Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

the image from Ocky is from the bookmarks button (heart), but that dont show speeddial nor is available.

moving from opera 12 - seriously? is that your only used browser or do you have something newer and not vulnerable installed?
    presto is so much outdated... it is not possible to compare opera 12 with any current chromium fork or firefox, you have to rebuild a complete other browser. and you have to learn from scratch about the features inside.

for firefox i have a speed dial which is installed now since version 4, for opera it was nice but pain - i use "bookmarks hotlist (launcher)" from chrome store which is only a button with an array of icons for links. much faster and more convenient than speed dial.

for a quick view it is always recommended to load and test the portable version!
    get a look and feel, take your time for it, not days - weeks! ask about features you miss and dont find, ask for extensions. IMO i had posted a list of extensions i use in opera.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...r-for-power-users.372796/page-16#post-2579645

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...-version-released.352486/page-20#post-2562200

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Thank you so much. Actually I use also the portable version of the new Opera from last year. But I go on to use also Opera 12: I know the outdate problem, but I really like old Opera GUI. But I know that I'll have to leave it. Even just because some sites begin to have difficulties with it.

Thank you for the link, I'll give a look.

3. Brummelchen

each browser has its nifties - and each browser i spend a weekend to discover the most of features and options (brainstorming). ofc all chrome forkes are similar but they are different in someparts. as a long time user for firefox i really had several attempts with chrome, opera, Vivaldo aso. disenchanting and knocks from behind. but - i also have opera 12 as portable present, but at least its only just for fun, i ever was firefox friend after i left IE behind with netscape. long story to tell...

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you like Opera 12, Otter browser aims to preserve and restore the best features of Opera 12. Same thing the Vivaldi browser project is doing now.

5. blacknight

I know it, but, even if I don't know why, I don't like it. And Opera/chrome seems faster.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

44.0.2510.1159 – 2017-04-05 blog post
    • DNA-60023 Crash at ManagePasswordsUIController::UpdateBubbleAndIconVisibility()
    • DNA-60094 Crash on startup at LoginHandler::LoginDialogCallback(GURL const&, net::AuthChallengeInfo*, LoginHandler*, bool)
    • DNA-60320 Crash at `anonymous namespace”::JobTracker::FreeResources
    • Chromium was updated to version 57.0.2987.133

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

44.0.2510.1218 – 2017-04-12 blog post
    • DNA-47203 [SD] Speed Dial redraw in a new tab after resizing Opera window
    • DNA-58322 Newly opened start page sometimes has wrong size
    • DNA-60480 High memory consumption with enabled VPN

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

44.0.2510.1449 – 2017-04-25 blog post
    • DNA-59680 Unable to add bookmarks to unsorted bookmarks if you have them
    • DNA-60474 [macOS 10.12.2] Opera crashes when opening file dialog with Touch Bar
    • DNA-60508 Some links opened in new tab don’t render
    • DNA-60626 Never ending memory use increase on youtube 24/7 stream
    • DNA-60646 [WebUI] Wallpapers wont load immediately
    • DNA-60764 Remove non-default-themes from O44 stable

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I've noticed that Opera uses less RAM than Vivaldi and website loading seems to be slightly smoother. But I don't like the way options are displayed, it's similar to Chrome. Also, the bookmarks manager is very unhandy. And why on earth does it always load the "Opera Auto Update" process? I totally agree that if the Opera and Vivaldi team would have teamed up, it would have been an awesome browser.

11. blacknight

The same for me. And again I can't understand: which is the reason for it seems impossible to give the option to move in the bottom the Tab Bar ? !! I use the portable version. May be that now it's possible in the installed version: http://ccm.net/faq/10554-opera-change-the-location-of-the-tab-bar ? I wish to know it alone try the installation.

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No support for HTML5 I used the ffmpeg codecs package from https://repo.herecura.eu/pool/ and extracted the libffmpeg.so to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/ in Kubuntu 16.04
    Now I have no problems, but I am sure that I will need to repeat the process after the next Opera update.
    I suppose it is the same in Windows.

13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Only older (Presto) versions support changing the location of the tab bar. Scroll to the bottom of that page and you will see "Latest update on November 13, 2010".

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That Opera Auto update is a real pain in the ...... I have it blocked in Appguard, and also I rename those exe's so they can't be found. Also periodically rate them and always mention the auto update as an F

15. Brummelchen

i have noticed it first with v45 dev (v46 dev also) - i delete that files but opera download it again. v44 final dont act this way.

16. guest

guest Guest

I haven't tested it, but this might work too: :doubt:

17. blacknight

Thank you, but, I'm sorry, I meant new Opera. In old Opera I know it, I'm using.

18. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

There are no differences between installed and portable Opera versions (new or old).

19. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

To disable the opera auto update, I just disable the opera_autoupdate.exe file by changing its name to opera_autoupdate.exx. I could just delete it or give it a deny permission in its file permissions, any of these tweaks would work. When you upgrade Opera, it creates a folder with the version number in the Opera folder in Program Files and that is where the executables are located. The opera_autoupdate.exe file needs to be disabled every time Opera is upgraded manually and is installed in a new folder.

20. Rasheed187

Yes, it's ridiculous, the Opera team should be ashamed. Also there doesn't seem to be a nickname/URL Alias feature for bookmarks. It's not a bad browser, but it could have been so much better.

Correct, I have deleted them, and it's also possible to block it via EXE Radar, but this might give annoying alerts.

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Opera is Reborn - new Opera 45 stable, vastly improved!
    EDIT: My initial assessment of the new version is pretty good. Opera seems more responsive and fast, not that previous version weren't but now you feel it is much better. Ad blocker is finally usable because you can add all EasyList filters. When you use ad blocking you will experience the extremely fast browsing, indeed. I'm so satisfied that I disabled Adguard except the user filter where I have some custom rules. Graphical changes in Opera 45 are very fashionable. Frankly, Opera with its new version has thrown gauntlet, imho.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  22. Rasheed187

I've checked it out and didn't see any true improvements, seems to be all hype. I do prefer it over Chrome though.

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

45.0.2552.812 – 2017-05-15 blog post
    • DNA-60092 [Win|Linux] Red UI elements in high-DPI with Reborn enabled
    • DNA-60226 [Mac] Crash at mojo::edk::(anonymous namespace)::ChannelPosix::GetReadPlatformHandles(unsigned long, void const*, unsigned long, std::__1::unique_ptr*)
    • DNA-60638 [Win] Opera pins back to taskbar after being launched
    • DNA-60709 [Linux Ubuntu 17.04] No global menu in unity
    • DNA-60721 Current theme is not updated when selecting it from “Customize start page” in some use cases
    • DNA-60820 MFDemuxer stalls after seeking
    • DNA-60853 Error about missing opera_200_percent.pak
    • DNA-60958 Fix messenger feature page’s URL

24. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its also available in an unofficial 64-bit build.

The x64 version differs in having a few additional MB compiled as x64. It says x86 but its really an x64 Opera browser.

25. blacknight

Not yet portable version ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.