Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi page, this process lingering is only happening when running Chrome, right? My guess is that there has been a recent Chrome update in February/since SBIE 5.17.1 was released. If this is the case, I would report the lingering for Chrome processes coming back in the beta 5.17 thread.

Bo

2. bo elam

You are welcome, bjm.

Bo

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't see why they would stop developing SBIE and HMPA. Perhaps they could release consumer versions of Invincea and Intercept X. I mean why not, if these tools get even better, with that I mean a minimum of false positives.

4. Elwe Singollo

Elwe Singollo Registered Member

Hope you're right. HMPA is pretty safe I think. Good testing ground for them but I've never been convinced on the SBIE business model. Too many lifetime multi device and free users to support constant development needed to keep up to date with newer versions of applications. Sophos aren't Tzuk or Invincea, they're a major and successful business and profit margins are everything. If development resource doesn't deliver sufficient profit (not just keeping the lights on) then.........

They're not in it for the consumer market IMO but to enhance their Enterprise offerings. They need X (and HMPA) for that, not SBIE. They want consumer offering as simple as possible so can't see SBIE being integrated. Too many 'as of now' and 'no CURRENT plans' for my liking in the forum statement but I'm a cynical SOB so...........

Again, hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Cheers

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yo, Bo. :) Yes, it happens with Chrome. I never run IE or FF or any other browser so I can't speak to their behavior with this lingering.

What do you think about the setting I said I changed in this post? Seems to be working since then, but the problem always has been intermittent, so maybe it's just waiting to happen again soon.

6. bo elam

The lingering issue was (or still is) a Chrome 56 issue when closing the browser. It is supposed to be fixed in beta 5.17.1. If Chrome has issued an update in February, then perhaps the issue is back.

The setting you are asking about is designed for processes other than Sandboxie processes. But I reckon, if its working for you, let it be. I havent seen anyone else reporting the lingering. Which processes linger when you close Chrome?

Bo

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I use latest version of Chrome and don't experience lingering process after upgrading to 5.17.2. With version 5.16 I also had problems after upgrading Chrome to v. 56.

8. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I have not used Sandboxie in years but I am trying it now. If I remember right shouldn't the outside of my browser turn yellow or something. Anyway none of my browsers seem sanboxed as far as I can see.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Right-click on Sandboxie taskbar icon and select Show Window.

Then do ..File.. and select Is Window Sandboxed.

Is your Sbie taskbar icon not covered in red spots?

Does your browser title page at top not have the [#] signs on it?

10. boredog

stapp

my taskbar icon does not have the red spots. if I click on IE it opens ok but not sanboxed. if I click on the desktop sanboxie icon, IE opens but has to connection.
    even though I had appguard set to allow installs I did see some blocks. I suppose I will have to either uninstall it and reinstall with appguard off and if still have issues, go over to the appguard thread to see if anyone else had issues with it.

EDIT: found this on sanboxie's site but it is dated 2011 so not sure still valid.
    https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?KnownConflicts#appguard

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  11. boredog

tried adding it to guarded apps but that sure didn't work.

getting this error.

Attached Files:

12. bo elam

Boredog, the yellow border indicator is not set by default. You can set it up to appear in Sandbox settings>Appearance (tick setting at bottom of the page).

Bo

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Without going through this massive thread, I assume Sandboxie is still not compatible with Windows 10 Edge browser?

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Yes, still not compatible.

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thank you

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Chrome issued a stable channel update on Feb 1st, which was 56.0.2924.87.

To be clear, I am (or was) experiencing a failure to delete problem, that may or may not be the same thing as a lingering program issue... I am not sure of the terminology, Bo. But as the screenie I posted shows, multiple files and folders remain in the sandbox after closing, and clicking Delete Contents, as instructed, produces the other dialog I posted. This, by the way, is with auto-delete selected using standard RMDIR deletion method, which has always worked.

I am unable to view which files and folders are not being deleted, but the only thing I see running in the Sandboxie Control window is SandboxieCrypto.exe, which is why I posted the screenie showing SandboxieCrypto.exe and my subsequent setting selection to stop the program if it lingers.

And I haven't experienced this failure to delete/lingering problem since ticking that setting. Coincidence? Perhaps. :)

TY for your replies.

17. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Do not add it to Guarded Apps.
    Got to Guarded Apps>Settings>add, browse to c:\sandbox and set it as Exception (Read / Write)

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Actually, it seems your analysis make more sense than I thought. They can indeed use HMPA as a testing ground, so it's not likely they will discontinue development. But if Sophos decides they don't want to further develop SBIE, they can always sell it to another security company.

19. boredog

added it to user space NO as per lockdown. still no red dots on tray icon and still won't work. getting ready to give up on this one. noticed VS had blocked this one without warning . added to VS white list and still no go.

Attached Files:

20. boredog

after adding sanboxie to user space no I get get a dll block.

Attached Files:

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also put the c:\sandbox folder in the guarded app setting, with it set to read write exceptions

22. guest

guest Guest

Or just put sandboxie's container in another partition than C:, solve most of the issues with AG.

23. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Depending on your setup there may be more at play than just AG but to easily have AG and SBIE working all you really should need to do is add the sandbox folder as USER SPACE=YES.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23139&p=122181

What guest said, placing the sandbox folder on another partition, is also a good solution since other partitions are considered user space by default within AG removing the need to add a rule for sandbox as user space=yes within AG.

If that still doesn't do the trick you may need to take a closer look at the rule set you are using in AG or perhaps other software/tweaks(srp/al?) which might be involved.
    If you have SRP enabled, you may want to check this thread:
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23251&p=122944#p122896
    If you have AppLocker enabled, try this thread:
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23307

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  24. boredog

Lockdown was the one who told me to add it to userspace NO. then I think someone mentioned add it as an exception also.
    Anyway I didn't have any other security software running, only appguard. I have abandoned trying to get it working for now as I really don't think I need it anyway.

25. guest

guest Guest

really? you don't use any other softwares anymore ? Anyway with AG you don't need them :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.