as it is possible to use it. So, I recommend you keep using it in W10. Moving to W10 is no reason to stop using SBIE.

So you know, Sandboxie works great in W10. I bought my W10 in July 2017, and never had any major issue. Perhaps small issues but never anything major. Dont be afraid of W10, or Sandboxie in W10. No reason for that. FWIW, basically I use SBIE in W10 as I do in W7 or did in XP. The only difference is that you cant run Metro apps/Universal apps/Store apps under SBIE. They are not compatible. But other than that, the rest is the same. I stay away from apps, so to me personally, this doesn't make any difference. I treat the Store as it didn't exist.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  10. Novicesandboxieuser

Hi, I think I would like to use the 5.45.0 open source version please.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...sbie-fork-versions-with-signed-driver.434924/

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/

scroll down to assets (10)

SandboxieInstall32-v5.45.0.for.windows.7.exe

Is this correct for me to download it?

(it will just install like the older versions will it? and ask to modify a driver?)

Will there be any messages come up about running or installing it (e.g. windows UAC, or certificates) and will my antivirus flag it up thinking it is malware and I have to click accept, or wont that happen?)

Will the latest version of slimjet (based on chrome I believe) work perfectly in sandboxie v5.45.0? (Im okay using a slimjet version that is one or two versions old if it is the only way to get it to work, and provide perfect usability?) I really like using slimjet. (I cant use firefox as an alternative browser as it uses alot of cpu on my computer and cant work out why.)

I might wait now until there is a new windows 7 version with a working driver (a solution is being worked on. windows 7 installers include the old provisionally signed driver for the time being.)

I can see that it would be a good idea to still run sandboxie on windows 10. But I had heard that windows 10 is very secure and I was hoping it would be possible to just use edge or slimjet on it and then use windows defender (or a 3rd party antivirus e.g. Avira free on its own) is windows defender the best free antivirus on windows 10 or are there better free antivirus for it? Is the sandboxing built into current web browsers as good as sandboxie would you say, or does sandboxie provide a second level of protection?

I find it interesting that with windows 10 and its newer version numbers and windows update (and windows defender or a 3rd party antivirus, and sandboxed browsers, that you are still saying to rely on sandboxie for extra protection. Sandboxie shouldnt be needed now at all should it.

Sorry my posts are long.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  11. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

12. bo elam

For me personally, Sandboxie is the sole protection I use. Other than Sandboxie, the only other program I use that can be said that protects the computer is NoScript. You mentioned levels. In my case, you could say that when I am browsing, NoScript blocks, and Sandboxie is a safety net that never gets used. And for the rest of programs and files that run in my computers, Sandboxie is it. Nothing else gets involved in the security.
    I am not suggesting you use SBIE or use it like I do. Remember, you came here and ask questions. I am just answering some of them based on my experience and what I know.

Windows defender is better than it used to be. You want to use it with or without SBIE, thats your choice. Me, I disable everything in WD. Nothing from WD runs in my W10. Not even Smart screen. I am not suggesting you do that, but thats what I do, and it works fine for me. I stopped using real time AV in 2010, and quit all scanners in 2011. Doing that is not for everyone but doing it has worked great for me. I never planned it doing it, it just happen one day on its own, it fell into place naturally and it felt that it was the right thing to do. Without Sandboxie, I would have never done that as I would have not being able to. Everyone, you included, should find on their own what's best for them with regards to security.

Bo

13. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

@Novicesandboxieuser Every now and then all browsers got actively exploited zero days (or sandbox escapes) and I just prefer to have sandboxie (with restrictions for what is allowed) as a safety net for that. I still run AV and SRP but as my first line of defence I like it.
    You chose what makes you happy :)

14. Novicesandboxieuser

So windows 10 and the browsers used on it are not always secure. It makes sense to still use sandboxie in that case.

I will keep an eye on the current and future versions of sandboxie on the github webpage from now on.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice.

Okay if I need further help with it I will post in that thread from now on. Thanks.

