Released Sandboxie Plus (Sbie fork) Versions with Signed Driver

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 7, 2020.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I know and a fix is already in the making,

I'll package tomorrow a new Plus only release with some fixes or the new UI

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

just saw this thread. i don't use sbie but congrats @DavidXanatos :thumb:

3. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

David, perhaps it could be useful (for yourself and for us too) to make a poll about this issue (similarily as you made it for the question "Do you use/require Sandboxie to work on Windows XP?").

Personally I would prefer to stay with SB classic. But if such users are a minority and - even more important - if the work would be easier for you if you only had to take care of SB plus (as I conclude from your statement "I would like [to remove the classic version]") I assume it would be no big problem for me to learn to use SB plus. (And it should be no big problem for others too, I think.)

Finally it should be your own decision if you would like to continue with SB classic too - without being influenced in this decision too much by the preferences of "conservative" users (like me ;) ).

And if the change to SB plus is desirable from your point of view (and obviously it is), to my mind it is better to announce and to take the appropriate measures for a clear cut as soon as possible (e.g. by saying and deciding that development of SB classic will stop within the next month or whatever). To continue now the "double work" (on classic and plus) and to find out in perhaps a half year that classic cannot be longer developed (e.g. because of a technical problem or simply because of lack of time from your side) is neither useful for you nor it would be for "conservative" users who will have get accustomed to the fact that you have provided/spoiled them with the classical version.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. Survivor

Survivor Registered Member

What line would it be, I checked the general and user settings but nothing points to sorting?

Yes, I meant the prompt, is this some sys default or so? No worries, just wondered.
    But could make it to remember by program or sandbox. Maybe a check box in the File Recovery to switch it off complete. Enable check/ disable unchecked. The original 'SBIE constantly annoyed me, by switching from my game to the recovery anytime it thought something was worth keeping. However for my usecase I do not want recovery, in my Docker errr SBIE container. :cool:

Classic and Plus GUI
    To be honest I do not get the whole discussion about new or old gui. If you don't want to use the new options, don't use it, but what is the issue to have more info in the page, like the different icons, depending on how safe the box is. In general you can use it the same way as the old one, as all option are in. Maybe the right click menu has too many options. I can see that. Same for the settings.
    Would it help to have some setting like Basic mode, Advanced and/or Expert mode. Depending on that options in config and context menu vary from the original version, to the other two levels. Compare like in Kodi for example. You switch between and get more or less options. Besides those things I see not difference anymore as I would also think the two GUIs are on par, with Plus having more options.
    Maybe this is a compromise. And as I wrote before too, I think in 2020, we should not talk about 20MB more or less. While it doesn't mean programs shouldn't be optimized.
    What do you think?

5. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I have Plus installed ...but, run SbieCtrl. I've not spent much time with SandMan to comment re tree? nor Advance vs Simple view?
    Do you mean?
    png_8233.png
    My post here #97 was to demonstrate for @deugniet that it is poissible to choose between Plus & Classic UI.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  6. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

That UI looks nice David.

7. deugniet

This UI is what I am looking for. Similar to Davids one (post #95).

8. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Well you see the thing is.... development of SB classic pretty much stopped right from the get go, for the most part I'm only working on the core components and the new UI. So providing the classical installer does not cut into my time budget.
    I also don't see a scenario where a change to the core components would break sbiectrl.exe in a way that couldn't be fixed with one or two lines of code.

Perhaps the biggest issue is that users that stick to the classic build will miss out on many new convenient features.

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

I think you feel comfortable with it, but at least it's a closed source and parts of its code seems shady. I remember similar for NSIS and it's libraries, but that is ages ago and all antivirus have improved not to detect them as malware. (InetLoad, registry, dcryptdll, ExecDos, nsExec, SimpleSC, services and more)

I don't use that build, so I don't know how it works. At least I would create the file as a possible user-extractable archive so antivirus are able to scan inside and to point out the culprit inside while currently you can see that there are issues.

As others asked for a separated file for win7 and Windows 8/10. OFC it raises work but I think it's worth.

10. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I'm putting a Inno setup installer together right now, but the down side is that you will loose the extract option that was intended for making portable installs.

So unless someone tells me how to get Inno setup to do a Extract without install to get a portable version you will need to install it and than copy the program folder.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

12. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

This build resolves many issues with the last plus release, as well as updates many components.
    It is now being compiled with Visual Studio 2019 using Qt 5.15.1.
    Also the installer has been changed to use Inno Setup 6.
    Therefore it is necessary to manually uninstall the previous build and clean install the new release.

