Restore Over Network From Backup on Win7

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by PhredE, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhredE

PhredE Registered Member

I really have searched her for >"Win7" CD boot restore network< but there's precious little that can help me.

I'm using Paragon Backup & Restore Home 11 Compact with a rescue/restore CD prepared for retrieval.

The backup of XP over my LAN worked well to a Win7 machine here. The backup is in good condition and verifies successfully.

Before performing serious acts on the XP box I wanted to test the process of bringing the backup back via the nix rescue/restore CD - yet, while it can see other XP machines on the LAN, and, while it can 'see' the Win7 machines here - the restore environment can't SEE INTO the Win7 box holding the XP-backup. Huh?

Usernames/passwords are in place and used (false unam/pwds fail entirely) but the nix CD can't see the Win7 shares. What's going on?

Has Paragon/nix not implemented the Win7 IP stack? Is it proprietary to Microsoft? (..surely not..?!?)

Is there some instruction somewhere about the 'CD-boot restore from a Win7 computer over a LAN' process?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I hate fooling with network stuff for recovery and always think that if I had to recover from an image stored on another machine, I would just copy it to a USB drive first and move the drive to the sick machine.

Here is a thread that may or may not help you. It is based on doing a network recovery with the WinPE recovery CD, not the Linux-based one that is likely what the Compact Edition uses. The procedure may solve your problem or give you some insight.

The actual "solution" is around post #!2. Be sure you get the sharename right as the original poster had a problem with it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=304177

3. PhredE

PhredE Registered Member

Thanks seeker. 'I should have known.' :rolleyes:
    Quoting carlk's text from the link you pointed me to:
    Time has passed - June 2012 - and things are slightly different in PB&R11 Compact Boot Recovery Nix CD.
    I didn't need anything like the e in parentheses '(e)' and I couldn't use the backslashes that you suggested: in fact I HAD to use slashes; if I didn't type them in, the program would!
    And, yes, browsing wouldn't work, but explicit naming did - using a UNC ('Universal Naming Convention').
    I had to enter a source resource and a 'mount point'. I must admit to knowing little about nix, and I thought the resource might be //server and the mount point the 'remote share' /server_e - but after a few failed attempts I deduced that the former was //server/server_e and that the mount point was local: /mnt wasn't sufficient but /mnt/disk was okay. The mount point seems analogous to a mapped drive letter.
    Phew.
    Thanks again.

Ah, I haven't yet executed the restore from the network remote resource, although I should. I'm rushing to put an experimental Win7 install on the source machine, and then when that fails... I'll do the restore. If I get that distance, I'll report in here.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Glad you got it working and hope the rest goes well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.