PE 2.100 crashes...

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Flashfox-1, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashfox-1

Flashfox-1 Registered Member

...everytime I click on "Process Logs", PE 2.100 crashes with a "fatal error". I sent a DrWatson log to DiamondCS support with no response. I also tried to re-install PE with the same results.

Any ideas?

My system: P4-2GHz, 1GB RAM, GEFORCE 6200 OC w/256MB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme (audio), Windows XP SP2, AVG 7.1 Pro, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.x, CounterSpy (anti-spyware). All with current drivers.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Flashfox and welcome to the forum!

When installing Port Explorer, did you make sure all other applications were disabled, especially scanners and resident protection, maybe even the firewall (so off line could be an option if you do that)
    and did you reboot after installation?

For AVG you really need to open the GUI and uncheck all options till the systray icon greys out to have it really closed.

If all that was done this way, you could disable all other programs from startup after reboot except Windows itself and Port Explorer, try again, add the next program see if it happens then too, etc.
    This way you might find which program is helping with that error.

Hope you find it this way.

3. wink

wink Registered Member

I didnt get a crash just lost my connection to the net ... whether it was just a coincidence or not but my HW Firewall needed rebooting :/

4. ukwiz

ukwiz Registered Member

Port Explorer wiped out my AVG firewall too. Also prevented any connection to the Internet. Quickly got rid of Port Explorer!

David

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi David,
    Port Explorer does not wipe out other software.
    After install (with all scanners and resident protection disabled, maybe including your software firewall so you might like to disconnect from the net temporary too) and reboot (after which you can enable all again) you will need to grant access to the net for Port Explorer in your firewall and you might need to check other settings in general.
    I have not heard Port Explorer would not run fine with AVG firewall, so it is worth the test to try again with that one all disabled during Port Explorer install.
    At the Port Explorer website is explained about a few other firewalls to be temporary uninstalled and reinstalled after the Port Explorer install and reboot, due to the layered installs and protection.

BTW: you might like to try the new release 2.11 which has a few changes.

Please let us know how you're doing.

6. ukwiz

ukwiz Registered Member

I will rephrase my comment:
    Port Explorer totally disabled my software firewall

Perhaps your installation procedure ought to say that ALL protection on the PC should be disabled before attempting to run the installation.
    Does it have the same problem?
    I will!

7. Flashfox-1

Interesting, however, why do I need to go through all of that trouble for PE? I have installed many other applications from CommView to elaborate games and although some were a bit fussy, none required me to go through all of that trouble. As I mentioned in my original post, the only function that crashes PE is the "Process Log". PE works just fine untill I click on that tab. A second or two later, PE crashes with an access violation error.

- - - extract from Dr Watson log - - -
    Application exception occurred:
    App: C:\Program Files\Port Explorer\PortExplorer.exe (pid=3372)
    When: 1/9/2006 @ 23:58:27.405
    Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
    - - - end of extract - - -

I will uninstall PE and attempt to reinstall it once again... and yes, to satisfy your curiosity, I will disable AVG (set to to not load on boot up, shut it down, then reboot), and my firewall (Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0), and my spyware protection (Sunbelt CounterSpy).

8. Flashfox-1

2.11? Since when? When I tell PE 2.10 to check for updates, it says that it is the most current version. When I check on PE's site, all I see in 2.10. Where can I find 2.11/??

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.