Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks found that also. So far I'm enjoying Vivaldi. Is this built on Chromium?

When I had StartPage as the default search rt click search in would open StartPage but blank. When I changed back to Google searches loaded. Can this be fixed?

Is there a way to open Tabs in the background because I like to click on various links & select them after reading the origin page.

2. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

It is built on Chromium.
    About opening tabs in the background, you just said the name yourself. The name for that function is "Open link in background tab". It is still in the right-click function. :D

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

4. ABaird3

ABaird3 Registered Member

I'm liking it so far, I think I may have found a new favourite browser. Firefox has always been crashy on my system, and I dislike Google, so this fits the bill I think.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

LOL I don't know why I can't see these things at 1st.

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Well, it got the Facebook test today and passed with flying colors. It did indeed use less memory than Opera 31 and the whole system with a mere 3gbs of ram and a core duo processor was much more responsive. Opera 31 would use so much memory that I would get page file transfer burps and have to wait patiently if I switched between apps. That is not happening with Vivaldi.

It is very usable now. Not a substitute for Opera presto by any means. The layout is similar but a lot of Presto's features like the site preferences menus are not there. So I will continue to use Presto for as long as I can but I can see at least some use for Vivaldi. I'm not a one browser or one OS sort of person at all and use several of both.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I used the option to import "Opera version 15+", and worked really well...

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have they yet added an actual bookmarks button and please do not say they have the side bar. i know and i dont like it. i just want a nice simple button and NOT a bookmarks bar either.

9. Brummelchen

yesterday i try to migrate my opera profile on vivaldi- but it dont work at all. i had to reinstall all extensions from scratch, some need to import/transfer settings. bookmarks/cookies/logins fine.
    currently vivaldi dont support opera extensions by native, i had to download the opera-zip, extract and install from that folder. download sounds dont work. the speed dial thumbs are not configurable by size - that sucks - same as opera.

against my previous statement that vivaldi seems not portable itself - it can. not sure if feature was added now or i made mistake when installing as usual and try to make it portable. look stp.viv for more.

for my comfort i have these extensions installed
    - Awesome Extensions Button
    - Neater Bookmarks (this may be interesting for you @zfactor)
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/neater-bookmarks/ofgjggbjanlhbgaemjbkiegeebmccifi
    - Redirect Bypasser
    - SearchBar (pretty nice context search with overlay)
    - SiteLauncher [Speed Dial] dont work with Vivaldi, but Opera. can also be accessed in bookmarks.
    - Stylish ofc
    - uBlock origin (for all browsers)

and some more for cookies and that stuff.

for snippets i use the old chrome clipper
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-clipper/kenmcdanhnljigfdkodoedgpckoifnmd

you wont find it in the chrome store, but it is there, reason for link
    notes in opera or vivaldi cant be used on websites. useless function.

it is possible to have vivaldi and opera running several profiles like Firefox, just point to the profile dir as parameter, there is also a parameter like "no-remote" for firefox, but i forgot.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I want that too!

I'm having trouble some sites videos don't load & I don't know why. If I remembered I'd list them. :)

11. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I tried this browser, but out of only a few sites i tried, https://www.twitch.tv/ doesn't show the streams ? :eek:

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Working here (sandboxed, SBIE)...

vivalidstreaming.jpg

I haven't tweaked anything fyi.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

XP? NPAPI flash or Pepper flash plugin?

14. Brummelchen

NPAPI is not supported, should be PPAPI.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

how would linux users get flash.?

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/06/19/update-chromes-flash-plugin-manually/
    "It is interesting to note that the plugin that is made available is a universal plugin that is compatible with all browsers supporting the PPAPI architecture. It works in Google Chrome and also in Opera Dev 24 which introduced support for PPAPI Flash as well."

Article is a year old. Couple things. Does the above mean the universal plugin will mess with FF also?
    And is the way to do this?

17. Brummelchen

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have done a clean install of Vivaldi v1, and I really like it. Very cool that they let you configure it upon first start. And it also seems to be using less RAM and CPU time, plus extensions like ABP and Ghostery work correctly. It still misses a couple of important features though, so I can't make the switch yet.

And I also noticed that there is no way to turn off history, plus it seems to make outbound connections on startup and even when there should be no network activity. This happens when all privacy related settings are disabled. Also, I can't make Adobe Flash work, did anyone else notice these issues? Nevertheless, it's for sure better than other Blink based browsers, like Opera, Maxthon and Chrome.

19. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Flash is working fine for me in Vivaldi but not so in Opera Blink which gives me a notice that flash needs to be updated even though I have it fully updated.

No individual site preferences either among the features of Opera Presto I like. They have added some font control but not as complete as I would expect.

20. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/...ions-improved-dark-ui-and-more-import-options

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Note this in Snapshot 1.1.453.6

22. 59er

59er Registered Member

Also, regarding XP, from link in #395..."Vivaldi 1.0 will continue to function, though it will not receive further security updates."

23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I doubt it will affect the 27 people left who still use Vista.

24. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Anyone else notice higher ram usage while using Vivaldi?

To me, it's a tad bit more ram hungry than other browsers, including Chrome.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.