Newbie. So how do I make an image to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BenHardy, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenHardy

BenHardy Registered Member

Hi
    I got a free Acronis True Image Personal (version :cool: from PCPro magazine and thought it looked very useful. I considered buying the latest version but first wanted to test version 8.
    So I have it installed on Windows XP.
    Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
    Since I wanted to create an image of my system drive I made a bootable CD and booted from that. Instead of using vast amounts of CDs I wanted to create an image on DVDs.
    So I go through the process of selecting the system drive to image and select my DVD drive to create the image on. And then it spits out the DVD and asks for a recordable DVD! I've inserted numerous blank DVDs and the result is the same.
    So my questions are as follows:
    Am I doing something wrong here?
    Can Acronis write images directly to DVDS?
    What is this about 'formatting' a DVD disc?
    Is this a limitation of version 8?
    I don't want to create an image on a separate HD partition as there's not enough space.
    (My DVD drive is a Plextor PX740A and I am using Verbatim DVD Recordable media 4.7GB 16x. I have several applications for CD/DVD burning installed such as Roxio, CDBurnerXP & Plextools Professional).
    So what gives?
    Ben

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I think it is only from Version 10 that has the "direct to DVD" recording feature. Many users here who put their Image on DVD, use the 2-step method. First create the Image in Dvd sized chunks then use the burning software to burn those chunks to dvd discs. Some like to use a split size of 1492Mb as three of these fit on a dvd with the least waste.

Another reason to do the 2-step method is that if the size of your image is such that it will need 4 or more dvd discs, when it comes to Restoring these, there will be a whole bunch of disc swapping going on. The Restore process does not call for the discs in the order they were created. Also making the image direct to dvd is a very very slow process compared to using another hard drive.

3. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

I use ATI version 9 Build 3854 and I back up my drive to dvd's. I burn direct to dvd and it takes 3 to back up my drive. I don't split up anything , I just put the dvd in and let it do it's thing. In version 8 I believe you had to have DVD burning software.

4. BenHardy

Well, as I stated, I haven't the HD space to create DVD sized chunks of my system drive so that option's out.
    And as stated, I have DVD burning software but I fail to see how that can run when it's installed within Windows and I've booted from the ATI boot CD.
    So Squid, I assume you do that via the ATI boot CD?

5. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

The last time I backed up my drive I did it from the program and not the boot CD. I remember reading over at Acronis Knowledge Base that some burning programs gave version 8 problems and some didn't.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Avoid direct to DVD if you can. It is not the best way to make a DVD. Acronis know this and resisted the public pressure for direct to DVD giving in for purely commercial reasons. If you want a good burn then make an image to another partition or drive and then burn that image.

7. BenHardy

Oh well, thanks for your help. That just about does it for Acronis. There are cheaper and safer alternatives such as IMGBurn that seem far preferable.

Thanks

Ben

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BenHardy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that all current versions of Acronis True Image beginning with build 3625 can burn directly to DVDs. The prior versions use third-party software for that purpose, and thus cannot write to DVDs when using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Ben,
    If you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive, perhaps you would be interested in their free (Acronis) imaging software.

Check this link and there are many other links where this software is discussed.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196431#9

I believe this software is capable of making a backup image direct to CD or DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.