Panda Free Antivirus 18.0 Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BMW325I, Nov 11, 2016.

1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Paid has a firewall, for one. And "wifi Protection" whatever the hell that means. It seems like they ditched their detailed comparison chart this year, to match Avast's vague list of services using even more vague slang.

2. waters

waters Registered Member

The paid version has application control

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There's a basic comparion chart here.

4. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

I have a laptop which is running XP sp3 without MS .NET Framework.

Does Panda Free require MS .NET Framework?

How much space does it use on the computer?

Thanks for the help.

5. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

From above reply and site, I can say that panda paid is also cloud based completely now.

So, paid and free are almost same except app control ( which I dont care much about)

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. loungehake

loungehake Registered Member

The aggregate running total of files scanned also seems to include URLs monitored by Process Monitor. I switched off the URL Monitor and the total stopped ballooning.

8. loungehake

loungehake Registered Member

Is Panda Free 18.1.0 better than 18.0.0? I use Panda Free 18.0.0 with Windows XP so perhaps any changes are not relevant to my needs.

9. greyowl

I need a link to the offline installer for Panda Free 18.1.0.

10. guest

guest Guest

The filesize is more than 50MB, so this should be the offline installer which is available on File Hippo :)

11. greyowl

Thanks for the information.

After installing Panda Free 18, how much space does it take on the computer?

Is there any protection at those time when you are not hooked up to the internet.

12. guest

guest Guest

Regarding the disk usage:
    I don't have it installed, but after extracting the installer and looking at all files which are about to be installed, the disk usage might be between 150mb - 170mb.
    But users which have Panda actually installed can you give a more precise answer.

13. greyowl

Thank you for the information.

I've decided not to use Panda because it requires MS .NET Framework 4.0 which I don't want to put on my small laptop HD.

I'm now considering Tencent or 360.

14. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Qihoo 360TS is very good, but recently they have added some ads.
    Tencent looks good too, but probably not as good as Qihoo.

By the way, if you don't wanna use too much HD space, you should use them without the 3rd party engines (Bitdefender and Avira for Qihoo, Bitdefender for Tencent)

Other cloud-only AVs are Comodo Cloud AV (I think it uses around 20Mb of disk space) and McAfee Cloud AV (around 60-80Mb)

15. greyowl

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I was not aware of Comodo.

I wonder if their performance would be very good without the 3rd party engines.

I would really like to find some current test results on Comodo Cloud AV and Qihoo 360. Tencent has been tested by AV-Comparative and scored near the top (I presume with the Bitdefender engine).

I've observed that AVs perform differently at different time periods so you really need current results.

16. imuade

imuade Registered Member

For sure the detection rate would be much higher with the 3rd party engine(s) enable.
    Here it's a video where they compare Tencent with and without Bitdefender (the latter is called TAV version)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXOBELQNRVY&ytbChannel=comsstv

It's in Russian and around 1 year old, but you can easily see the difference in terms of detection and performance.

Cruelsister made several videos about Qihoo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEcUOJrPEF0&ytbChannel=cruelsister1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGzjUavj8o&ytbChannel=cruelsister1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YpLwfnm8g0&ytbChannel=cruelsister1

and she suggests to either use only the cloud AV or add Bitdefender engine because Avira engine doesn't add too much and slow down the system.
    Plus, Qihoo has a great behavior blocker, so it can block malware even if it doesn't detect it at first.

Comodo AV is just average in detection, but they have the auto-sandbox, which is really great.
    Basically, the file is checked on their online database. If it's in the whitelist, it can run. If it's in the blacklist, it's blocked. If it's in none of them, it runs on the sandbox, where it can't affect the real system.
    There are still some issues, especially on disk/cpu usage, but it's getting better on every new release (which comes nearly once a week).
    You won't find much about Comodo on official tests, but it's default-deny approach is nearly bulletproof
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-76jo6R_6Y&ytbChannel=Security First
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbo5q8NCYi4&ytbChannel=How to Cik.Ro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHzrceWA_Jo&ytbChannel=comsstv

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  17. ance

ance formerly: fmon

This thread is about Panda, not Comodo or Qihoo. :ouch:

18. greyowl

Imuade,

This is very helpful information.

Thanks

19. greyowl

Sorry--I got things a bit side tracked.

20. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Geek says 120MB, Windows states 60.9MB. Why they are different, I don't know.:)

21. roger_m

I'm using Panda Global Protection. Windows, Revo, IObit, etc report the size as 73MB. Soft Organizer says it's 81MB and Geek says 146MB.

I had a look with Explorer, and it says that the Panda folder in Program Files is 149MB in size, and in ProgramData, it is 114MB.

22. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

@roger_m how's the firewall in panda ?

23. roger_m

It's very unobtrusive. I only get alerts from it when it thinks a program is trying to make a suspicious connection, which is extremely rare.

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Avira has always been very light for me.

25. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Edit - Update - Looks like they're not updating AV Pro, IS or Global to v18 at all, just free and the monthly subscription customers. They're even offering refunds to those customers who are seeing themselves being phased out.

Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Panda.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I tried switching from Avira to Panda IS, due to their 6 month trial offer. I installed it, and it was 2016, not 2017. It refused to upgrade on its own, so I was forced to download IS 2017. Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. It's still IS 2016. Downloaded ANOTHER copy of 2017. Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. It's still ******* 2016, but this time I have 30 days and not 6 months. Downloaded yet another damn copy of 2017, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. Not only is it STILL 2016, but now the program itself says I have 4 days of protection (with no way of activating without purchasing a code), and won't even let me trial the software? Yet in my account, I still have 6 months left.

How is this even a thing in 2017? How can they write a program that A: can't even autoupdate, and B: not have a clear and concise place on their website to get the proper version of their updated product?

I've liked what I've seen of the program itself, and I'd actually consider paying for it, but not if this ******** is expected every time there's an update.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.