Sandboxie - using CCleaner for secure file deletion

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by luciddream, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I know a lot of people in here use CCleaner. So figure some may want to use it for secure file deletion on sandbox close. I prefer it over the other methods. Here is how.

In the "Delete Command" field, enter this. I have mine in G: partition, but substitute wherever you have it, naturally:

"G:\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /delete "%SANDBOX%"

and include the quotes, btw.

I recommend having CCleaner set up to delete using Secure file deletion, simple overwrite (1 pass).

When you close your browser there will be a prompt asking you to use CCleaner for the deletion. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it carry it out automatically, and avoid that prompt... I'm all ears.

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Hello, try adding /auto at the end making it look like this.
    "G:\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /delete "%SANDBOX%" /auto

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Never mind, I tried it, and while it won't ask for permission, when I checked inside the SANDBOX folder, secure deletion seem to fail.

4. Snowden

Snowden Registered Member

Would this be more / less or equally secure to the default eraser 6 option that is provided?

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

The default option provided by Sandboxie to delete with Eraser 6 is, AFAIK, 3 passes of overwriting of data. (a single overwrite, the one I used in Eraser 6 before and now using with CCleaner is enough). If you want to have a 3 passes of overwrite in CCleaner, you can do so in the settings.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im using a program called ccenhancer and sandboxie is in the list of added applications that are cleaned.this is doing the same thing isnt it.?
    :thumb: :ninja:

7. mi3x

mi3x Registered Member

Could we use ccleaner portable to do this? Instead of the one installed? I ask this as I run sandboxie in a container on my usb, so I don't want any ties with my C: or D:

I tried it and it works, but as I have ccleaner also installed on my C: I don't know if they communicate :D

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I'm not sure why we want to second guess Sandboxie's cleaner choice.
    Do we KNOW that CCleaner is "better" than the vendors choice for it's functionality?

What does Sandboxie vendor say about this?

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks a million for bringing up this topic, luciddream!
    SBIE with Eraser is taking waay too long on my XP box (but I tolerate the long wait), and SBIE with Eraser won't work right on my W7 boxes, so currently I am using default deletion, which is not secure deletion. I am excited about the prospect of using CCleaner in this capacity. :thumb: I will probably configure it tomorrow... looking forward to it. :)

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Another option for automatic sandbox deletion when the last sandboxed program ends is to set the sandbox container folder to use a ramdisk then secure deletion isn't necessary. The browser will start quicker sandboxed too.

11. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

That's what I do. Works extremely well and is a touch faster as you say. Not necessary but the RAM disc also has a random pass deletion on unmount.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Since many users are already using CCleaner, why install another software just to have secure deletion in Sandboxie?

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I was told by the very helpful Guest10 on the SBIE forum that, "When using Eraser in Windows (Eraser.exe not EraserL.exe) the default erase method is Gutmann 35 passes." :eek:
    Thank you for posting that info, pegr. :)

14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I thought it was changed before. LOL. Talk about overkill.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

While the following does not directly address the developer's "cleaner choice", it does offer some insight into tzuk's thoughts about deletion versus secure deletion in his program. Back in May of 2011 tzuk replied in a thread I'd started,
    And several posts later on that same thread, tzuk elaborated a bit more...
    HTH

16. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

Kind regards

17. Escalader

If the vendor chooses "another" I'm not going to assume I know better than his programmer or that there is zero dependance twixt Sandboxie and his choice. I'm not that smart. ;)

18. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I tried this but all it does for me is delete all the downloads and not close the browser and erase the sandbox. Am I doing something wrong?

19. Escalader

Follow the vendors methods and tools.

20. luciddream

You must be, because it works just fine for me and everyone else apparently. Don't know why Escalader is so adamantly opposed to it?... All it's doing is securely deleting the files, just as one of the other methods would. This way I don't have to install anything else, since I already use CCleaner. And as another in this thread pointed out, Eraser isn't playing nicely on XP for me either. And I don't feel that 35 passes is necessary either. Good god... at that rate I'd have a groove burned into my hard disk within 2 weeks, like an old record.

21. luciddream

This is pretty flawed logic. I don't think anyone pretends to know more about Sandboxie than Tzuk.

Tell me... when you decide to install another AV besides MSE, or use another FW besides the integrated one, are you doing so from the presumption that you know more than Bill Gates?

22. Escalader

Nope! I have no idea what Bill Gates knows.

I'm not that concerned about the use of ccleaner h.ll I use it daily.

My only point was ( and you disagree which is fine) is the 3rd party vendor uses another product for these deletions. He must or should have a reason.

If you know better that ccleaner will duplicate 100% what eraser does in Sandboxie that's great!

I'm off now to do 50 erases:cool:

23. luciddream

Who could know? Why does MS bundle IE with it's OS when there are better options? Does that mean we should all blindly use IE? I think you know you're being obtuse about this. If you use an alternate browser, you're being a hypocrite here.

No, it doesn't duplicate 100% what Eraser does. It doesn't use 35 passes. What is does do is securely delete the files... that, I absolutely know for a fact.

24. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I've been Eraser 6 (35 passes) for sandboxie auto-delete. Then I run a couple others afterwards for an overall computer cleaning:
    CCleaner Very Complex Overwrite (35 Passes)
    Cleanafterme Fill the file with zero bytes, and then delete
    PrivaZer (In-Depth Scan)

My computer's been running without issues. No blue screens, crashes, etc. Even those it may seem redundant and probably wastes time. It's a practice I do religiously before walking away from my computer and before putting it to sleep. Probably sound like a nut.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  25. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Have you updated and turned on "skip user account control" in the options?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.