opinion on setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, my new setup could be as follows

nod32 with Blackspear settings
    comodo or outpost firewall
    online armor.

or antivir suite and online armor. both are great setup i think but if I got nod32 I could then use 3.0 when it comes out. when ever I try av's I always go back to nod32.

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: opintion on setup

i agree with you; both are excellent setups.

let us know how it goes :thumb:

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Re: opintion on setup

lodore,

I'll assume there's a router in the mix (or an equivalent gateway). As for the rest - a highly rated AV, decent firewall, and some backup measure that is not a precise duplicate of the previous two pieces is a strong layered setup.

There are a number of different ways to achieve the same secure goal, but this does happen to be the basic scheme that I follow myself and it has served me well over the years. There's been some flux in the third piece, but the first two pieces plus router haven't wavered to date, nor have they been shown to be wanting.

Blue

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for your comments.

I have done some more testing and i seem to like antivir more because i always know what it does to the viruses.

im not sure if when antivir suite is out if they will do antivir premium without firewall still. because if they do i might get.

im just getting something cleared up in the nod32 forum.

seems ive changed my mind once again.
    one thing i have always wondered is are all nat routers equal?
    I ask this because if nat router are better than others is is worth upgrading?
    I have a bt voyager 2091 router.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd recommend you use outpost pro + Antivir premium, that'll keep you safe :).

In regards to a router i'd recommend you get one with a built in firewall, i have a Billion BIPAC-741GE V2. The firewall is very configurable with packet filtering, url filtering and intrusion detection.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

after some testing over the last few days i think my setup will include kav and some third party firewall link to other thread here, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150616

the testing went well and now I really like KAV, the really like the GUI and the fact it tells you what it did with every threat and also the fact i can set it to do a scan every day because of scan new and changed files only.

im not sure about how much kav+outpost+counterspy would cost thou so thats why i started the other thread to see what people think of both firewalls.

im thinking of getting one payed antispyware just to be safe. if i brought counterspy 1.5 in December would I get a free upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out?

also i have already got a nat router from BT.

lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.