Sandboxie Crashes Extensions and Doesn't Work Anymore

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by Capricornia, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Capricornia

Capricornia Registered Member

Hello. I've been using Sandboxie for years with barely any problems. However, starting about a week ago, I observed how Sandboxie cause my extensions in Edge and Chrome to crash and then it just wouldn't work any longer for those broswers. Below are screen shots of what happens. Also, if anyone has any insights on what the problem might be, I would appreciate your input. edge.crash.jpg chrome.crash (2).jpg

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

3. Capricornia

Hi, bjm_. I have looked over that information along with other information from this site before I had posted my thread, however(if I understood the information correctly), I tried to download different versions of Sandboxie, but nothing helped it to start working on my computer again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Capricornia

Okay, I'm good now. In one of the links, someone said that they downloaded 5.43.5 64bit from Majorgeeks, so I went over there and downloaded that version and now it works again. :thumb: Thanks, bjm_.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Capricornia, you need to change the target path in your shortcut to the one written below, this target opens Edge in the DefaultBox:

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" msedge.exe --no-sandbox"

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...-sbie-open-source.428156/page-20#post-2954986

If you like to open Edge in a sandbox other than the DefaultBox, use this targert path instead:

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Edge msedge.exe --no-sandbox"

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...-sbie-open-source.428156/page-20#post-2954996

Check this post also:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...-sbie-open-source.428156/page-20#post-2955000

Sandboxie control>Configure>Windows shell integration, Click Add shortcuts, Select the sandbox in which you want Edge to run and click OK, in any of the Menus of the Sandboxie Start menu that opens up, select the shortcut for Edge and click it. After clicking the shortcut , the sandboxed shortcut for the browser will appear in the Desktop. Afterward, change the target to the one (above) that you would like to use.

Bo

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You posted while I was writing my post above. I am glad you are good now. But I ll leave my (summary) post for people using 5.33.6 that might experience the problem you described.

Bo

7. Mangaguy9

Mangaguy9 Registered Member

hello. new member here. created account specifically so I could reply to this topic. that is, the issue with SANDBOXIE crashing everytime ANY chrome-based browser is started within sandbox, i.e. CHROME, BRAVE, which are the two i've encountered the issue. I created a CHROME_DEBUG.LOG for anyone who may know what to review to see if the problem is logged in some form. I must add that in the log file, I sorta "redacted" some personal info with "XXXXX". hopefully I didn't delete any useful info. if so, I am willing to create another .log without any removals. I also included a screenshot of my version of sandboxie as well as the developers info, which I downloaded from Github. Thanks for any help. I will try the above mentioned resolution in the meantime. Not sure about the EDGE "Fix" because I use mostly CHROME and/or BRAVE. for clarification, my Sandboxie version is: 5.42.1 x64. Windows 10 Pro x64. All updates, etc. https://imgur.com/IhNQbxp
    HTML:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BQXKCxk-9ujwPcn_6UIz8w9s-ek4bUmP/view?usp=sharing

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

9. Interpirate

Interpirate Registered Member

If anyone's figured out how to fix this for windows 10, I could use some help. I have no idea what I'm looking for

10. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

11. Interpirate

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Try running the 5.43.6 installer again (it will install over the top of the 5.43.6 program you already have.) Then restart your machine.
    After the restart if it is still not working look in Services and make sure that the SbieSvc is listed as running. If it says stopped double-click on it and select start. Then reboot machine again.
    Let us know how you get on.
    I had to do something similar.

13. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Or try uninstalling everything using a free uninstaller program that hunts out orphan files and registry entries, eg IOBit Uninstaller (I know some don't like IOBit products but whatever suits), then reboot and reinstall. I've had to do this from time to time to get things to work. I use SB classic, but the principle should still hold.

You may still need to follow Bo's advice re Edge --no-sandbox

14. AMK

AMK Registered Member

How do you get to Services?

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you mean Windows Services (which you probably do) on Windows 10 just click the start flag bottom left of your screen once. Immediately type the word Services. (you don't need to enter it in a box as Windows does it all automagically)
    Then click on the result that comes up. It will say Services app.

16. Mangaguy9

Mangaguy9 Registered Member

@stapp

I apologize for the delay, but the installation of SB version 5.43.6 x64 did fix the chrome-based browser crashes. Thanks for the information.

P.S. Is it OK to delete the links to my chrome_debug.log and screenshot? I'm unsure if they were/are of any use. THX again!

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Good to hear you are sorted now.
    If you mean your info on google drive, if you want to delete it go for it :)

18. Interpirate

Sorry for the super late reply, but I installed the version you recommended and I'm still getting the same messages. Also SbieSvc isn't even coming up in services for me :/

19. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

If you are using a David's version post issues in this thread please:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-sbie-fork.427755/

In the last pages of the thread you will find other users having the same problem and possible solutions.

20. Sonoffar

Sonoffar Registered Member

I attempted to download Sandboxie from Major Geeks, using both of their download points. This Windows Defender pop up is what I got.: " Trojan:Win32/Masslogger!ml " Defender will not save the Sandboxie.exe file.
    Has anyone else had this issue when trying to download Sandboxie from MajorGeeks?

I have used Sandboxie for many years but it looks like it's no longer going to be a functioning program. At this point I cannot get it to function with Chrome, Brave, or Edge.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Please see here in the ongoing thread...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...sbie-fork-versions-with-signed-driver.434924/

Download can be gotten from here
    https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v0.5.0 (scroll down for the 5.45 build you need, and also read notes at top.)

22. Sonoffar

Sonoffar Registered Member

Thanks for the links and help "stapp".
    Good info on the Wilders security page, the attempted download from the github site was not good.
    I am trying for https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/download/v0.5.0/SandboxieInstall32-v5.45.0.exe.
    Unfortunately, I am getting the same results. Win 10 Defender will not download this file and reports it to be: "Trojan:Win32/Masslogger!ml "
    This is a Win 10/Home edition. This attempt was made using a Chrome browser. Both are up to date and functioning as they should.
    Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? or having the same issues.?

23. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

No problem here with downloading the same exe-file as you and also with a Win 10/Home Edition.
    The only difference: I do not use Chrome as browser but Firefox. But I cannot imagine that this has effects for the behaviour of the Windows Defender.

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  25. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Chrome and Firefox uses a safe-list by default, should be same/similar because both are from google ;) Defender has its own (features). I don't use safe-list because i use ublock with a variety of other blocking lists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.