Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Thank you for this info, I didn't know
    :-*
    Came

Ok :p:p:p:p:p

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, I see. I still always install software in the sandbox first, before deploying them on the real system. If they can't install or act funny, it's usually not a good sign. BTW, I've upgraded to the newest Sandboxie and Vivaldi versions, and now it takes almost 6 seconds to start up Vivaldi, not good at all. I tried to install an older version of Vivaldi, but it refuses to do so. Can you check if you also have this "way too long" start-up problem?

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yeah, not good sign and funny indicating that Sandboxie is NOT compatible with such software and vice versa.
    Does not mean it's badware malware funware, lol.

To test, I rather got for a VM and better yet, a spare real machine with circuits and all, lol.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You are not alone. You should send Barb your IP address via PM. Read the link below. If you are not a member of the Sandboxie forum, send the IP to me via PM and I ll make sure she gets it.
    https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24832#p130000

Bo

6. bo elam

Hi Rasheed, I tried installing Vivaldi in a sandbox, and it crashed. Tried a few times. Last time I tested Vivaldi, installing it sandboxed worked fine. So, I cant test it at this time. But sometimes, delays in opening or closing the sandbox is due to a security program scanning when sandboxed programs open or close. Check your real time security programs.

Regarding using Sandboxie for testing programs. Is a bad idea using Sandboxie for telling if a program is clean or not. If it doesn't act funny in the sandbox, it doesn't mean it wont do so outside the sandbox.

Bo

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

forum is back.

8. guest

guest Guest

+1

I dont use Sbie as a testing environment, not really suited for it in my opinion. I use it as a containment apps which is to me its original purpose.

9. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

OK, please overlook the noobishness, I require info, lol! Just for confirmation: Edge cannot be used w/Sandboxie, right? Which is fine; I use Internet Explorer, that's why I got it. Only using Mic. browsers currently due to extreme disk constraints--I could find Edge incompatibility documented over a year ago. Still currently? Thanks!

Edit: I'll assume Edge still does not accept Sandboxie. Always concerned about overdoing it with software but Sbie is so far working beautifully but it's still discovery mode, right? No conflicts with HitmanPro Alert release 6.04, although from an aesthetics standpoint, the yellow and green borders of both elevate Internet Explorer to a level of fugly I did not think was possible. :cautious:

sbie shot.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
  10. Rasheed187

OK thanks. To clarify, I have installed Vivaldi on the real system. And it doesn't happen with the older version, so I'm guessing something changed with the newest SBIE that needs to be fixed. It's not related to my real-time security tools, I don't use any scanning tools.

Yes exactly. I also don't use SBIE as a malware testing tool, but it does give some clues about how "deeply" apps want to install themselves. Also, a HIPS like SpyShelter can still monitor sandboxed apps, so I already know what to expect when running them on the real system.

11. Rasheed187

Yes correct, it's because Edge is using AppContainer for sandboxing if I'm correct. Also I suggest to keep making sure there are no problems with the SBIE and HMPA combo, because I know they sometimes don't play well together.

12. guest

guest Guest

You are correct, and since Appcontainer is running one Integrity Level deeper than untrusted, maximum level achieved by sandboxing apps, they can't sandbox Edge yet.

13. bo elam

Hi plat1098, Edge and Universal Apps are still incompatible with Sandboxie. Read here.
    https://www.sandboxie.com/KnownConflicts#Windows 10

Bo

14. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hey, thanks bo elam, Rasheed and guest! This is helpful. The potential conflict with HMP Alert was the main thing but this machine runs no betas.

:)

15. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Respect Sandboxie's betas in particular, they generally are working fine as a stable version and even better, they fix any compatibility broken by a Windows update or a program update. So I recommend using sbie's betas whenever you can.

16. guest

guest Guest

In case of, just add Sandboxie's processes to HMPA exclusions.

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I have a secondary machine that can run several betas simultaneously, a little brute she is, and I will try your recommendation there. Very good, thanks.

Thanks, @guest. :)

18. guest

guest Guest

You are welcome. :)

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I had the occasional HMP.A Local Privilege Mitigation (PrivGuard) detection using Firefox in Sandboxie beta. Will test if this solves the issue.

I have now excluded all Sbie .exes in HMP.A, but is that necessary, or just some i.e. SandboxieCrypto, SandboxieDcomLaunch, SandboxieRpcSs, SbieSvc?

20. guest

guest Guest

I add all of them (in case of), prefer lose 2mn to avoid issues :p

21. albsat

albsat Registered Member

I updated the free avast version to the latest one and now the firefox doesn't start. Is anyone experiencing the same thing ? Any help please?

22. bo elam

That has happened before with Avast. Compatibility gets broken by an update, and gets fixed later by another. You click to open Firefox, but Firefox doesn't pop up open, and you see processes running in Sandboxie control. I suggest you report the issue at the Avast forum. For now, yon can test disabling shields, or the web guard to pinpoint the issue.

Bo

23. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

@bo
    do you have a clue for me how to determine (in sandboxie) processes which causes error 1211 (free version, error 1303)?

a friend of mine is getting this when gambling, the games are running in sandboxie.
    when she followed the PID in taskmanager there was no process with that ID.

i know how to trace event-id 4688/4689 in windows pro but she has only win10 home.
    process monitor or process lasso are no options.
    i also offered my key for temporary use then i could investigate on sandbox content which process started up.

the point behind is that the games start in another box than defaultbox so it is not caused from the game(s), must be something from windows.
    windows and sandboxie are installed from scratch. that did not happend before she installed windows again.
    my only guess is the default browser link or explorer in sandboxie but i never saw this by accident here.

24. bo elam

Sandboxie message 1211 usually gets issued with other messages, perhaps this other messages can give a clue about the name of the process and the cause of the problem. I think message 1211 is supposed to name the process but it doesn't.
    https://www.sandboxie.com/SBIE1211

Message 1303 gets issued when attempting to run programs in more than one sandbox at a time when using the free version. I found this thread of someone using the free version that got both messages (1211/1303).
    https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23870&p=125562&hilit

I think your friend needs to get a license to be able to use Sandboxie as she wants to use it.

Bo

25. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Guess it's not Sandboxie.

Code:
    Mitigation   PrivGuard

Platform     10.0.15063/x64 v717 06_45
    PID          36784
    Application  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Description  Firefox 56

Sweep

Process Trace
    1  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe [36784]
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -contentproc --channel="35248.34.1976701417\370379634" -greomni "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\omni.ja" -appomni "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\omni.ja" -appdir "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
    2  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe [35248]
    3  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe [33560]
    4  C:\Windows\explorer.exe [9820]
    5  C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe [9164]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.