Released Sandboxie Plus (Sbie fork) Versions with Signed Driver

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm not a big fan of Comodo but I believe it will auto-sandbox apps if it doesn't know for sure if some app is safe to use. But anyway, how this feature is different is that you don't have to assign individual apps or folders to run sandboxed. Instead, it will make Sandboxie auto-sandbox apps no matter where you run them from. So let's say you download apps to the desktop, and the desktop is not a forced folder, then it will still sandbox apps let's say to the default sandbox. Or when this feature is enabled, it will auto-sandbox apps in the C:\Program Files (or any other) folder, even though it's not a forced folder.

2. Survivor

Survivor Registered Member

:thumb: thanks for the hint. Due to some need I had today, I checked the ini again and found this, wondering if I was blind all the time LOL

Yes best is to uninstall after a fresh start, so nothing was load yet. Then restart and install SBIE+. Just for the case, it is good to make a backup of Sandoxie.ini in Windows too.

Win 10 2004 x64 latest SBIE+ FF84 all fine.

3. Survivor

You mean, any program should sandbox? If SBIE has no set force folder or force program and you want any random program sandboxed, either you talk about ALL the Progrs should run sandboxed or how should SBIE determine what to sandboxo_O? :confused:

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

A summary of issues I found re Sbie Plus 0.5.1, so far:
    1. SandMan gui starts even "Start with Windows" is unticked.
    2. SandMan gui starts not minimized even the -autorun argument is there in the reg.
    3. Changes made to columns like hiding resizing sorting or even moving the whole window or resizing it, are not saved.
    4. Uninstalling Sbie Plus the uninstaller freezes.
    5. Overwriting Sbie Plus with its same installer freezes.

5. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Curious, does your Task Manager > Startup tab report SandBox Manager = Enabled / Disabled?
    Thanks

6. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Feature request setting for Sandboxie Plus: allow only this time/session internet-access.

Currently: always allow or never allow internet-access.

SBIE1307 Program cannot access the Internet due to restrictions - msedge.exe [GeenInternet]
    SBIE2221 To add the program to Internet Access Restrictions, please double-click on this message line
    SBIE1307 Program cannot access the Internet due to restrictions - msedge.exe [GeenInternet]
    SBIE2221 To add the program to Internet Access Restrictions, please double-click on this message line

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@DavidXanatos I would appreciate some help here with recovery of downloaded files on Plus.

I go to Default box, right-click on it and select Sandbox options..File recovery.
    I delete the options already there and enter Downloads for where I want the files recovered to.
    No download ever appears no matter which box or browser I use.

If I right-click on Default box and select recover files I get a blank box where I have to select a place...I enter Downloads folder (why do those places not sync and both say the same?)
    Is there a step I am missing out?
    On 5.45 everything for downloads just works.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 181614.jpg

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Enabled. Two entries by the way lol. Something's very buggy here.

Edit
    Unticking "Start with Windows" leaves one entry only.

Edit 2
    I think I found the culprit: sbie-plus installer.
    When I install sbie-plus for the very first time it offers to "start with windows". If I check that option then it creates an entry at startup but on every restart sandman.exe gui runs maximized not minimized. Afterwards, if you tick "start with windows" from the main gui, an additonal entry is created both in startup and in "Run" in the registry. roflmao

I deleted the first created entry. Now sandman gui runs at startup minimized. hahaha

9. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Please review: #169

10. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

@stapp
    FWIW ~ in reference to your #182
    Note: my browser download location is Desktop.
    > created new sandbox = NewBox2
    Folders are Downloads - Documents - Desktop
    png_8313.png
    > added Folder "Downloads" + Apply
    png_8315.png
    > downloaded as test CCleaner Slim
    png_8316.png
    -
    > removed original Downloads - Documents - Desktop + Apply
    png_8317.png
    > download as test CCleaner Slim
    png_8318.png
    > download as test CCleaner Portable
    png_8318.png
    and head scratch > "Show in folder"
    png_8321.png

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks @bjm_ for your tests.
    Perhaps you cannot input folders in Plus in the same format as you can in 5.45 ?

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@bjm_ where is the 'show in folder' option?

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

'Show in folder' is Edgium function -
    png_8322.png
    png_8323.png
    My head scratch is > where are the files?

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If I use Explorer I can see the file.... but it never comes out of the Sandbox. it's trapped there forever!!!

Screenshot 2020-12-17 155047.jpg

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah....Quick Recovery works from my Edge sandbox -
    png_8324.png
    :argh:

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Ok you're describing same issue as I did but not the cause. Or more precise as I described above, differently, the first entry is written by the installer not sandman.exe

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, I had not determined any cause.
    I had only determined that it seemed like I needed to disable Plus UI startup thru Task Manager.
    I had imagined that Plus UI startup was determined by Plus UI 'Start with Windows' checkbox.
    Thanks for adding information re my issue.

18. Rasheed187

I don't know what's so hard to understand? With this option you can sandbox any app, no matter where it's run from. For example, I have this folder on my system where all of my newly downloaded apps are stored. Sometimes I want to install them on my real system, but sometimes I want to quickly sandbox them.

With this new option, you wouldn't have to use context menu (Run Sandboxed) anymore to sandbox apps. Just double-click and the app will run in a certain sandbox of your choice. Of course C:\Windows should be excluded in order to avoid any problems. Also, this setting should not interfere with Forced Folders and Forced Programs.

Thanks for the tip, will probably install SBIE Plus tomorrow.

19. reincarnatez

reincarnatez Registered Member

That seems like a lot of extra hassle, for something that can already be accomplished by right clicking, and selecting the "Run Sandboxed" context menu option...

20. Survivor

But that is in fact what I asked, so you would like ALL PROGRAM started to be sandboxed. Otherwise, yes it is hard to understand.
    You can force one folder, from where anything will be sandboxed.
    Your can force programs to be started, independent where they are located.
    Now you say any app, that is what I asked, in other words any program, user started should be sandboxed. I think this would be a interesting option. Though still some programs install driver which might fail in a sandbox, so how to you exclude this, you would say ALL but then have a exception list, of programs able to start outside?

This would be like an option to allow and forbid listing (in older times we would say black and white list) but today we should name it different.
    So similar to a firewall, forbid all, have exception list, or allow all and have an exception list.
    That what you mean?

21. Rasheed187

Why is it a hassle when you can do it via one click? You can turn it off and on whenever you want. If you know you are going to install/run lots of apps inside the sandbox, you turn it on. If you want to install those apps on the real system, turn it off. Currently it takes quite a few clicks to enable or disable a "forced folder" which could be considered as an alternative.

22. reincarnatez

reincarnatez Registered Member

I meant more a hassle on David's part, as I assume it would take a lot of code and reworking of Sandboxie's systems. Additionally, it would be a lot of hassle for the end user, as you would have to go through manually and disable things until you were eventually able to get everything working. Doesn't seem worth it, when if you want a whole sandboxing solution, you could just download VMWare or something. If your whole point is that it would be "convenient" to not have to run everything manually in sandbox, why not just run an explorer window inside of your sandbox, like you're supposed to? There is a right click "Run Explorer" option for a reason.

23. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm into a problem whenever I start an application using Sandboxie, a message popped up that state:"Access is denied / Could not invoke the program".

Please help

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You need to give a bit more info.
    What operating system are you using?
    32 bit or 64bit?
    Which Sandboxie version are you talking about, and which build is it?
    Which browser do you use?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  25. Survivor

Check if you blocked the access to the path of the program you want to start. If you don't allow the sandbox to access, you cannot start a program from there as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.