Problem Logging into WinXP from Restored Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dcarrdsp, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcarrdsp

dcarrdsp Registered Member

Summary:
    After successfully restoring a Windows XP Pro SP2 Acronis True Image archive to partition, I proceed with booting up from the re-imaged partition. From boot up, all appears to work well even to the point of the login screen. However, when I login, the normal login window indicates [logging in...] then [Saving User Setting...] and finally, [Logging Off...]. I am then returned to the login screen. This cycle repeats several times over and over again. I've done a lot of research online and have not found any successful solutions to my problem.

Image Archive Details:
    Drive Format: NTFS
    Image Archive Partition Size: 100 GB
    Image Archive Partition Space Used: 12 GB
    Image Archive Files: LAPTOP_BaseImage.tib (approx: 3.8 GB)

In every restore attempt, I've selected the options to check the Restore Image before restoring and the restored drive after completion. In every case, verification was successful.

I've attempted to restore this image with the following scenarios:
    Scenario 1:
    Boot From: Windows XP
    Image Archive Location: External USB Drive 1
    Image Restore Location: External USB Drive 2 (100 GB Drive with no other partitions)

Scenario 2:
    Boot From: Acronis TI Rescue Boot CD
    Image Archive Location: External USB Drive 1
    Image Restore Location: Internal Drive (100 GB Drive with no other partitions)

Scenario 3:
    Boot From: Acronis TI Rescue Boot CD
    Image Archive Location: DVD Drive
    Image Restore Location: Internal Drive (100 GB Drive with no other partitions)

In every scenario, I used the same Hard Drive to restore to. I was able to use Acronis TI Clone Disk to copy my main 100 GB hard drive to the same Hard Drive I was trying to restore to and log in successfully. However, no such luck using the Acronis TI Restore feature.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

For a restored image to be bootable, the original image must contain your MBR. The only way to include your MBR in an image is to image the ENTIRE disk (by checking the box beside the drive name) - not just a partition.:cool:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dcarrdsp,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please take a look at these previous threads describing the issue: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr.

You may also find Microsoft's Recommendations for Booting Windows from USB Storage Devices helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.