Network accessibility problems, especially Microtek scanner

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by drjohnkent, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjohnkent

drjohnkent Registered Member

I recently purchased Smart Security 3.0.621.0 and installed it on 4 computers (Windows XP SP 3).
    I have one computer running my Microtek flatbed scanner by firewire connection, and when ESET is simply installed (all functions disabled) the computer's LAN configuration utility can't find the scanner - ESET has to be completely uninstalled in order for the computer to see its local scanner (which the LAN utility controls)! When I install ESET and run the LAN configuration - it's gone again.
    I'm trying to contact Microtek about port configurations, but their support is sadly lacking and slow.
    In addition, with ESET installed on all 4 computers, it seems to be "hit or miss" to identify all four - if I turn one off and then on, it's a crapshoot whether it'll be seen on the network. I never had this problem with NOD32 and would love to get my money back on this software - I've never had so many problems.
    Dr. John

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

3. drjohnkent

drjohnkent Registered Member

Ahh, the ESET story gets better.
    So it seems I must periodically visit the ESET site to see whether updates are available? The program downloads virus definition updates only, not updates to the program itself? Interesting.
    I was using Kaspersky, like yourself, until my computer tech persuaded me to switch to ESET. Looks like I may "eat it" and move back to a system that worked.
    Why do you waste your time on this site? It seems from the thread that you pointed me to, that many others are dissatisfied to a high degree from ESET and the problems it's causing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.