Not sure what to look for

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Cyiipher, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyiipher

Cyiipher Registered Member

Greetings,

I do apologize if this problem has been settled in a previous post, as I do know it is annoying to the community to see repetitive posts, when users don't use the search function. But I did, and unfortunately I am still clueless what i should be searching for.

Any help would be much appreciatted /bow

ATM, randomly my browsers don't retrieve the webpages I go to, so I'm not sure if im being hi-jacked or infected with a virus because I'm not up to date with these terminologies and technologies.

To be more specific, when i go to an average webpage, say... www.altavista.com it usually goes there, randomly at times it gives me that error you get when you don't have an internet connection, I think it was the one about page cannot be displayed yadayada. But the wierd thing is that I'm still on trillion!! and i can chat with my friends, wtf! confused..

I've run norton antivirus many times full system scans, I have sygate firewall, ive checked that host file and it seems normal. I check my processes, ran spybot, and now doing a microtrend online check. *PHEWWW* panic panic. I consider myself a pretty good IT person with watching what I download, and making sure im up to date, so if u guys could help me it will be much appreciatted.

(refer to followup post on that hijack this log)
    a)
    i) What are the normal process that i should have running?
    ii) How many svhosts.exe should I have?
    b) Any ideas about the web browser problem?
    c) Recently MSN doesn't load properly, on the load of the contacts it freezes, and therefore i have to force it to close.
    d) I've tried looking at netstat -a but im not quite sure what it all means. o_O

As stated before, even just taking the time to read what ive posted is much appreciatted, help will be even better thou.

2. Cyiipher

Cyiipher Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.