For windows 7 users the provisional driver is now distributed separately, during install the setup will prompt to provide the required driver file which is to be downloaded and unpacked manually.

Download: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v0.5.1

Changelog
    Added
    • Added simple view mode
    Changed
    • Updated SandMan UI to use Qt5.15.1
    Fixed
    • fixed crash issue with progress dialog
    • fixed progress dialog cancel button not wokong for update checker
    • fixed issue around NtQueryDirectoryFile when deleting sandbox content
    • fixed dark theme in the notification window
    • fixed issue with disable force pograms tray menu

13. deugniet

Had to restart my laptop after installing 0.5.1 (over 0.5.0): my sandboxes were gone. After the restart my sandboxes are back. No more Sandman-crashes after deleting a sandbox. Added simple view mode works. Thanks.

Win10 20H2 build 19042.685

14. Harper

Harper Registered Member

Hello;

I really thank the developer for his hard work.

I am a novice pc user. This is exactly the program I need, but I didn't know which one would be safer for me to use. The look of the plus version is very nice and like for power users. Can I learn your recommendations? And are there any settings you recommend?

Thanks.
    Regards.

15. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

That why I wrote not to install over but to do a clean install ;)

16. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

These are good news, I think. ;)

Nevertheless I try to become a little bit acquainted with the plus version too. So I would like to suggest the following small change:

When installing the plus version, one of the additional tasks I can choose is "Add Run Sandboxed":

ARSB.jpg

It is not really clear what is meant by this (especially as it appears already in the setup procedure).

Please could you express it in the same (or a similar) way as it appears later on in the Options? That means:

"Add 'Run Sandboxed' to the explorer context menu" (or at least: Add 'Run sandboxed' to the context menu)

---> The words Run Sandboxed within quotation marks and some addition like the text in bold letters.

Thank you.

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, I must of misunderstood.
    Thanks
    Edit: @deugniet
    Okay, I've now experienced Advanced View & Simple View with Plus 0.5.1.
    I'm now understanding Advanced vs Simple View.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  18. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Inno has not really an option for a portable mode, it does not wait by default. But if you intend to use inno as a file which contains some executable code you can create an extractable archive and put a link after extraction on the desktop to run the target.

Extracting each time is not affordable from my view, once and ok.

If you want to create a real and decent portable app anytime I recommend NSIS scripting. It has really power to do things inno never can do, or not that easily.

I write my own portables since ages, some of those need to extracted, this will guarantee a functional set of files. but those "archives" are small. The bigger ones are structured similar to portableapps.com - makes it easier to fix issues or fill in a newer build without the need of compilation of the whole package.

For sandboxie plus I would use it with a single starter, not sfx.

19. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

My goal is to have one exe file per architecture for the plus build that is good for portable and normal installation deadpanning on what the user chooses at the begin.

For me portable mode means extract to a foodler and take the folder with you, I don't see a point in the portable app being confined to one file.

Switching now to NSIS sounds like an other day of work :/

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Curious....why does SandMan retain "Terminated" shadow of closed browser.
    Why do I need to "Cleanup Processes" to clear "Terminated" processes?
    png_8245.png

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

@DavidXanatos
    btw ~ 0.5.1 Help > Check for Updates = New version 0.5.0
    png_8246.png
    and Yes calls my forced Chrome sandbox =
    png_8247.png
    I need to "Sign out" of Windows Admin user account to clear exception Breakpoint.
    Just me?
    I need to remember to 'Disable Forced Programs' before calling embedded Plus links.
    btw ~ Yes (with Disable Forced) lands on Release v0.5.1 page.
    FWIW ~ may be related >
    https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/184

22. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Because you checked the "snow flake" icon its supposed to mean freeze, and than it retains terminated processes.
    If you unselect it the terminated processes wil be retained only for 2 sec

23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Ahh....okay.
    Sorry, I had no idea what the "snow flake" did. Yes, I must of clicked the "snow flake" numerous times trying to figure out what the "snow flake" does.
    png_8249.png
    Why might user want to "Keep terminated" processes?
    Thanks

24. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

To understand what was started by what, if a process gets removed all its child processes will be moved to box root even though a grand parent process may still run.

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Wow!....who knew.
    Regards w Respect

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.