15. mrxarx

mrxarx Registered Member

Foxit PDF Reader 10.1 crashes from within Sandboxie 5.33.3. with the error

SBIE2101 Object name not found: , error OpenProcess (C0000022) access=001FFFFF initialized=1

I think, this began crashing with new version of Foxit Readed, about a month ago. Recently, I also upgraded to Win10 20H2, but I think this was happenning even before. I have FoxitReader.exe in the process group <StartRunAccess>.

Is there an official open-source follow-up of Sanboxie that might have the issue resolved? Is it Sandboxie-plus (https://github.com/sandboxie-plus) or is there another fork?

16. mmlr

mmlr Registered Member

hi bo elam
    Is Tom still alive?
    Does this branch still have a future?
    Is there still hope?

17. Special

Special Registered Member

No, no, and no.

18. bo elam

I also experienced the crashes, after a recent Foxit update. I tried different things trying to workaround the constant crashes, but nothing worked. So, I did what I always do when some program doesn't work well with Sandboxie, I drop it and switch to something else. Switched to Sumatra. I liked Foxit and used it for a long long time but, if it doesn't work with SBIE, it has to go. I dont ponder about it, I just switch programs and forget about it.

Perhaps Foxit is working fine with Sandboxie Plus (David's open source fork), but I dont know. I am still using Version 5.33.6.

Bo

19. bo elam

He is probably alive. I think I would know if he had died. But the future of this fork looks bad, unfortunately. Tom is AWOL. I havent heard from him in a long time, and he has't answered my last 3 Emails (since about June, I think).

I think there's always hope, but I don't have anything good to say. I don't know what happened, in his last email, he told me he was gonna try to get Sophos to help him get thru Microsoft. He was having problems with the process of getting the approval, certifying the SBIE driver. He had the company, the cert, the new build, but, something happened, and I don't know what it is.

It's unfortunate because I want Sandboxie to be what it has always being, not reinvented or morphed into something else. And that's what this project was (or is) supposed to be. Sooner or later, I am going to reach Curt, and ask him what he knows, but I haven't done it. 5.33.6 still works great with W10 so from my pov, there's no rush for doing that.

Bo

20. plat

plat Registered Member

Too bad we can't sandbox ourselves from corona-virus.

Special, you're very blunt, but you know what? If he hasn't replied to you (bo elam) of all people, then it would be nothing short of a miracle if he is ever heard from again.

21. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Have been using Sumatra for quite a while now. Works well here.
    Totally agree. 5.33.6 still works well even with the all the FF and the Win. 10 updates. :thumb:

22. mrxarx

mrxarx Registered Member

The Foxit Reader is not the only program I've experienced problems in Sandboxie recently. I also tried ChromaCam, which is a sort of driver that adds an artificial background to camera images when used e.g. in Google Meet. You know, there is an add-on for Google Chrome that does the same thing, but for Firefox I haven't found anything but ChromaCam. Unforunately, ChromaCam doesn't work with FF from within Sandboxie. And not only that, FF than hangs on exit for about a minute, and then it crashes. Maybe some IPC setting in Sandboxie would solve it, but I don't know which one.

23. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

The only thing I can tell you that on windows 10 build 1909 ist still works for me with sandboxie 5.33.6
    For me it seems when you want to use the newer windows builds that are newer than 1909 you better switch to a newer sandboxie verision.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...ork-versions-with-signed-driver.434924/page-5 Untitled.jpg

24. mrxarx

mrxarx Registered Member

@Freki123 Foxit Reader by itself works. But it was crashing after opening any PDF document. Then I opened a document outside Sandboxie, and since then the problem disappeared. I expect that FoxitReader wanted to update something or what. But when it succeeded outside the sandbox, it hasn't tried again since then.

25. bo elam

Unticking this 3 Firefox settings in Options>Privacy & Security might solve your problem with hangs and crashes on exit of sandboxed Firefox.

Sin título.jpg
    Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.