Network accessibility problems, especially Microtek scanner

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by drjohnkent, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjohnkent

drjohnkent Registered Member

I recently purchased Smart Security 3.0.621.0 and installed it on 4 computers (Windows XP SP 3).
    I have one computer running my Microtek flatbed scanner by firewire connection, and when ESET is simply installed (all functions disabled) the computer's LAN configuration utility can't find the scanner - ESET has to be completely uninstalled in order for the computer to see its local scanner (which the LAN utility controls)! When I install ESET and run the LAN configuration - it's gone again.
    I'm trying to contact Microtek about port configurations, but their support is sadly lacking and slow.
    In addition, with ESET installed on all 4 computers, it seems to be "hit or miss" to identify all four - if I turn one off and then on, it's a crapshoot whether it'll be seen on the network. I never had this problem with NOD32 and would love to get my money back on this software - I've never had so many problems.
    Dr. John

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

3. drjohnkent

drjohnkent Registered Member

Ahh, the ESET story gets better.
    So it seems I must periodically visit the ESET site to see whether updates are available? The program downloads virus definition updates only, not updates to the program itself? Interesting.
    I was using Kaspersky, like yourself, until my computer tech persuaded me to switch to ESET. Looks like I may "eat it" and move back to a system that worked.
    Why do you waste your time on this site? It seems from the thread that you pointed me to, that many others are dissatisfied to a high degree from ESET and the problems it's causing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.