Sandboxie 4.05 beta out now

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chris1341, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I finally upgraded the last of my three Windows XP Pro 32 bit PC's from Sandboxie 3.76 to Sandboxie 4.05.05.

Sandboxie 4.05.05 seems to be very stable on Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

2. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I have been wanting to, but I wasn't sure if it was still having major issues
    Do you have a win 7 pc? I wonder how it is on 7 :doubt:

3. TheKid7

I have Windows 8 Standard 64 bit on a Laptop that I purchased about two months ago. I have not used the Laptop for almost a month, but the limited amount of web surfing that I did with the Laptop seemed to go smooth. I do not remember which version of Sandboxie that is installed on the Laptop, but based on the release date of 4.04, it most likely is version 4.04.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

In my W7 32 bits computer, V4 feels as good as ever. I have no complaints whatsoever. In my opinion, SBIE V4 feels even better in W7 than XP. I sandbox just about anything that runs in my computers and I don't have any problem running whatever I want sandboxed. Thats how good V4 is working for me. In my XP, I have a tiny issue that is not even worth mentioning what it is. Other than that, its working great.

Bo

5. bo elam

Indeed it is.:)

Bo

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Running 4.05 on Win 7 64bit without issues.

Don't forget, if you try it and you found it was a problem for your machine you can just re-install 3.76 over the top to revert it back.

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Have you tried it with chrome? I've seen some reports regarding chrome and sbie having issues

8. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I run Chrome in SBIE on Win 7 x32 & x64 and Win 8 x64. No issues at all, but then again I don't use any other AV type security software which I find causes most of browser issues with SBIE (particularly slowness) as they try to protect the browser while the sandboxing process is taking place. The issues are usually solved if reported though.

The 4.05.xx beta series has run very well for me. I have never been able to force Excel 2013 to sandbox on win 8 x64 in the 4.xx series (although I can right click > send to or create a special Excel shortcut to fix it) but I have had no other issues since 4.02.

Cheers

9. bo elam

No, I haven't tried Chrome with SBIE. I dont use Chrome. If you still using Shadow defender, you can try SBIE V4.05.05 in Shadow mode. If you do, you ll get a good feel of how Sandboxie and the rest of your security programs would get along in your real system.

To make NVT and VS work well with SBIE, you ll need some workarounds, if you search, you ll find them. Regarding ESET, I haven't heard about anyone complaining about it so it is likely that at this point in time, its getting along well with SBIE. If I was you, I would be more concerned about how well SBIE works along those programs than running Chrome sandboxed.

Bo

10. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I have windows 7 64bit, and tried running Firefox 23 with my addons but found it was going dog slow during some browsing, even watching a youtube vid made the 4.04 and 4.05 beta even worser.

Any work arounds please ?

11. bo elam

Hey CatMan, perhaps you are using one of the security program that are listed here:

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?KnownConflicts

If you are, follow the instructions for the workaround. Other than that, make sure you enable any Software compatibility prompt from Sandboxie regarding any of the security programs that you are using. The above, pretty much covers well known conflicts.

I also run Firefox sandboxed, it runs well. No slowdown at all in either XP or W7.

Bo

12. TheKid7

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You gotta hand it to tzuk if for nothing else his relentless dedicated persistence. If he has to release a hundred or more updates in rapid succession for months, there's no quit or cutting corners with this developer.

He's going to keep making it right if it takes a Mars landing to get it done to complete satisfaction.

He may have got a jump on AX64's developer, but Isso is another jewel of a software maker that takes ambition and accuracy to another level no matter what.

EASTER

14. TheCatMan

Hi thanks for that list I see no programs, I have just installed that newer version and software compatibility box does appear showing microsoft security essentials and windows live and few other programs with a [+]
    around them, it does say press ok to improve compatibility with these software.

I think you maybe right it maybe some software causing the slow down, you feel I should reduce the programs mentioned or delete one by one just to find the one causing the issue ?

15. bo elam

As far as I know, MSE works great along Sandboxie. In fact, thats the AV that I recommend to my friends in real life when they listen to me about using Sandboxie. As long as the Software compatibility setting is selected, that should cover any known problems between the two. IMO, MSE is not the problem. What are the other security programs that you are using?

Bo

16. TheCatMan

thx bo elam, I am not sure I installed 4.05.06 which the kid posted and retried and not one single slow down or issue with sandboxie and browser now....

Been running mint, now I can explore and figure out a bit more to run sandboxie, hopefully can find an option to clear contents upon exiting browser would be useful.

17. bo elam

CatMan, to know the version that you are using now, go to Sandboxie control>Help>About Sandboxie.

About deleting the sandbox. You can either delete it manually by right clicking the SBIE icon>Default box>Delete contents or by setting the sandbox to delete on closing. You can set it that way in Sandboxie control>Sandbox>Default box>Sandbox settings>Delete>Delete invocation, click on Automatically delete contents of sandbox. If you set it that way, the sandbox will delete automatically when you close the program that you are running sandboxed.

Next time you update Sandboxie, make sure all sandboxes are deleted before upgrading. Glad to hear that speed is better now after the update.

Bo

18. TheCatMan

thanks have done just that in the settings, I noticed they have eraser 5/6 and other options in delete options, It would be been nice if sandboxie had inbuilt secure delete options, or an option to use ccleaner rather then eraser program, either way its running fast and smooth so happy!

19. bo elam

According to this thread by Luciddream, you can use CCleaner if you like. I have never tried it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=331605

Bo

20. TheCatMan

thanks interesting read, am starting to like the Ram drive option... just far easier and faster access anyhow

21. TheCatMan

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  22. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

23. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Got it. Thnx. :thumb:

24. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

I'm currently having trouble with sandboxie starting programs after using it a few times. For instance, when I start my PC I can load say, chrome and everything is fine, but when I exit then come back later and try to start again the Start.EXE just sits in the box and eventually I get this error:

SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service: RPCSS_SXS - Start.exe [00000102]

The FAQs say that communication has been established but an error must be occurring, which is odd since it will work once or twice before eventually not starting any programs. I've disabled the AVAST conflicts, (had no problems with older version of SB even with these conflicts on) and the only program I've added recently is Zemana Antilogger, but I uninstalled it, with no positive effects.

Anyone else having similar problems with 4.05,.6,.7 (I've tried all three) and 4.02 for that matter?

25. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Now that you have uninstalled Zemana, I would suggest that you uninstall Sandboxie and do a clean install of Sandboxie 4.05.07
    If this doesn't solve your problem you could try the Sandboxie forum which is very active and you may receive help/advice there. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.