Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Looking good bj, all my programs in W10 are running just fine under 5.21.4 :cool:. I ll do the update in W7 tomorrow.

Sin título.jpg

Bo

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

5.21.4 on 7X64.
    For the first time ever I had a small issue installing this beta. I got an error message saying "Cannot create or update Sandboxie program files". The message went on to say to make sure no programs are running sandboxed and that Sandboxie Control is not running. None were, and I did this upgrade as I have all others. Ultimately, I had to reboot and try installing the beta again and it worked fine.

SBIE error on install.jpg

3. bo elam

Hi Page, I never seen that message. The one message thst makes you wonder if something went wrong that I seen a couple of times when updating Sandboxie is one from Microsoft that informs that the program might not have installed properly. The message gives you the choice to run the installer again or to leave things as is. I think I have selected both choices, and either way, the upgrade ends up being just fine. Last time I saw one of this messages was a couple of years ago.

Bo

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

"KmdUtil.exe" possible failed/blocked (security software), hoewever. better to ask in support forum.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Prueba means Test.
    Guess he uses it for testing purposes.

7. bo elam

Yes, Prueba means test. But I dont use this sandboxes only for testing software. I rarely test new software. I always have one of this sandboxes in use for installing Flash. Its been years since I installed Flash in the system. I usually keep flash installed in a sandbox, and delete the sandbox every few days..I use Flash most every days for streaming sports but I dont like to install it in the system. Another thing I do in this sandboxes, I very often create new Firefox profiles for testing something. Whenever I do that, I run the Firefox profile manager sandboxed. I have a sandboxed shortcut to run the profile manager in one of my Prueba sandboxes, uually in less than 3 or 4 minutes I test whatever I want to test and be finish with the sandbox deleted. Lately I been using one of this sandboxes to test Nightly. So, really, I use this sandboxes for things I do in a regular basis.

Right now, after finishing this post, I ll close my regular Firefox sandbox which dont have Flash, delete the sandbox and open my Prueba3 sandbox where I have Flash installed to watch the Georgia/Tennessee football game which started a few minutes ago. :)

Bo

8. Brummelchen

i only run tetss in sandbox, only few apps to use in a sandbox - that is my understanding of a sandbox. thats why i dont have exceptions.

runnning software in the box means to have a lot of limitations, eg sandbox behavior in browsers, or hardware accelleration and some other not solved issues.

9. bo elam

I don't know Brummelchen, I disagree with your post completely. Sandboxies main purpose is for running all kind of files and programs isolated from the system. That way, you protect the system, registry and programs from unwanted changes.Thats what Sandboxie is for. Programs that run under Sandboxie, run untrusted. Sandboxies motto is, "Trust no program", and thats what you do when you run your browsers, PDF files, Office files, video players, RAR files, email attachments, USB drives, etc, under Sandboxies protection.

If all you do with Sandboxie is test programs, then you are not taking advantage of Sandboxies full capabilities.

Regarding limitations or not solved issues, believe me when I tell you, in my computers, most files and programs run under SBIE every time they run, and I use programs pretty much identically in the sandbox than if I was not using the sandbox. I really cant tell the differences. Hardly ever I have to make some kind of adjustment just because a program is running sandboxed. What you are saying is more so when you install a program sandboxed than when you run it. Thats because for security there are more limitations set by default for programs that get installed in a sandbox. An example of a reason for this limitation? you browsing and you get hit by drive by malware, it cant install. As simple as that, the malware wont do nothing but sit in the sandbox. But you can relax this limitations if you want, by opening holes.

Another thing. When I bought my W10, I thought there were going to be conflicts and problems with Sandboxie, I expected those problems. But what I found is totally the opposite, after 3 months of using W10, no issues whatsoever. I am using same programs in W10 than I used in W7 and XP, and haven't had the need to make any adjustments just because is W10. I run programs identically in whatever system, and set programs to run sandboxed the same way in all systems. I am going to tell you something you yourself tell people a lot in this forums when talking about Firefox and other programs, if you have glitches with SBIE in Windows, the fault is in your system. :)

Bo

10. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Hello, can someone please provide me the MD5 & SHA-1 of the Combined 32/64 installer:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall-521-4.exe
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
  11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Code:
    CRC32: DB669061
    MD5: E43027FEC591AC63CF65BE541DD18476
    SHA-1: 5583E436B4DB1F58BF765CE91C27FACACFBA9462
    SHA-256: 56C4FC622AA6A6116ACC09D5B201526058E73C9B2B07B32C79374E382777F8A7

12. camelia

Than you very much :-*

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Curious. May I ask why are you collecting checksums?

14. guest

guest Guest

i have a funny pun about this sentence but i won't tell it :p

15. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

pm to me! :p

16. camelia

A checksum is a small-sized datum derived from a block of digital data for the purpose of detecting errors which may have been introduced during its transmission or storage. It is usually applied to an installation file after it is received from the download server. By themselves, checksums are often used to verify data integrity but are not relied upon to verify data authenticity.

In my case I only want to be sure my download is ok, its not a common task for you?

Are you laughing at me? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  17. bo elam

Hi Camelia, perhaps this web page can be helpful for you in the future. It has the MD5 and SHA1 hashes for Stable versions of Sandboxie. You can also use the link for downloading the combined or separate installers for Stable versions.

https://www.sandboxie.com/AllVersions

Bo

18. camelia

SBIE v.5.21.4 is beta so Invincea did not post any checksum

Please take a look @ -https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=62

Thanks

19. bo elam

Camelia, I was saying, I posted the link so in the future you can use it for the MD5 and SHA1 hashes for Stable versions of Sandboxie. The ones for betas are not posted there.

Bo

20. guest

guest Guest

Not at all, i was laughing about how the sentence was made :)

21. Brummelchen

forum is down?
    i noticed also heavy loading of mozillazine last 15 minutes.
    maybe related or transatlanting gateway lag?

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Sandboxie forum up and loading fine for me here.

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Of course it's a common task for me, when there's no Digital Signature available in the installer file or I'm downloading a portable app. Otherwise you do not need a checksum.

Now, if a downloaded installer is corrupted during data transmission or storage such Digital Signature would break and be no valid anymore. At that point you can ditch such file.

Fyi, Sandboxie's and Shadow Defender's installers are digitally signed with SHA-1 and SHA-256 certificates. Ergo, no need for checksums in this particular case (Sandboxie/SD installers).

Moreover, I think is not a good idea to ask for checksums to other users as they are not a reliable source of such info. Not that they are bad or malicious people, it's just they could have a corrupt installer in their storage... Who knows!

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I can't access their forum from where I work and it always appears to be down. I can get to it at home without issue. I wonder if they are blocking IPs. :eek:

25. Brummelchen

destination: unreachable
    starting with packet loss in telia network and continues

mozillazine has trouble with seattle3.level3.net gateway
    problems are rising and it only concerns few forums (for me).
    http://downdetector.com/status/level3/seattle
    some can also assuming a massive attack

wilders is also telia network but nothing.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.