Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

would be fun but Microsoft is like Chuck Norris or Master Ken (google it for those who don't know him, worth the view ^^ ), it doesn't need others tech, because they are all BS if compared :p

2. Elwe Singollo

Elwe Singollo Registered Member

I really hope so too but I think there is a difference. Sophos bought Surfright for the anti-exploit/logging etc. built into HMP.A. and I'm sure the Loman brothers wanted to keep the product going even as a test bed for Sophos Intercept. However Sophos aren't buying Invincea for Sandboxie which doesn't appear to rate a mention in the big picture announcements.

I'm sure it will continue medium term but will be interested if once the technology behind Invinceas's enterprise products is exploited whether there will be room SBIE in the mix.

Again, really hope so.

Cheers

3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Indeed, you are right. Would be a sad day if SBIE were to get lost in the stampede for corporate coffers.
    But maybe Sophos are not averse to the consumer market e.g. the provision of Sophos Home.

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Exactly.

SB continues to be a niche product, although it has grown over time.

SB is the only product I totally rely on to keep my computer clean. I almost do not connect pen drives to my computer, so basically I could get some infection through browsing and opening downloads, however any suspicious download I open sandboxed and my browsers run in the sandbox too, and as I have a pretty granular control of execution and Internet access in my sandboxes, I know it is very difficult for anything wrong to happen.

The only problem is this inability to keep up with browser development. This is very bad for the user and makes us look for less problematic alternatives.

5. guest

guest Guest

The reason i stopped using it despite it is a great product. I found a less harassing alternative.

6. paulderdash

ReHIPS in your case? Have played with the beta, and will again, when it comes out of beta.
    I have not had problems with SBIE, I use it only for browsing with Firefox. But, probably due to the number of add-ons I use :rolleyes:, multi-process is not enabled so I have not encountered that issue.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have a funny hickup in Sandboxie. I have Chrome so it always starts in a sandbox and when chrome is closed sandboxie deletes everything in the sandbox. I have a separate sandbox for all programs I use in sandboxie.
    That has worked fine, until a couple of days ago without me changing any settings. All of a sudden chrome remains "active" - in the sandbox, even if chrome is closed and no process for chrome is active in taskmanager. I have to manually, in sandboxie, close all programs or delete the content of the chrome sandbox.
    I use Waterfox in another sandbox but when I close Waterfox the processes in its sandboxie folder closes as they should. The only diference is that in the Waterfox folder I have chosen to keep the data (until I manually want to delete the content)

8. guest

guest Guest

yes.

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

10. paulderdash

11. sukarof

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Personally, I never Sandbox Chrome as Chrome has never been exploited and I set the renderer in Chrome to AppContainer. I do however force Sandboxie on download folder.

13. bo elam

Glad to help, sukarof. My thinking is that the lingering of Chrome processes started after you upgraded to Chrome 56.

Bo

14. bo elam

I dont know what to think about it yet. Got to wait and see, hopefully Sandboxie dont get hurt.

Bo

15. sukarof

Makes sense.

16. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Since the shabby MS W10 (retail) behavior, what happens with Sandboxie is getting less of a deal as far as I'm concerned sadly, much as I've come to rely on its great features and have valued it greatly.

The reality for me is switching to a Linux host, and running pretty much everything in Linux or Windows VMs. I'll be running all browsing/email within Firejail on Linux, the only role for Windows VMs will be to run native Windows apps, and in some cases, not have any internet connection. I guess I'll still run Sandboxie where appropriate, but it'll be less of a deal.

17. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

18. bo elam

:)

Bo

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

In my opinion, Sandboxie is a milestone, an "icon" in computer top-notch security. No surprise it survives to acquisitions of its parent company.

20. meatouph

meatouph Guest

Can't believe they still didn't fix the e10s. Looks like nobody cares. There was no info about a progress at all! (same like for Modern UI apps)

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

SBIE delete Chrome contents not working.jpg Browser fails to delete problem has returned. SBIE 5.17.2 (64 bit) and Chrome 56.0.2924.87.
    Problem briefly went away when I upgraded to current version of SBIE, but is now back.
    I don't know what to do.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

SBIE stop SandboxieCrypto lingering.jpg

I made this change in an attempt to fix the delete problem. Hopefully it works. Will report back on results. So far so good.

23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

@Page42
    What's path to Program Settings #3424.

24. bo elam

Open Sandboxie control, Righ click an exe running in the sandbox.

Bo

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.