How do I restore my "system state" backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by COLATHOMAS, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COLATHOMAS

COLATHOMAS Registered Member

I thought I knew how to read and comprehend but I have apparently lost that ability with age.

I am running XP w/SP2. I purchased TI 11.

- Created and activated the "Secure Zone"
    - Ran a "system state" backup to the "Secure Zone"
    - Tried to restore with both a rescue disc and F11
    - Both methods yield the message "...cannot be restored from a removable media."

Ultimately, I am simply trying to have a way to restore my system to its original state in the event of catastrophe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

I've never tried the system state option and don't know why it would come up with that but I wouldn't rely on a system state backup in the event of anything let alone a catastrophe.

I don't see the point in it since unless something tragic happens immediately after doing the backup, the rest of the system will have altered enough to render the backup almost useless. I have restored from a 'windows restore point' and it creates more problems than it solves as the system state no longer reflects the physical state.

I will be in the middle of recovering from a system backup shortly and a million system state backups would be of no help at all, you really need a full backup of the system partition or whole disk if you have no partitions. Can you partition so that your data is other than where windows and program files are?

My C partition contains none of my data including emails, so I can restore it to anytime I like without it affecting anything else.

BTW, system state does not include program files or documents and settings, just system files such as in the normally hidden 'system volume information' folder and other 'untouchables'.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

As SparkyMachine stated, you really need a full backup of your system--all partitions both diagnostic and hidden as shown by the XP Disk Management Display.

Check link below to my beginner guides. You should find them helpful.

Also, check the "Useful Forum Threads" link for the topic of "Secure Zone & Startup Recovery Manager". Read about its benefits and limitations o the Secure Zone.

4. COLATHOMAS

Thanks for your replies.

I am just looking for a way to go back to the original state regardless of what has been done after that.

Can TI not accomplish this as I described in my original post?

Thank you.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Best way to get all the way back to exactly what you had at a partilcular moment is to make an image backup for the partition (or entiere disk) and resotre that when needed. That way you know you have all the same files, registry entires, everything, as you had at that prior time.

6. COLATHOMAS

So if I may be so blunt...WTHeck is the "system state" and "Secure Zone" for?

Thanks.

7. GroverH

Suggested reading for info about the Secure Zone (SZ) is:
    Xpilot is one who uses the SZ to his advantage. You can search his postings.

Security zone - where to create?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1149756

I do suggest that you read about SZ features--which includes both advantages and disadvantages. The topic Secure Zone & Startup Recovery Manager can be found inside the "Useful Forum Threads" link within my signature.

8. COLATHOMAS

Thanks for that reply. It was very helpful.

So maybe someone could tell me the best way to do this with TI (if possible):

- I build a new machine for someone
    - They somehow screw up the O/S or the HD crashes

I would like to offer them a convenient way to recover the system to its original state without the need for all the discs and drivers etc. etc.

I only build a few systems per month so I cannot afford most of the "System Builder" solutions.

9. GroverH

Food for thought might be a variation of the suggestion below as a possibility.

Seagate offers free to its customers a stripped down version of Acronis True Image. If you use a Seagate drive in the new computer and as a replacement should a replacment be needed;. Then you could download/install the Seagate software imaging program. Create the Rescue CD and then use the Rescue CD to make the image and perform a restore if needed. Your backup could be made using "archive splitting" and directed to an external drive. Then copy the *.tib files from the external onto a DVD or 2 DVD's as a DATA DVD and give these plus the Rescue CD to the buyer. Recovery could be made using the Rescue CD plus the archive copy stored on the DVD's.

Yes, you can create images and restore them from the Rescue CD.
    Yes, it is quite good for being a free software. It's primary function (this version) is to enable you to create and restore full backups without a lot of the troublesome frills.

This link by Mustang will show more info about reduced options as compared to the retail version.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175584#7

The above is not the greatest but it might offer a free possibility. If you use the retail version of Acronis True Image, then a license is required for each computer you build.

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/05/22/one-of-the-best-hdd-utilities-is-free

10. COLATHOMAS

Thanks, GroverH.

I'll give that a try and repost.

Thanks again.

11. Lofty1958

Lofty1958 Registered Member

System state worked for me a few days ago. When Windows system restore failed to work..System state restore saved my bacon. BUT it only works if you can get into Windows...it wont restore from a recovery boot for some reason because Secure Zone is deeped removable media from some reason?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello COLATHOMAS and Lofty1958,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that System State backup includes the boot files, registry, protected Windows files, and COM+ CLASS registration database. Backing up the System state allows you to restore the system files, drivers, etc., but not the data files and folders you use in your work.

Please be aware that System State type backup operates using Windows services. Since Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version) and Acronis Startup Recovery Manager use Linux environment, it's impossible to restore System State backup from it, as Windows services aren't present.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.