Network Drive "Access Denied" from recovery CD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Carlk, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

Before I make any backups I want to make sure I can recover from my networked storage PC (running XP SP3). This is what I did:

1) loaded the 2011 Advanced Disk Manager Suite Recovery CD in my Win 7 laptop.

2) In the Network configuration menu (from the recovery environment) under network ID it shows it is connected to the correct Workgroup

3)Trying to map a netwrok drive from either the tools or recover menu item I can see all the networked PCs on the Netork list, but every time I double click on another PC it states:

\\PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource........etc.. Access is Denied

(This is true with any PC on the network through a U-verse 3600HGV router/modem)

3) I have already checked the annomynous LSA registry setting is 0 on the PC I am trying to connect to.

I have no problem seeing any computer from another on the network of 3 PCs through windows explorer. I also tried the recovery environment from my Win 7 desktop with the same result.

Any advice would be appreciated

Carl

2. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

Well I have done a lot of research and testing. I have done the following:

1) Changed security permissions & taken ownership of the drive in question - No luck
    2) Loaded specific driver for NIC on laptop - No Luck
    3) Tried accessing W7 machine and and XP Pro machine -no luck
    4) Finally I tried to use a friends ShadowProtect recovery CD and I can map any drive on any machine. (This uses a Win 7 PE for recovery)

This is clearly a Paragon Advanced Recovery CD issue. What is missing?

Does anyone from Paragon read these forumso_O

Carl

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I notice the Hard Disk Manager 2011 programs Suite and Pro allow you to download a program to allow you to make a WinPE recovery CD which is Windows. Is your version one of these or if not, does it have the WinPE option. It is a separate download from the program. I sure get confused with all the different Paragon versions of the same "title".

A trick that used to work in some cases with Acronis True Image was to use the URL form not a mapped drive to access the networked computer - form like: \\PCname\drive area.

I don't think Paragon people read this forum and if they do, they don't seem to reply.

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

It's not explained but there is warning to never take ownership of C: or system drive in W7.

5. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

I am using the 2011 WinPE ISO and I had already tried the direct address and IP adress with no luck. Thanks anyway.

Every PC on the network (Win 7, XP Pro and XP Home) is denied access - no permission
    I tried the Shadowprotect recovery CD again and every PC on the netwrok is accessibleo_O
    I will see if anyone has an Acronis recovery CD to check that out.

It seems like I need to load something additional for the Paragon environment to work........

BTW: I did not take control of a the Win 7 machine C drive, only the XP Home data drive.

I am glad I checked this because the program is kind of useless to use for back up if you can't restore!!! Worst case would be to get a USB drive and transfer everything over and then restore...or get a program that works the way it is suppose to (Very frustrating).

I read another post on tis forum about someone having network access problems and it was never resolved, can ANYONE map a network drive from the recovery environmento_O I think most people just use an external HDD and don't know it doen't work.

Carl

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Just curious, if you have ShadowProtect, why are you looking at Paragon products?

7. seekforever

The ShadowProtect WinPE CD belongs to his friend.

8. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Whoops! I see that now.

9. seekforever

FWIW, I booted up my Backup and Recovery Home 10 WinPE CD and tried to access my Vista PC. Got the Access Denied msg too. I disabled the Vista PC's firewall and enabled Shared Folder Access, all to no avail.

I think you should go to the Paragon site and enter a support request. If you find the answer plse share it with us.

10. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

Thanks for checking your recovery CD. That will make 3 different people (including myself) that I know can't get networking to function from the recovery CD and zero that I know can. I may submit a request but I am pretty much done with Paragon,especially with the lack of support (30 days support and no forum interaction!!!). My friend has humilated me into taking the plunge to Shadowprotect, it is pricey but looks pretty good and it WORKS!!! They also are heavily involved on the boards. I like Paragon's virtulaization features but you have to do the basics.

Paragon drop me a note when you can work a recovery over a network.

Carl

11. wptski

wptski Registered Member

It was the on Shadowperfect forums where I got all my info on USB 3.0 drivers. There were several users there trying to get 32-bit drivers for that product also. I then passed the info along in this forum.

12. seekforever

I think I have found the way to do it:
    Remote PC called server running Vista
    Local PC running Win7 Home Premium
    This was done with B&R Home Version 10 WinPE 3 Recovery CD.

Boot WinPE CD

Tools -- Configure Network

Network Identification Tab selected
    Put in your computer name and workgroup name if different

Network Drives Tab selected
    Click Map Network Drives
    Do NOT browse (...) This is the problem area!
    Put name of pathe to network share into the A Network Share box,
    example:\\server\mybackups

The Windows Security window will come up
    Put the account name on the server computer into the username box
    Put the password for the account into the password box

This should map the drive. I tried to map more than one drive and although all the shares are now seen it says I can only have 1 mapped blah, blah. No problem since only need one to do a backup and recovery.

HTH

13. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

Thanks for the investigation, but sad to say I had already tried that approach and all that happens is it opens up a "Select a folder" dialog which lists all my pcs in my network with my 'server' pc highlighted. If I try and expand that PC I get access denied. I list the share folder \\server\backup in the "A network share" input box but it won't open the folder. It does not matter what PC I try to access, same result. This method or browse result in the same error.

Thanks, anyway

14. seekforever

Strange but I'm using the Backup and Recovery version and you have the Disk Manager suite.

The only way I can get it to do what you describe is to improperly spell the path or use a forward slash (/) in the path instead of a back slash (\).

One of the first things I do when I'm having network issues is to kill the firewall to see if it matters.

I first thought I had found a solution on the net:

http://www.megaleecher.net/Network_Access_Denied

I made the change on my Vista server and it didn't help. I then did what I described and it worked. So I put the value back to 1, rebooted, and it still worked.

After reading you msg above I accessed an XP machine share. Checked in the registry and the value of restrictanonymous was alread 0. I have since tried it with 1 and it still is accessible so that isn't an XP quirk.

Then booted up a W7 machine and checked and the value was 1. Good test I thought. However, I was still able to access the share on this W7 machine so I've come to the conclusion it really doesn't matter but you can try it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

Success!!!

This seems really quirky, but you are correct that the ONLY way to map a network drive is by entering the path directly, NO BROWSING!!!. The quirky part is I had to add the drive letter after the name i.e.

\\server\backup (e) and it worked on all drives on all machines!!!

When I took it out ....Access denied...you do not have permission.

Thanks for pushing me to keep trying (-:
    (Paragon should be paying you!!)

Carl

16. seekforever

Great news, glad you sorted it out!

I can't say I really understand the need to put the (e) drive letter in the path. Is backup a drive or partition or a folder or is that the sharename given when the folder is shared? I assume backup is on E:

17. Carlk

Carlk Registered Member

Backup is the name of the share drive with the letter E

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.